1/48 TBM-3E: which Academy boxing/s?

k5054nz

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I’m keen to build a TBM-3E from an Academy kit as they’re fairly affordable and available here in NZ, but I don’t know which kits have the right bits to make this variant.

I’d be grateful for any guidance!

11 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

but I don’t know which kits have the right bits to make this variant.

erm, a TBM-3 kit? 

The Academy kits are reboxes of the Accurate Minatures kits,  who did a TBF/TBM-1 kit, and a TBM-3 kit

Italeri also reboxed these.

The TBM-3 has new nose parts as the cowling is different. 

it has an intake on the upper and lower lip, and different cowl flaps

3094_1_aca12285_3.jpg

this for comparison is the TBF-1 kit

41469_1_aca12340_2.jpg

IIRC they do not have the right prop, just reusing the TBF-1, the TBM had wider blades.   I think same as later F4U-1 Corsair and F6F-5 Hellcats

3094_1_aca12285_8.jpg

Apart from the cowl parts, and some alternate weapons sprues,  the kits are the same. 

HTH

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

I was curious as to whether any of the TBF kits also included TBM bits?

some Italeri kits did, by accident,  I have two of the Italeri boxing, one did, (as in both noses)  the other didn't.   

I assume as they just bought in bagged kits from Academy. 

AFAIK, the Academy kits are what they say they are on the box.  You now know what too look for.

The prop detail is from memory.    Your photos do show a more straight sided paddle blade prop.  

• Thanks 1

I've checked Scalemates but not every boxing (understandably) has an in-box preview to check for TBM parts, I was hoping to nail down which if any TBF kits came with those bits as the TBM doesn't pop up as often. Thanks for the Italeri lead!

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I have two of the Italeri boxing, one did, (as in both noses)  the other didn't.   

If you don't need the TBM bits I'd be happy to relieve your burden?

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The prop detail is from memory.    Your photos do show a more straight sided paddle blade prop.  

Knowing it's the same as some Corsairs and Hellcats is a big help, thanks Troy! My photos aren't the best, this one from Wikimedia Commons shows my subject aircraft's prop rather nicely:

RNZAF_Air_Tattoo_2017,_February_25,_2017

Edited by k5054nz