1:48 Tamiya F4U-1D

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

sorry chaps

I finally remembered RTFM (Read The Flaming Manual) 😳

Tamiya mention that these should be clear blue, so I had the information to hand I just needed to visit my local SpecSavers!

Yes they're formation lights, blue is correct.

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm really looking forward to those RFI shots now, this one feels like the kind of build you see as a "how to" in a book or magazine. You should be extremely proud of this one, John!

James

thanks James

hopefully I'll get some RFI photos taken tomorrow

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Glad I  was of help. The bug 🪰 smash is brilliant. Those bugs in the tropics are monstrous. 

Potentially your Corsair could be the definitive war weary model.🙂

thanks noelh

I'm grateful of your help and interest 

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Yes they're formation lights, blue is correct.

👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

52238857892_2045e7a481.jpg

Mig steel acrylic color was used for a base for the various navigation and identification lights…

52239172217_7dfc76dc82_c.jpg

52239172212_b5acd31abf_c.jpg

52240438724_e7b04c1724_c.jpg

52240159813_929f4cf4d4_c.jpg

The identification lights were painted Hobby color H92 clear orange, Tamiya X-25 clear green and X-27 clear red.

52240492074_8871f251be_c.jpg

Navigation lights were X-27 red and X-25 green while the top of the wing lights were X-23 clear blue.

52240204571_14d1b5512a_c.jpg

52240693785_10413f8ca5_c.jpg

52240213488_9e00c190a8_c.jpg

The “eagle eyed” amongst you will have noticed that I’d managed to break-off the fin antenna, so I added a “replacement” fashioned from the cut-off from the “front antenna mast”.

52240783050_d34ca3198b_c.jpg

Also added was the rear antenna mast, if I’d have added this earlier in the build I just know that I’d have broken it off!, so safer to paint until the end of the build.

52240783030_d67ebfe0c6_c.jpg

Both of these masts were painted with Tamiya XF-17 sea blue…

52240581379_30338d914f_c.jpg

…as was the pitot tube.

52240324308_57eaeca147_c.jpg

The glass for the landing light was fixed with some PVA glue and the mask for the under fuselage canopy removed.

52239456752_4da96a434d_c.jpg

52240924775_81e52e74c8_c.jpg

EzLine was used for the antenna wire with a blob of superglue painted silver to represent the insulator?…

52239513277_f75c31fb75_c.jpg

…and finally the propellor nailed in place.

52240599101_ace1af126c_c.jpg

Next I’ll be taking some RFI photos.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

52240599061_20d1ea6b30.jpg

Well I’m calling her done, I’ve posted some (a lot) of RFI photos here…

Here’s a sneak peek

52241330815_7e0c70089f_c.jpg

I’d like to thank everyone who has help with encouragement, pointed out useful facts and interesting ideas.

Thank you one and all

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, shortCummins said:

sorry chaps

I finally remembered RTFM (Read The Flaming Manual) 😳

Tamiya mention that these should be clear blue, so I had the information to hand I just needed to visit my local SpecSavers!

John before you paint those lights blue please take a look at this https://www.recoverycurios.com/vought-f4u-corsair-wwii-green-wingtip-recognition-light 

Harold

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 16:58, shortCummins said:

Chipping was applied to both the edges, front and rear of the propellor blades

52197101057_fac51073e1_c.jpg

52198119603_d6b0b87f69_c.jpg

Too late I know, (unless prop is loose)  but props don't wear like that. 

At some point on here it was pointed out by a pilot, that blade wear occurs on the rear face.   Once you know, and look, you find examples... 

To do with airflow, but the back will often scour back to bare from the tip,  while the front is overall in good shape.

Marine Corsairs on crushed coral strips, very abrasive, useful as it shows what I mean about the front vs back wear

same plane

front - some wear on leading edge

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, note the lower blade is still black at root, but totally scoured to bare metal at tip.  Look at lower blade, bisected by the wing. 

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

Different plane, again, the lower blade  being in shadow clearly shows the remaining black

F4U_Corsair_735_VMF-214.jpg

True for any metal blade in an abrasive environment..

Hope of interest, even if too late to be of use? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Too late I know, (unless prop is loose)  but props don't wear like that. 

At some point on here it was pointed out by a pilot, that blade wear occurs on the rear face.   Once you know, and look, you find examples... 

To do with airflow, but the back will often scour back to bare from the tip,  while the front is overall in good shape.

Marine Corsairs on crushed coral strips, very abrasive, useful as it shows what I mean about the front vs back wear

same plane

front - some wear on leading edge

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, note the lower blade is still black at root, but totally scoured to bare metal at tip.  Look at lower blade, bisected by the wing. 

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

Different plane, again, the lower blade  being in shadow clearly shows the remaining black

F4U_Corsair_735_VMF-214.jpg

True for any metal blade in an abrasive environment..

Hope of interest, even if too late to be of use? 

thanks Troy

noelh pointed out my error with the propellor

here's my amended version...

52237823794_bf842a4938_c.jpg

52235736985_5c789c30f6_c.jpg

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

John before you paint those lights blue please take a look at this https://www.recoverycurios.com/vought-f4u-corsair-wwii-green-wingtip-recognition-light 

Harold

thanks Harold

I've already painted them blue however if/when I build another Corsair I'll get it right 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

thanks Harold

I've already painted them blue however if/when I build another Corsair I'll get it right 👍

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Actually no, the wingtip lights are navigation  lights.  Red for port, green  for  starboard. But the blue lights on top of the wingare in fact formation lights  which are blue.

That correct. In fact I  think the  blue formation  lights  are unique to the Corsair. I could  be wrong but I've  never  come  across  them on other aeroplanes.

Have a look  at Cookebnbachers RFI on Boyingtons Corsair. Blue lights.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, noelh said:

Actually no, the wingtip lights are navigation  lights.  Red for port, green  for  starboard. But the blue lights are in fact formation lights  which are blue.

That correct. In fact I  think the  blue formation  lights  are unique to the Corsair.

I was just reading about the information lights on Corsair that were used to send semaphore or code to identify the aircraft.

Harold

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

I was just reading about the information lights on Corsair that were used to send semaphore or code to identify the aircraft.

Harold

They are the lights under the wing. The recognition  lights. Red, green, yellow. Different to the navigation  lights, red on the  left, green on the right. Different from the  blue formation lights on the wing.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Interestingly when unlit the green navigation light often  looks blue but green when  lit. I'm  not  saying it was the  case with the  Corsair but on some modern aeroplanes it's  true. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Actually no, the wingtip lights are navigation  lights.  Red for port, green  for  starboard. But the blue lights on top of the wingare in fact formation lights  which are blue.

That correct. In fact I  think the  blue formation  lights  are unique to the Corsair. I could  be wrong but I've  never  come  across  them on other aeroplanes.

Have a look  at Cookebnbachers RFI on Boyingtons Corsair. Blue lights.

thanks noelh

I wonder if it's something to do with the gull wings? as the wing is "pointed up" these lights could help pilots with a better positional sense?

9 hours ago, Sergeant said:

Harold

thanks Harold

early Spitfire marks had a "morse code" light, perhaps these were similar?

9 hours ago, noelh said:

They are the lights under the wing. The recognition  lights. Red, green, yellow. Different to the navigation  lights, red on the  left, green on the right. Different from the  blue formation lights on the wing.

the lights I was enquiring about are on the top of each wing 

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What an absolute cracker John, great work.

Chris

thanks Chris

I've really enjoyed this build 👍

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Interestingly when unlit the green navigation light often  looks blue but green when  lit. I'm  not  saying it was the  case with the  Corsair but on some modern aeroplanes it's  true. 

I read somewhere that the "glass" was often blue as the bulbs had a yellow hue they would appear green when "on"

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

I also find that Tamiya instructions often quote blue for the green navigation light.

A suggestion for you. It shouldn’t be too difficult to remove the yellow from the rear of the prop blades while they are in situ.

John. 

• Like 1