1:48 Tamiya F4U-1D

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

Great progress!

thanks billn53

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

Shaping up very nicely, John. I really like the details in the cockpit.

James

thanks James

its a shame most of the details will be hidden

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yeah those cockpit details look fantastic John

Chris

thanks Chris

for a 1996 kit it still is very good, the cockpit detail is remarkable when you think its nearly 30 years old

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

52108530082_8e37159988.jpg

The Quickboost resin engine was removed, razor-saw, from its casting block and holes were drilled in preparation for adding the ignition leads.

52110066311_b52671c174_c.jpg

I had to modify the kit part that the engine will sit on.

52110066306_6a8d3f0ab3_c.jpg

Small strips of plastic tube were cut to length and glued in place to depict the push rods.

52112679680_4c6d6da225_c.jpg

Thin lead wire was then added for the ignition leads.

52112679650_d42f815dc2_c.jpg

The final resin pieces were attached and everything was then given a coat of Stynylrez black primer.

52112174641_4342bb8ebc_c.jpg

52111144382_148d0126ac_c.jpg

52112300671_d73523f720_c.jpg

52112804865_9fdac03388_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding some paint to the engine.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 14

John, So here's another build that you managed to sneak in under my radar. However, I've found it now and have caught up with the latest posts.

Nothing wrong with a bentwing bird. This one is coming along very nicely too. I'll be back!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2022 at 14:50, billn53 said:

Great progress!

thanks billn53

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

John, So here's another build that you managed to sneak in under my radar. However, I've found it now and have caught up with the latest posts.

Nothing wrong with a bentwing bird. This one is coming along very nicely too. I'll be back!

thanks Pete

the memo must have got lost in the post 😜

this is such a good kit, the "extras" I've added aren't really necessary as what Tamiya provides is really very good, if/when I build another Corsair I think I'll either only add seat belts, or use the supplied pilot?, perhaps an "in flight" version? I'll just add some wiring to the engine, I always think that it improves radial engines as you should be able to see the detail without having panels removed.

I've seen this interesting scheme...

19.JPG 

its for a F4U-4 so I'd have to do some research on what modifications would be required to the Tamiya kit, perhaps I could get away with just a 4 bladed prop?, as I do like the grey, blue and dayglo orange

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

What was I saying about well painted moulded seat harness? You’ve proved my point.

Great work on the engine, should look good under some paint.

John

🇺🇦

thanks John

I agree that the resin seat & harness look so much better than PE versions, "fabric" harness would be better but I don't think I've either the eyesight, dexterity or patience to try them at 1:48

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

Wonderful work John, that cockpit looks fantastic!

I must publicly confess that I've recently purchased a few 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs (they're currently cheaper than their 1/72 counterparts in a lot of places), and am watching this with great interest.

4 hours ago, shortCummins said:

its for a F4U-4 so I'd have to do some research on what modifications would be required to the Tamiya kit, perhaps I could get away with just a 4 bladed prop?,

I'm not up on the F4U-4, but it's definitely more than the prop; the exhaust is different (parts of it are over the wing rather than all under the wing on the -1) and the cowl is very different with some extra intakes. I'm sure there are more differences.

I think that Hasegawa makes a -4 in 1/48.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Very nice detailing and weathering on the pit.

Waiting for more of this.

thanks PattheCat

I'm hoping to get another update later today as I'm running away to Cornwall for 10 days so I'll not be getting any bench time

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful work John, that cockpit looks fantastic!

I must publicly confess that I've recently purchased a few 1/48 Tamiya Corsairs (they're currently cheaper than their 1/72 counterparts in a lot of places), and am watching this with great interest.

I'm not up on the F4U-4, but it's definitely more than the prop; the exhaust is different (parts of it are over the wing rather than all under the wing on the -1) and the cowl is very different with some extra intakes. I'm sure there are more differences.

I think that Hasegawa makes a -4 in 1/48.

thanks Cookenbacher

I'm not planning the F4U-4 in the near future but the info on the differences is just what I was after

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I’m not sure about the external differences but the -4 cockpit had major differences like a proper floor and enclosed side consoles.

HTH

John

🇺🇦

thanks John

I'm going to have a look at the Hasegawa kit as it looks as if there'd be too many "obvious" changes that I'd need to make for the Tamiya version.

Hannants have Academy and Hobby Boss -4's so its looks as if I'd have a choice

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shortCummins said:

its for a F4U-4 so I'd have to do some research on what modifications would be required to the Tamiya kit, perhaps I could get away with just a 4 bladed prop?, as I do like the grey, blue and dayglo orange

It a lot more than a 4 blade prop, it an entire new front from firewall forward.  There is no good OOB F4U-4 kit,   I spent some time digging into this. Depends how fussed you are, and be aware there is also a load right tosh floating about various kits. 

If you want the 50's gray over white scheme, the was also used on AU-1, and while the dedicated Hasegawa AU-1 kit is hard to get,  it's easy to backdate the F4U-7 kit, which was issued by Revell of Germany a while back.

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

going to have a look at the Hasegawa kit as it looks as if there'd be too many "obvious" changes that I'd need to make for the Tamiya version.

Hannants have Academy and Hobby Boss -4's so its looks as if I'd have a choice

If you want a straight forward build with reasonable detail, Hobby Boss.  It has its faults though. It's the best of the HB Corsairs, but only as the other -4 are poor.

The Academy is a copy of the very old raised line Hasegawa -4 kit, with an added error of a too wide spine behind the cockpit.

You will find many references to the Hase -4 being basically decent, and the Academy to being awful,  its cobblers.

I have a part hacked Academy -4,   and found the fuselage too deep and square, so I got the fabled Hase -4, and it's the same. Plus raised panel lines and moulded in engine.

There are -4 kits by Hobbycraft and a 60 vintage Monogram that gets repopped by Revell that are even worse.

There is also a resin conversion by CMK, though for the money you could use the Academy nose and wings on the Tamiya -1.........  Ages ago 

I was asking about some leftover Tamiya Corsair parts from your Thunderbolt/Corsair kitbash for just these reasons....  

If you would like more info on this, just ask!

HTH 

T

• Like 4

Hi John,

That kit isn't going to build into a -4 without a MAJOR rework.  You'll need a new cowling, prop, exhaust position (above, not below, the wing), canopy, windscreen, fuselage aft of the armor plate, cockpit (with floor), seat, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Best to go for a -1D and plan a second kit as a straight-from-the box -4.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

It a lot more than a 4 blade prop, it an entire new front from firewall forward.  There is no good OOB F4U-4 kit,   I spent some time digging into this. Depends how fussed you are, and be aware there is also a load right tosh floating about various kits. 

If you want the 50's gray over white scheme, the was also used on AU-1, and while the dedicated Hasegawa AU-1 kit is hard to get,  it's easy to backdate the F4U-7 kit, which was issued by Revell of Germany a while back.

If you want a straight forward build with reasonable detail, Hobby Boss.  It has its faults though. It's the best of the HB Corsairs, but only as the other -4 are poor.

The Academy is a copy of the very old raised line Hasegawa -4 kit, with an added error of a too wide spine behind the cockpit.

You will find many references to the Hase -4 being basically decent, and the Academy to being awful,  its cobblers.

I have a part hacked Academy -4,   and found the fuselage too deep and square, so I got the fabled Hase -4, and it's the same. Plus raised panel lines and moulded in engine.

There are -4 kits by Hobbycraft and a 60 vintage Monogram that gets repopped by Revell that are even worse.

There is also a resin conversion by CMK, though for the money you could use the Academy nose and wings on the Tamiya -1.........  Ages ago 

I was asking about some leftover Tamiya Corsair parts from your Thunderbolt/Corsair kitbash for just these reasons....  

If you would like more info on this, just ask!

HTH 

T

thanks Troy

I might just put this on the "one day" pile then, there's so many things I want to build and I really must work on reducing my stash before buying even more kits!

45 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi John,

That kit isn't going to build into a -4 without a MAJOR rework.  You'll need a new cowling, prop, exhaust position (above, not below, the wing), canopy, windscreen, fuselage aft of the armor plate, cockpit (with floor), seat, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Best to go for a -1D and plan a second kit as a straight-from-the box -4.

Cheers,

Dana

thanks Dana

its looking like I'll forget about this scheme on a -4 for the time being, I've a couple of "naked" builds, a Spitfire night-fighter, a Beaufighter target tug, a 1:32 Dragon Rapide (my favourite aircraft), another Hellcat and a RAF Phantom all on my "I want to do this next" list as well as my Stuka biplane kit-bast and Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire to finish 

rgds

John(shortCummins

• Like 1

52111270157_177593644b.jpg

A base colour Xtreme metal AK 476 steel was applied to the complete engine.

52113228942_785d93e48a_c.jpg

52114763170_fe3d376d54_c.jpg

“Normally” I would have used an aluminium colour but this time I wanted a darker metal colour.

The gearbox cover was then brush painted with Akan FS:35237 medium grey/blue.

52114283481_2b24bbb951_c.jpg

Ignition wires  were painted with a mix of Tamiya XF-64 red brown (40%) and X-6 orange (60%).

52114558304_e35a512dd0_c.jpg

Vallejo 70.995 German grey was used to pick out the magneto and placard.

52114361113_ce7f59b4fd_c.jpg

52113295902_75039f0129_c.jpg

Tamiya dark brown panel liner was used to highlight the cylinders and to grubby up the engine a wee bit.

52114586388_71c17a0e83_c.jpg

AK aircraft engine oil was used to “streak” the gearbox.

52115084580_4f64fb90f2_c.jpg

52115084565_fe542a088e_c.jpg

52115084555_533e09c6f5_c.jpg

52115084560_2e89931688_c.jpg

Next I’ll be messing with the cowl ring.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 14

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's looking great, John, nice work :)

James

thanks James

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Seconded.

Probably just me but I’d have gone for black pushrods though.

John

thanks John

its not too late for the black pushrods, they sound like a good idea

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That engine looks great John , cracking work.   Chris

thanks Chris

these Quickboost resin engines are really very detailed and its remarkable what the addition of some styrene rod and lead wire can achieve

I think I'll take up John's suggestion re the black push rods, but they'll have to wait until I get back from Cornwall

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

these Quickboost resin engines are really very detailed and its remarkable what the addition of some styrene rod and lead wire can achieve

They certainly are John, used a pair on my Ventura build and they came out very well, got one for my 32nd Corsair too, this is making me want to start it!!! Must resist.

Chris

• Like 1

I started a 1/32Trumpeter Corsair a few years ago and it took so long to put the engine together that I lost interest and put it back in the box, attention span of a dead rabbit, that’s  me. Perhaps I’ll dig it out again, I’ve only got about five other ongoing projects at the moment!

Stay safe.

John

• Haha 1