It had to be done...Churchill Class Submarine- HMS Courageous

19 hours ago, Flankerman said:

anti-slip surface along the top of the hull?

Indeed it did...

This is the forward section here

20220530-114337.jpg

IIRC, the aft section ran to just past those parallel lines running along the hull.

Not sure if you're interested but the forward and aft escape hatches had a gloss surround, this gloss surface was for DSRV mating, just sayin'

Stuart

• Like 7

Little update.

20220607-101907.jpg

Thinking of how to do a rope ladder and decided to use a PE ladder. Also cleaned up a few masts that will go in at the end 'cos you know what'll happen.

20220607-104506.jpg

And now its primed with AK 3rd Gen grey primer, went on lovely.

Stuart

• Like 12

The one copy of this kit I have built already had those same dots on the edge of each hull half...but only on one side, like yours. My second doesn't have that issue. Strange. Loving your build. Can't wait to see more. 

Dave

9 hours ago, ssn705 said:

My second doesn't have that issue. Strange. Loving your build. Can't wait to see more. 

Cheers Dave, much appreciated. You second, was this a replacement or are actually building a second?

Anyways...

20220609-114143.jpg

AK Matt black applied overall, deck anti-skid area masked and then gloss applied overall for the decals. The 'incorrect' decals were applied and handled well, pity that they are white when they should be red :wall:.

20220609-114205.jpg

Decals applied at the aft end too. Another oversight by MikroMir was the absence of the draught marks for the leading edge of the rudder. I had a spare Resolution Class, so I pinched and edited a suitable candidate.

Now, as I have said before, these markings should be red, so I'm carrying out and experiment with white decals applied on a black tile and I'm going to see if I can carefully paint over the white before going for broke.

On 6/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, robgizlu said:

It's the little details

It is indeed Rob and the ladder was a give way...

28301_105959856119066_239445_n.jpg?_nc_c

I'll be doing a similar idea to this.

20220609-120355.jpg

Don't be to harsh about my figure painting and no, I'm not painting faces :fraidnot:.

Stuart

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Don't be to harsh about my figure painting and no, I'm not painting faces

So which one is going to be you?

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought two. One was quickly built for a RN submarine officer coworker (wanted to make the anniversary of the Falklands) while the second will be built later for me... After I get through a long list of other boats.

Love the scene you are putting together there. Maybe one day I'll get my act together and try a diorama of my own experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice work, mate :). 

Cheers Martin, always nice to see an aviation guru dripping into the dark side.

20220610-084406.jpg

That was a bit nerve racking. Diluted red paint was applied in layers over the decal. The photos do not show my work in good light but sitting on the bench, those red markings are miles better than the stark white ones.

Stuart

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Courageous said:
15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So which one is going to be you?

The one in the water...

The guy with arms raised begging for a life-ring? 😁

Seriously, I've found photos too are not always flattering to a model but I think what you've done looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As an experiment can you try spraying clear red over the white markings?

I think that it might make the black darker but not necessarily red. The white markings may look pink at first but after several light passes may appear red, just a thought

Pappy

11 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think what you've done looks very good.

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That red paint has worked very well Stuart, nice one!

Cheers Jeff and Terry.

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

clear red

Cheers Pappy but a bit late as I've already done the job. I will definitely look at using clear red in the future if needed.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

I like the diorama idea

you including a king neptune ? 

cheers

jerry

And don't forget the seagulls. 🐦 We don't want to upset @longshanks do we?

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

Very nice indeed

Im starting to miss the sea time, wonder if they will let me go back aged 60+

i will always remember doing a hands to bathe off Andros ON Sceptre with a oil drum BBQ with a bridge lookout (armed), we was relieved after 5 minutes (watch change) and   replaced by a another with a stick

• Like 2

22 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

king neptune ? 

He was busy elsewhere.

20 hours ago, Martian said:

And don't forget the seagulls.

As you can from photo, no seagulls present. Besides, we were more interested in keeping away from the big fish with big pointy teeth. 🦈

13 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

hands to bathe

Good olde days.

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

giving the scale

It's something I try to do where possible but with some 1/700 builds awaiting my attention, I don't think I'd be that enthusiastic with adding figures but if needs must...

Nothing on the boat over the weekend, 1:1 scale stuff needing attention. Just got couple of jobs to do before sorting out the seascape.

Stuart

• Like 3

Stuart - those numbers have come out really well.  What paint did you use exactly?  It's so easy to get "white" numbers and letters.  I had considered painting them previously but dismissed it as impractical.  You've proven me wrong!!

Rob

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of an update but the fine weather has got me out to the local bird lakes.

I will say the boat has been set in its base, base has been painted and the acrylic gel has been lathered on...update tomorrow.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, robgizlu said:

What paint did you use exactly?

I used an acrylic red that was thinned 70/40 water/paint and applied in 2-3 layers. It was suggested to use a 'clear red' and may well give that go when the problem arises in the future.

Stuart 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It’s great to hear that it is coming together, Stuart. :) I am also intrigued - bird lakes? You are a birder?

I was about to ask same!

Terry

• Like 1