Hasegawa Honda RA272E 1:24 ++FINISHED++

I wasn't sure whether to do another kit for this group build; but I had some left over paint that I mixed for my Honda RC-166 build, which would be perfect for the engine of this kit.

The RA272 was the first Honda Grand Prix car to win a race (the 1965 Mexican GP in the hands of Richie Ginther, I believe).  Hasegawa offered at least two boxings of the car, one for the Mexican GP and one for the USA GP, having an eye for a bargain I bought the US GP version as it was available at a discount.  I was pleased to discover one of my favourite GP cars in my preferred modelling scale because I didn't really want to have a car in an odd scale, despite the temptation of Tamiya's 1:20 scale kit.

y4m4RqwU6_0zx6hQEq0a1Msm830dQzTWGTo4a-XR

The box art is lovely.

y4mtRvJDI6qyYP9cXc4hbzW5y32YS4g3sSSj9-G1

Obligatory sprue photo.

y4miQ2gp77BnmZOqCUqnsLZFEKQrI6VC5IH2UDep

Instructions seem fairly straightforward, the black and white reference photos don't really help.

y4mjezSljA21tBQYSpuYDR0kZIvyEzAvCPmkIgqe

The first step is to assemble the cockpit interior.

y4mnvDfinzJfBR_q9mcXJL3umzdeb0blq1lbNy6H

For the USA GP the side vents on the engine cowling need removing.  If I'd got any sense I'd have left these on and built the Mexico GP version as I'm sure that'd be easier.  There are also faint parting lines to deal with.

y4mxy3T6ZZNGsfV87xolfqrpLlqYKA1reM7-SHX3

Vents removed as best I could.  Hopefully the rear suspension will distract from any imperfections here.

y4mytKKDabto_8Cb_xi6pYcUFwFeZHX1rJT3y0Fm

Test fitting to ensure the interior fits.

y4mGY3JvdjuhEgS_Rflg0Uu3zPrIKg5XSOhFltyv

Basic parts of the 1.5-litre DOHC V12, it is tiny compared with most 1:24 car engines.  This was also the first indication that we're not in Tamiya country anymore, location pins are something that happen to other kits (to be fair much of the kit isn't this bad).

y4my39ewSYiYNGf_0Bw_Y-p7THgmoWKMdwFKALEh

It goes together just about well enough.

y4mzNHrBoQw6A0h6ifDYEmuftTaajWzO6GHipm4r

Mock-up of the body.

y4mck0Ji-vRqSRpJ9_ZU9LY_i7jcXf2wu2VUZbn5

Various parts primed, the floor to the body is only dry fitted for painting.

y4mmzX-PzIvHArpApX1v3Tom-ALeJQwI7vdov0Jg

Tyres are pretty clean but have no letters on the sidewalls and will need sanding to remove the centre seam.

y4mHnQR6azt5xT9RHGziT7HWovRO3klTubmhkYFP

There are some rub-on transfers for the tyre letters.

y4mjES_-BJKIVtts5OaMxGhDr0JmiwfRzBAn4PEU

Another difficult part was the exhaust, especially the set that goes next to the cockpit.  The engine was used as a jig to help align the header pipes.

y4mJrCvt174-5QvMi66syrQhusIL-qmLWETQTlj7

Having initially elected to prime the exhausts on the sprue I changed my mind and decided that they would be better assembled, re-primed and sprayed as complete assemblies.  To aid with spraying and for added realism, the tail ends of the pipes have been drilled out.

That's it so far.  I hope this will be another quick build.

Edited by johnlambert
  • Like 9

Wow, you're really motoring through these kits. It will be interesting to see how this goes together compared to the Tamiya RA272 kit. I'm 100% sure you will have finished this one before I'm done.

• Thanks 1

I've always been interested to see what these single seater kits look like in 1/24th, my main concern would be how flimsy the suspension arms are - do they seem up to the job?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scargsy said:

I've always been interested to see what these single seater kits look like in 1/24th, my main concern would be how flimsy the suspension arms are - do they seem up to the job?

I've just assembled the suspension and for what it is, it feels quite robust for what it is.  The rear suspension is quite fiddly but once it's together seems to have a reasonable amount of integrity.  The front upper wishbones are solid and moulded into the crossmember which isn't the most accurate way to reproduce these parts, but the inner mounting is normally hidden by the bodywork and doing it this way makes stronger.  That said, the front hub uprights are a snap fit into the wishbones and pressing them together feels like it might break something.  I hope it will be sturdy enough when the wheels and tyres go on.

• Like 1

OK, this is coming together very quickly considering how tricky some parts of the build have been.

y4mIe9-7opMUd1AqFAdQNY0sEZxMbP7u4Y7vi2Lr

Everything is painted up for the engine, transmission and rear suspension.  The suspension links are quite fine and slightly difficult to get into place but once they are they feel reasonably sturdy.  The engine really needs better intake trumpets and some plumbing for the injection system, in all honesty I'm just going to glue the engine cover down, but maybe in the future I'll tackle this kit again.

y4mNfS0abdWSm08tVajU_f2x7AuImFC4OOZlpdl8

I lost count of the number of times I snapped off and re-glued the strut that supports the exhaust.  Also, getting the part with the springs over the transmission casing is quite a nerve-wracking business as it is a very tight fit and feels like something will break.

y4micFVFRQJGhmO0BiGfLbs9KMa-WaCqYebYJWbX

The other side of the engine, I thought this part of the exhaust would be difficult but it actually went on quite easily.

y4mkR4zdzzyjsADLpFb49QYwAx54gkc2-q4wiWe-

The interior tub was painted up with Tamiya NATO black for the seat and X18 Semi Gloss Black for the sides.  The cockpit edges were masked and sprayed the same satin black.  The nose cone has it's Honda badge and race number applied, these went on well but it's very hard to work out if the "H" badge is in the right place.

y4mWZPguL78RqfM99Qu_HuFBm1IINxMqPK_rU28x

The engine assembly glues to the cockpit floor, which then slides into the body assembly.  The advantage of this is that you can tweak the position to ensure the suspension radius rods fit properly.  Reference photos show that different pick-up points were used at different races, for the Mexico GP the upper link was mounted on the lower of the two mountings.

y4m9lE8INe9YYynugUwtse_JY1PG-waYC1fRqmkI

An underside photo.

y4mIKXG1pcN5rxx4pCDP5Vsegll7nYDpVgqq--BN

Another mock-up.

y4mGw2m4ZzJ_UYum35FgRXcEznnw4pT6sM9vbM0B

The front suspension has been added, the lower wishbones are a tight fit into their mountings, there are some sturdy pins that are very well hidden on the finished model.  As previously mentioned, snapping the suspension uprights into the wishbones is a bit uncomfortable as they are a very tight fit.

That's it for now, I've not forgotten the Toyota Celsior build and the final update should be ready soon.

• Like 6

Nearly there with this one!  I got it into my head to add a few extra details but they didn't take long to bodge together.

y4mqOXqmvtaGmO1ZaSeVY68owMk6J6i35_ChsWnD

I wasn't happy with the mesh for the air intake/radiator in the nose cone, so I cut out some wire mesh to sit ahead of the kit part.

y4m33Uu4Wk3sky9TNWQnKRTWnbh0ajIJGNmWtWh4

The glazing has a little flash to clean up.

y4mkH7tjU4q9ZBNgasZJ3p9o4xfFlLKqhnb5CHcl

On nearly every photo of the RA272 where you can see the suspension the brake lines are quite noticeable, so I decided to represent them.  I'd previously drilled holes in the brake callipers to hold them for painting.  There is space to run the wire across the car, which makes it a lot easier as it stays in place much more easily this way.

y4m4NgiRKaL4TtiDAfYcvN2EpciZL2H2zKijhOnb

A bit of bending with tweezers got the shape just about right.

y4ml1IEPrgLY4M9_HBAwsMGIKnu-UpDzMmMHprhj

Another prominent detail is a couple of silver pipes that run along the top of the cockpit, a piece of silver wire was bent to roughly the right shape.

y4mAkeRFkFgvCZHcKjXbvwFwV6FKWkXSIUlv2pSC

The first part was used as a template to make the second.

y4mVEwJ3kDDsC7i04tmLDBdQhBvoyFI-DqeTUVIG

Pipes glued in place, I also checked reference photos to see if the RA272 had a harness but I couldn't see any evidence of one.

y4m6AE70Ra2hWjEF7rVx4CydwsgzE4u9UxqRx0Si

Brake lines were added at the rear and there is also a small silver pipe that goes to the black box on top of the transaxle.

y4mFumkKrjOcA5x2qiil2qb4_lvezrcly3JUNW2y

The nose cone has been glued on and more decals were added.  You can also see that some fasteners have been picked out in aluminium paint.

y4meru9_hpVMcyZzhdaDSUJ21fjQdhwdotoaUvXQ

Another part that was visible on reference photos was a heat shield above the exhaust. I cut a thin piece of styrene to represent this, it will be painted and should help disguise the lack of injection system once the engine cover goes on.

y4m0mDiD2tg0MLNx4S7LhVJcfVfF6JTMveVx_-Lw

The wheels and tyres (complete with decals) are on, as is the rising sun decal which needs a lot of decal solution to help it sit over the contours of the body.  The engine cover and wing mirrors need a bit of paint but you can see how close it is to being done.  You need to be a bit careful how you hold the model when fitting the wheels but I managed not to break anything.

• Like 4

Here we are, I think this has been one of my fastest builds.

y4mQ22mIUXgREIhDTPhI0KVgqLJwDxOGEKStVoyL

I was worried that the rising sun decal would not conform to the body, but brushing on MicroSol and leaving it overnight seems to have done the trick.  The wing mirrors were added and the heat shield was primed and painted.

y4mOnEgT1Ye3nZDp_YOPsqe1VQIRwzSYPma4tLP-

Engine cover in place.

y4mTRPf20TA1ZqqBPHhvYCpRPCmS8WRb4uhHrF5b

I thought I'd take some pictures of the Honda next to my Tamiya Toyota Celsior.  It shows how delicate these Grand Prix cars were.  A proper photo shoot will take place in the next couple of days.

• Like 11

WOW!!!  :yikes:  I've pretty much missed this whole build, and what an awesome build it was too! :thumbsup:

I love your choice of model and what a lovely model it is...or was! 

Well by the looks of it you really enjoyed this build, it was great to see another early racing car in the GB.

• Thanks 1

• johnlambert changed the title to Hasegawa Honda RA272E 1:24 ++FINISHED++

This one is done and a bunch of photos added to the gallery.

y4mvUdcR06yZ4rohrts7I16L_T1Txl47VT5rvQ9G

Here's a photo that's not in the gallery.  I'd say it's turned out pretty well.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...