Amazon Labels Directly on Kits

Danny

Hi all!

I’ve found myself returning an Airfix kit to Amazon twice now because they both arrived with the label simply stuck across the front of the box. No packaging to protect the contents or thought to how the label will leave a sticky residue behind when trying to remove it. 

I'm just curious if anyone else has had this?

My understanding if that Amazon will have done this to reduce their packaging costs and impact on the environment but it does feel like the people packing it have just assumed the kit’s ‘just a toy’? To be fair to Amazon they did have accepted the return but I’m not so confident that they listened to my concern. 

@Danny we had this a few years ago with Scamazon: we’d ordered some Lego for one of our great nieces for her birthday and had clearly identified the item in question as a gift.  It arrived, as did your Airfix kits, unprotected from weather, the vagaries and vicissitudes of handlers or anything else and with a sockng great, near irremovable  label stuck firmly across the front of the box.  They did send a replacement package but they should never have needed to if they’d done their job properly in the first place.  Why do the job properly first time when you can bodge it and have to repeat the process, thereby using more resources than necessary?

& yet I ordered a ladies watch battery from Amazon the other day. about 3/16 of an inch diameter in a blister pack about the size of a normal stamp. Cost all of £1.89..........came in an A4 carboard envelope. 

• Sad 1

Yup i ordered a 1/24 109e mainly because i love the old style Airfix artwork. It came with just a label on it. We complained and said we didnt really want to return it , we were just annoyed at the lack of packaging. They told us to keep it and they refunded us too!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

& yet I ordered a ladies watch battery from Amazon the other day. about 3/16 of an inch diameter in a blister pack about the size of a normal stamp. Cost all of £1.89..........came in an A4 carboard envelope. 

Be thankful they did that.

I sent a vintage Matchbox car in a small parcel size (about a fag packet size) and the postal service lost it. The buyer wasn't impressed as it was collectible (to him at least) and none of the parties involved ended up happy - seller, buyer, or the PO.

I received a vinyl record last week with just a sticker. This is new - usually they arrive in a custom carboard envelope, and sometimes that is inside a padded envelope. Fortunately the disc was undamaged and the sticker was on a clear plastic wrapper. But vinyl is fragile and can be easily bent. I've registered my dissatisfaction (not that it will do much good!)

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

They started doing this a few years ago on bulkier items, but always gave you an option at checkout to have the item boxed before it was sent, think the option was 'ship in Amazon packaging' or words to that effect.

I noticed a few months ago that option had been removed. 

Usually with Amazon at the point of ordering it states that the product will be visible when shipping (meaning that they just stick labels on the product box) and that if you don’t want this you should select Amazon packaging.

This warning is not very prominent and is easy to miss as is the option to add Amazon packaging.

I can’t say whether this is the case for these particular model kits but I have seen it a number of times for other products that I have ordered.

The strange thing is that I can accept that the packaging of many products is robust enough for shipping but Airfix kit boxes are certainly not.

My most common damage in the past with Amazon orders was with books.  They would ship Osprey paperbacks in Jiffy bags or a heavy hardback unsecured in a box that was too large so that it moves around inside.  On every occasion when they have done this I have had to return the books because one or more corners have been damaged.  Thankfully, they seem to have got the message now and the packaging is now much more suitable.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1