Hello from the midwest USA.

Blooze

Hello everyone. I’ve been lurking a bit and decided to register finally. I made a handful of models, mostly cars, when I was a kid 40+ years ago. Mostly glue covered messes with terrible paint jobs 😁 Anyway, fast forward to 52 and I was researching airbrushes for doing some fades on a couple guitar kits I have in the works and these really nice models keep popping up and I think, well that looks fun and I need one more hobby. My main hobbies have been electronics (hi-fi amps and such) and guitar effects pedals for the last 10 years or so. 

Being a beginner, literally, I need to acquire everything and will need advice on that and what models would be appropriate to start with (interested in planes and tanks). 

• Like 2

Hello Blooze … :post1: the city of Chicago, I mostly build military aircraft models myself. In a former life I played around with Bass guitars as a hobby but its a bit beyond my financial means currently. My two favorite bass guitars were an 1970’s issue Gibson Flying “V” in Steel grey, and my Roger water’s cloned Black Strat bass. Sadly both were sold many years ago now. Ive been building models since 1979 though so feel free to ask me questions.

I recommend some basic kits like Airfix or Hobby boss easy assembly kits as starters. If you're serious about an Airbrush my best recommendation is the Iwata Neo or a Badger basic two stage. Look for a basic compressor with a reservoir built in it will stay quiet for longer periods if time. Now I think its best to go right for the two stage because you get much better control over your paint flow. I admit it will be a bit of a steep learning curve with airbrushing and building models. You will get frustrated but if you persevere and stick to it, the skills will come faster than you think and you will be happy in the end. 

Dennis

Hey Blooze, I’ve just responded to your post about paint choices and saw that you were a fellow hifi fan too - albeit I don’t get the chance to spend that sort of money any more, but the love is certainly still there !!!

Always fancied a Macintosh pre power combo - don’t suppose being from the motherland you have a spare one you don’t want 😂 

I also wanted to point you in the direction of a couple of podcasts if that is your thing? I have picked up a great deal from Mike and Dave at the Plastic Mojo Podcast as well as the boys from the Model Geeks, both are entertaining and informative and offer lots of advice on tools, paints and building in general :) 

:welcome: aboard Blooze.  beginner or old hand, we're all still learning, so never be afraid of asking questions :) Most of the inmates are harmless, with the occasional one that bites, but we take away their teeth when they sign up, so you'll just get a bit damp and gummy ^_^

• Haha 1