zebra

Time to start a third build. This is the Eastern Express 1/144 Convair 880, which I'll build in JAL colours from the early 1960s. Quite a nice looking kit in the box, it's short run but looks like good quality. I've built a couple of EE's more recent kits - Viscount and Dash 8 - and they've gone together pretty nicely, so hoping for more of the same from this one.

Sprues:

Eastern Express Convair 880

This kit comes with a pretty complete looking cockpit, which is pretty unusual for the scale, but I'll be using window decals so didn't bother with the cockpit and got straight on with assembling the fuselage. This meant assembling and fitting the nose undercarriage as it has to go in before the fuselage is closed up - so I'm going to have to be very, very careful not to break it! Fuselage went together ok, didn't have any problems blending in the clear part, and I've got the lower wing half attached.

Convair 880 WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 10

Welcome along again Julian with another fine and interesting choice.

It's nice to see some of these early civil jets in the build, we really don't get to see too many of them in other GB's.

It does look to be a nicely detailed model as well.

Well good luck with this one as well, will be another nice addition to the gallery.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome along again Julian with another fine and interesting choice.

It's nice to see some of these early civil jets in the build, we really don't get to see too many of them in other GB's.

It does look to be a nicely detailed model as well.

Well good luck with this one as well, will be another nice addition to the gallery.

Thanks Rich. I find the airliners of this era far more interesting than the modern ones - they were much more diverse. This is a nice kit, it's nicely detailed and it's going together nicely, I've used very little filler so far.

Speaking of which, I've got a more or less complete airframe now, and started on the engines. I plan to install the pylons and make sure they'll fit the engines ok, then paint it with the engines detached. So not far off painting it now.

Convair 880 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Well done Julian, she looks amazing in that scheme.

Sorry for taking so long to comment, takes forever to catch up on these builds sometime.

I do how we get to see her in the galley?

• Thanks 1

Great to see you made it in time, and she is gorgeous!!!  :wub:

Lovely clean lines and a scheme of the era with real style.

It was great to have you along as usual with a build you must be proud of, I do hope you enjoyed the build.

• Thanks 1