Revell Corvette C7.R

It was slim pickings for car models that interested me at last year's IPMS in Telford, but I did come away with two. Unlike the other, this one was an unplanned spur of the moment choice. It is a cool looking a race car to me. But the almost-sponsorless yellow looks quite boring even though I know it's kinda of a Corvette thing. Anyhow it has little meaning or appeal to me so I'll be doing something else, with a bit of help from other decals that like the M1 Procar, I ordered from Indycals.

spacer.png

The car has an engine like most Revell kits. In other areas it's very simple.

spacer.png

An unusual idea for the brakes.

spacer.png

The doors are moulded separate. The door cards are those moulded into the body, no others.

spacer.png

There will be a lot of test fitting. A) It's Revell. B ) I've seen a few others build this kit whilst researching, and not have a lot of joy with the fitment. Grinding huge chunks off the dash I saw in one example.   So far, so fit.

spacer.png

Painted and assembled chassis. Aside from two metals axles, this is what you get for the entire chassis and suspension. To be fair, once the car is assembled, you can see none of it.

spacer.png

Assembled and painted engine. Quite nice.

spacer.png

Rolling chassis.

spacer.png

Test fit interior. Again.

spacer.png

The glass comes with pre-painted masks. I'm kind of sorry it does as the deep one on the windscreen means you can't see much of the interior.  Endurance racers must love driving through a slim letterbox view.

spacer.png

Primed for action.

spacer.png

I've been looking for an excuse to use more of the can of Porsche Peridot Green I've got stored away. It's already done 3 cars (including the Porsche Cayman it belongs to).  I saw these drills in B&Q and thought a green-gun metal-silver and black livery would look good, with Ryobi as a sponsor.

The front 3/5 of the car will be green.

spacer.png

I have since sprayed the interior black and the lights silver, so more test fitting.

spacer.png

• Like 11

4 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Endurance racers must love driving through a slim letterbox view.

Even slimmer with the full face helmets they wear! :)

I do like that green, another very imaginative scheme!

Keith

• Like 1

Nice paint colour.  It looks like it will make an impressive model.

Intrigued that you got a Revell USA version at Telford.  I saw a US YouTube comparing the USA vs Revell Germany versions. His view was the german one has coloured sprues better moulded (or better plastic) from the same moulds, better decals and instructions.  US scored back with marginally nicer tyres!

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 11:16, galaxyg said:

The glass comes with pre-painted masks. I'm kind of sorry it does as the deep one on the windscreen means you can't see much of the interior.  Endurance racers must love driving through a slim letterbox view.

spacer.png

Your comment on this made me have a look back at my photos from Le Mans 2015, and most of the pics I have of GT cars have a sunscreen about this far down the windscreen. The pics I have of the Corvettes are pretty rubbish unfortunately (for some reason I only tried to get pics from the tribunes on the pit straight so trying to get a panning shot), but from those photos I got I would say that if anything that sunscreen doesn't come far enough down the windscreen 😲 I guess at Le Mans you have a long run south along the Mulsanne Straight in the evening so you want to keep the sun out of your eyes as much as possible.

52091878426_04a5f391e4_b.jpg

(I should say in my defence I have MUCH better pics of just about every other car apart from the Corvettes for some reason :doh:)

• Like 2

The body still has yet to have the black masked and painted, but the rest is all done. To the green are now added Silver, Light Gun metal and Dark Gun Metal.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Dashboard also completed.

spacer.png

And this thing has been assembled. Not sure what it is but given it's a long race and the driver might get peckish, I'm going to go for either something to keep his soup warm, or a portable barbecue. :)

spacer.png

• Like 5

Filler on the mirrors' sink marks.

spacer.png

This little rear wing is a separate part, so I can easily paint it green like the front of the car.

spacer.png

Yet more masking.

spacer.png

Now with black scuttle panel, front lip and side skirts.

spacer.png

• Like 7

10 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Filler on the mirrors' sink marks.

spacer.png

This little rear wing is a separate part, so I can easily paint it green like the front of the car.

spacer.png

Yet more masking.

spacer.png

Now with black scuttle panel, front lip and side skirts.

spacer.png

It's strange how I find masking therapeutic  !     Lookin good . 

Gary

• Like 1

I did all the decalling last night in one session.  The Ryobi and Pioneer decals are custom made from indycals. The 2 numbers are spares from the 206WRC kit, and their white backgrounds are spares from a JGTC tamiya kit. There's a few of this kit's correct decals and then another mixed set of spares also.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Ready for clear coat. The bonnet is hovering on a piece of blu-tack.

spacer.png

Post clearcoat (which I only polished a little - it's quite shiny and this is a racecar not a showroom vehicle.) Lenses and lights. No glue needed, this part of the kit is practically snap-fit. It's a tight fit and a bit fiddly but nonetheless, no faffing with glue.

spacer.png

Rear lenses handily moulded in red.

spacer.png

With the edges touched up in black with a magic marker, the rear lights are also snap-fit or at least, a tight friction fit. They look quite moody.

spacer.png

A bit more in the engine bay, some kind of rollcage.

spacer.png

The blue and yellow Michelin tyre decals didn't suit my colour scheme so I've used these Tamiya Bridgestone ones. I might see if I can darken the off a bit later, they are very white.  Nice though.

spacer.png

Test fitting another bit of engine, and the glass also.

spacer.png

• Like 8

A random scene from the build. There's more to be done on the interior yet, but yet more test fitting.

spacer.png

And here we have our first mini-hurdle. The engine part shown in the centre, and it's counterpart test-mounted (but not glued - fortunately) on the engine foul with the scuttle panel, making the body not sit correctly on the chassis - to the effect of being both too high and rocking diagonally.  Some grinding is going to have to happen. I suppose it'd not be a proper Revell build without some correction.

spacer.png

• Like 6

This is the bulkhead between cockpit and rear area. In some reference pics I've seen this has electrical boxes and wires visible, and since this is visible through the rear window, it seemed worth adding some more details.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

The big silver W brace is entire invisible once the dashboard is fitted. Another example of this kit having an excess of detail in some places, balanced with none at all elsewhere.

spacer.png

The scaffolding required quite a bit of clamping to hold it together whilst drying.

spacer.png

The white areas highlighted in green are what I had to grind off to make the body sit correctly.

spacer.png

Final engine bay. I added a couple of extra details - the hose at the bottom being one of them.

spacer.png

I drilled two holes in the roof - through the roof and the transparent part, to hold the aerials, which are made from one U shaped piece of wire, led in place with electrical tape on the inside.

spacer.png

Nice big CORVETTE Decal.

spacer.png

The box is holding the rear wing in place whilst it dries. This kit is done now. RFI photos to follow later.

spacer.png

• Like 8

As someone with a weird thing about complicated rollcages , that's an impressive one ! 

I like your simple solution for the aerials too , always a problem right at the end of a build . 

Gary .

• Like 1