Pre-war Do 17E

18 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

This is looking great, watching with interest to see how the decals perform

Β 

The decals are very thin and need a lot of soaking to get them off the backing paper.Β  If you try to force them, they will tear.Β Β  But once on the model, they respond very well to Microsol.

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

The red band is sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1217 RLM 23 Rot.Β Β  The white circle is from the kit decal sheet and is nicely opaque.

Β 

The swastika is in two parts but it is very difficult to line up so I binned them.Β  I used swastikas from an Xtradecal general sheet instead.

Β 

Β 

• Like 9

Looking very good Enzo.

Β 

Interesting markings - I was considering doing the same after coming across it in a book. I believe it is Stab KG51 in about May 1939? I am actually likely to go for one from KG255, part of which was used to found KG51 as part of the usual expansion system the Luftwaffe was using just before the war. Gruppe insignia of an Alpine Rose, a Gentian and an Eidelweiss were inherited by KG51 and the Geschwader Stab had all 3 symbols on their shield as in your model. Interestingly they were very late changing to the 70/71/65 scheme and retained the red flag on the tail as well, both of which in theory changed in January 1939.

Β 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just completed the Clear Prop OV-1 Mohawk, so I'm not scared of anything!Β  :lol:Β 

Did you like it? Β I have one of those too...is there a build thread?

On 6/9/2022 at 10:52 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I knew what I was getting myself into and - to be honest - I'm quite enjoying it.Β  :) Β 

Β 

Masochist! Β I am amazed you were able to fit the nacelles. Β That's where I stopped...

Β 

Bravo on your build. Β It's looks very sharp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Did you like it? Β I have one of those too...is there a build thread?

Erm...Β  not exactly.Β  Β Let's say I like having built it.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job Enzo.

Β 

Interesting comparison between yours and the ones John and I built in terms of the grey - yours is much lighter and more like I imagined it would look, but apparently it did fade badly and by 1939 it would have had plenty of time to do that, unlike the grey my "1936" build which is perhaps a little on the dark side. The old Airfix kit is still a good one it seems and well worth building.

Β 

Pete

• Like 1