Pre-war Do 17E

Well, it just had to happen!  :shrug:

I like to see how things evolve over time and the Dornier Do 17 is perfect for that.  I am currently building a Do 17Z in this GB but I now feel the urge to build an earlier one.  The Do 17E has a different nose, different engines, even a different wing!  While the Z has split flaps, the E has plain flaps.   And of course there is a totally different colour scheme.

spacer.png

This does not look to be as complex a build as the Airfix Do 17Z.  For starters, there is no open bomb bay. But on the other hand the cockpit looks to be equally as nice as the Airfix one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I haven't decided on the markings scheme yet:  either the box art scheme or a Spanish Civil War version.

• Like 10

Good luck. Judging by other threads in the GB covering this kit, you're going to need it. I have the F variant which I originally intended to build in this but due to time constraints I decided an easier kit might be a better choice

• Like 1

Hi Enzo,

all the best for your build. As one can see in @John Masters build, the kit is quite a handful.

I hope you don't mind If I share some information regarding the interior colours of the Do 17E I've come across recently while researching for my own build. The interior colour callouts in the RS kit are unfortunately incorrect as it calls for RLM02 for all interior and wheel wells. In Merrick/Kiroff's 'Luftwaffe camouflage and markings 1933 - 1945' they printed the original paint schedule for the Do 17E from 1936 which clarifies the correct colouring:

• Cockpit till Bulkhead No.7 (which is located right aft of the cockpit glazing: RLM66 Black grey
  • Fuselage aft of Bulkhead No.7, engine cowlings and wheel wells: Silver

See here for the document in question: https://www.modelforum.cz/download/file.php?id=1745559&mode=view

Eager to see you beating the kit into submission.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Good luck. Judging by other threads in the GB covering this kit, you're going to need it.

12 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

all the best for your build. As one can see in @John Masters build, the kit is quite a handful.

I've just completed the Clear Prop OV-1 Mohawk, so I'm not scared of anything:lol: 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

I hope you don't mind If I share some information regarding the interior colours of the Do 17E I've come across recently while researching for my own build.

That's most useful, Markus.  Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just completed the Clear Prop OV-1 Mohawk, so I'm not scared of anything:lol: 

That's a bold statement, Enzo! Nothing at all? Not even Mrs Matrix finding out how much you've really spent on kits?

James

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Is it that bad? Thought Clear Prop kits are quite nice to build.

Not this one.  It's over-engineered with overly intricate parts to the detriment of buildability.  It's not a fun build.  :fraidnot:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 81-er said:

That's a bold statement, Enzo! Nothing at all? Not even Mrs Matrix finding out how much you've really spent on kits?

There is no Mrs Matrix.  Never has been, never will be.    How do you think I manage to build so many models?  :D  

And I have two cans of Old Speckled Hen inside me, so I'm really not scared of anything.   Except clowns.  And children. 

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There is no Mrs Matrix.  Never has been, never will be.    How do you think I manage to build so many models?  :D  

And I have two cans of Old Speckled Hen inside me, so I'm really not scared of anything.   Except clowns.  And children. 

Ah, that does indeed explain it. Apologies for assuming btw.

Clowns have never bothewred me, but as a dad of three I can completely understand why you're afraid of kids 🤣

James

• Haha 4

Okay, let's get cracking.  Hold on tight, rider!

The cockpit area was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-133 RLM66 Dark Grey.  The remainder of the interior is aluminium from a rattle can.  

spacer.png

The instrument panel is provided as a plastic component with a PE overlay.  The seat harnesses are also provided in PE but I elected to use Eduard pre-coloured harnesses instead.  The pilot's seat has an unfortunate mould ejection pillar slap bang in the moddle of the seat bucket which will be next to impossible to remove.  I didn't even try.  I simply replaced it with the spare seat from the Airfix kit.   I have done a bit of painting and drybrushing in the cockpit - even going as far as to fit a redundant panel of switches from an Eduard set.   All this is of course pointless as none of it will be vissible on the finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fuselage closed up.  There are no locating pegs on this kit so I added plastic card tabs to help with location and to provide extra gluing area.

spacer.png

As I mentioned earlier, very little of that cockpit will be visible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Fuselage seems to have gone together alright. Maybe I will try to build mine in the two weeks I'll have free to build in this gb....

Judging by the problems that @John Masters had, I'm pretty sure this kit is trying to lull me into a false sense of security.  :lol: 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

The wing is an easy build - just three components. 

spacer.png

Fitted to the fuselage.

spacer.png

It's not a good fit...  :fraidnot:

spacer.png

But I'm not scared.  I have Milliput!  :lol:  

So I filled it all and sanded down.  Then I masked off the nose area and primed it to see which areas needed more work.

spacer.png

Answer:   everywhere!  :rofl:    

• Like 4

Once I was happy with the wing I fitted the transparencies and masked them off.  This took a lot of effort!!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

The nacelles were then built up.  The exhausts do not protrude beyond the exterior surface as they should so I blanked those areas off with plastic card.  I will use brass tubing to represent the exhaust stubs.

spacer.png

Nacelles and tailplane fitted and filled.  Sanding still to be done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thoughts so far...   Every! Single! Part! needs to be fettled before fitment and then likely filled and sanded afterwards.  However, that is simply a function of the kit concept.  It's a short run kit, not intended to be state of the art.  That's why I'm not feeling any frustration with this one.  I knew what I was getting myself into and - to be honest - I'm quite enjoying it.  :)  

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Once the model was primed, I sprayed it with Lifecolor UA-036 to represent RLM 63.

spacer.png

And then started on the masking.

spacer.png

It's quite a complicated scheme.  The green is Xtracrylix XA1037 while the brown is Lifecolor UA-143.  The undersurfaces are sprayed with Lifecolor UA-503.

spacer.png

• Like 6