International Maritime Signal Flags SPACE (3DL53006) 1:350

Mike

International Maritime Signal Flags SPACE (3DL53006)

1:350 Eduard

boxtop.jpg

The Eduard SPACE sets use new 3D printing techniques that lay down successive layers of different colour resin, initially creating highly realistic almost full complete panels that are supplied on a decal sheet.  They can depict metallic shades, plus glossy, satin and matt colours too, which really ups the detail on everything they print.  They’ve also discovered that the print style is suitable for maritime subjects such as flags, as this is one of several sets that are now available.  The International Maritime Signal Flags system permits close-range line-of-sight communications between vessels either by spelling out words using one flag per letter, hanging a single flag to convey a predetermined message according to the guide book, or by a single flag with the addition of tapered numeric flags to add information to a message such as dates, times, range or bearings.  You can read a little more here on Wikipedia if you want to spell out accurate, odd or vulgar messages on your models.

3dl53006.jpg

As usual with Eduard's SPACE sets, they arrive in a flat resealable package, with a white backing card protecting the contents.  Inside is a sheet of decal paper measuring 7cm x 6.3cm that has been 3D printed with five rows of eleven flags, totalling 60 in all.  Every flag has been printed with a pair of tabs for attachment to a length of rigging individually, or in a string for longer messages.

close-up.jpg

In use, the flags are removed from the backing paper by dipping them in water in the same manner as you would a standard decal.  When they lift away from the paper, it’s best to dry them off so that you can glue them to the rigging with a tiny amount of super glue later.  Unlike standard decals, the printing permits the colour to show identically on both sides of the flag, and they are printed so thinly that they look great once removed from the paper.  The close-up photo above doesn’t really do them justice, as what is actually less than 4mm across has been zoomed in almost 30x on my screen.  To my 1x eyes, they look just like tiny flags.  Finally, please don’t try to read any messages into my choice of flags photographed for the example, they were picked at random.  Honest.

Conclusion

If you are looking to deck your latest 1:350 ship with some colourful flags, this set is just what the Captain ordered – quite literally.  Well-detailed and with tiny little tabs to fix them to the rigging for added realism.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Mike. That SHAPE method is a completely new concept to me and I really like the idea.  I shall order a set, anyone know if they will be imported to UK and who would sell them here?  I've just checked and postage from Eduard is between £12.50 and £17.00

Cheers,
Mike

17 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Thanks for the review Mike. That SHAPE method is a completely new concept to me and I really like the idea.  I shall order a set, anyone know if they will be imported to UK and who would sell them here?  I've just checked and postage from Eduard is between £12.50 and £17.00

Cheers,
Mike

Loads of companies sell them.  They're all over the place :)

12 minutes ago, bootneck said:

But, but, but you stated "available here" so I went there; like the dutiful little minion that I am  :worthy:

:P They are available.  You're just too cheap to pay for the postage :tease:

• Haha 1