Spitfire MK.XII against V-1 Special Hobby 1/48

When this was announced I thought it looked so cool that I had to have it even though it's not my usual scale.

So, my first 1/48 Spitfire and it's Special Hobby. 

Apart from the instructions being a little vague as regards building wheels up, well, non-existent really and the undercarriage doors requiring a little fettling to get to fit it was a great fun build.

Strange that as it's a flying model that there's no undercarriage up instructions though.

The only other issue was the sliding canopy as it just didn't fit at all and required a fair bit of filling and blending to achieve something reasonable.

As I said this was fun and I don't want to sound negative as the overall build was straight forward and fun.

Primed with Tamiya Neutral Grey.

Painted with ColourCoats Interior Grey Green, Medium Sea Grey, Ocean Grey, Dark Green, RAF/FAA Yellow, Sky S Type, RLM 83, RLM 76, Tamiya Flat White, Flat Aluminium

Weathered with Flory Dark Dirt Wash, Tamiya Weathering Pastels and Windsor and Newton Oils.

Finished with Windsor and Newton Satin and Matt varnishes.

WIP Here

I0WDZxE.jpg

bFSlLoY.jpg

lo1mOlM.jpg

fC9XRVc.jpg

aHfZnoP.jpg

PZlBwP8.jpg

WJN6g94.jpg

wvp7nGY.jpg

UimcLD0.jpg

yOgrajo.jpg

My huge thanks to everyone who took the time to look, react or comment on this build your support is appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

They look wonderful Alistair, done yourself proud mate.

Great to see them together too.

Simon.

Thanks so much, Simon

I'm fairly chuffed with the result.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

When this was announced I thought it looked so cool that I had to have it even though it's not my usual scale.

So, my first 1/48 Spitfire and it's Special Hobby. 

Apart from the instructions being a little vague as regards building wheels up, well, non-existent really and the undercarriage doors requiring a little fettling to get to fit it was a great fun build.

Strange that as it's a flying model that there's no undercarriage up instructions though.

The only other issue was the sliding canopy as it just didn't fit at all and required a fair bit of filling and blending to achieve something reasonable.

As I said this was fun and I don't want to sound negative as the overall build was straight forward and fun.

Primed with Tamiya Neutral Grey.

Painted with ColourCoats Interior Grey Green, Medium Sea Grey, Ocean Grey, Dark Green, RAF/FAA Yellow, Sky S Type, RLM 83, RLM 76, Tamiya Flat White, Flat Aluminium

Weathered with Flory Dark Dirt Wash, Tamiya Weathering Pastels and Windsor and Newton Oils.

Finished with Windsor and Newton Satin and Matt varnishes.

WIP Here

I0WDZxE.jpg

bFSlLoY.jpg

lo1mOlM.jpg

fC9XRVc.jpg

aHfZnoP.jpg

PZlBwP8.jpg

WJN6g94.jpg

wvp7nGY.jpg

UimcLD0.jpg

yOgrajo.jpg

My huge thanks to everyone who took the time to look, react or comment on this build your support is appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Alistair, the Spitfire looks awesome  just about to bring down the V1.  Great work fella, does this mean more 1/48 models or even a 32nd scale one :whistle:

Hope so

Chris

Thanks Chris,

And a huge thank you for all your support and encouragement throughout this one.

There may be some other 1/48 kits lying about. A few Spitfires, the Eduard Zero, A Wyvern, a Chippie, A Tiger Moth and some others including a Trumpeter Fairey Firefly which although inaccurate will get built soon OOB.

As for 1/32 I have the Lancaster Nose Art from HKM and the Liberator from Hobby Boss which are for a future time but they will happen.

23 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Nice, well done.

Alain

Many Thanks,

That is extremely kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris,

And a huge thank you for all your support and encouragement throughout this one.

There may be some other 1/48 kits lying about. A few Spitfires, the Eduard Zero, A Wyvern, a Chippie, A Tiger Moth and some others including a Trumpeter Fairey Firefly which although inaccurate will get built soon OOB.

As for 1/32 I have the Lancaster Nose Art from HKM and the Liberator from Hobby Boss which are for a future time but they will happen.

No worries fella,  Brilliant, looking forward to those, the Chippie and Tiggie you will really enjoy,  the Wyvern, if the Trumpeter kit, builds up nicely too. 

Chris

• Like 1

Alistair,

This is a lovely finish to what has been a most engaging WIP. I'm now severely tempted by this kit, although I shall leave it for a decent length of time so you don't think I'm kit-stalking you!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

This is a lovely finish to what has been a most engaging WIP. I'm now severely tempted by this kit, although I shall leave it for a decent length of time so you don't think I'm kit-stalking you!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Your support and encouragement has been invaluable.

Kit Stalk away I've learned a lot from your stuff I will need to learn a lot more. :D

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That all came together wonderfully Ali, definitely one to 👍

Steve.

Thanks so much Steve that is very kind of you.

Again, the support and encouragement I've had from you has kept me going.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

That's superb Alistair, really great work on them both!

Looks like an excellent pair of models, a state of the art, 21st century recreation of the old Frog boxing of the same two aircraft I built back in the dark ages! Not only are the kits light years better, so are your builds of them! :)

Top modelling!

Keith 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's superb Alistair, really great work on them both!

Looks like an excellent pair of models, a state of the art, 21st century recreation of the old Frog boxing of the same two aircraft I built back in the dark ages! Not only are the kits light years better, so are your builds of them! :)

Top modelling!

Keith 

Thanks Keith that is very kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair