Tamiya Honda RC166 first bike kit.

I thought I'd share some pictures here of the Tamiya Honda RC166 kit that I built for the Turning Japanese group build.  This is the first ever motorbike kit that I've tackled and I'm glad it turned out so well.  I wouldn't recommend it to a novice modeller, but I would recommend it to someone who has built a few kits, because it should give you the confidence to tackle another bike kit in the future.

y4maLwP3CYUcyT06xC4tHLshODVn9gXOgmoKEL-j

y4mx5wLndwrCDe555vQChZgQBmFeskwVfMXR4FvP

y4mmNi5oFjkNU5y_Dltg7CgVH5IdxlYbSjnQ5lgv

y4myqsKQOjDM9O8vhTGX4unLzDBa6hGfxf8Xxfym

As I was building this kit, particularly the wheels, I said "never again" but now it's done I'd love to have another go at one of these.  It would be nice to add some of the detail parts and also to replace a few other parts with finer scratched details.  With that sort of build I'd probably display the bile with the fairing off as the engine builds up into a little jewel that deserves to not be hidden.  Although it's my first bike build, I definitely don't think it'll be my last.

You can see the build thread here:

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I'd probably go with fairings off too. That engine looks too good to hide.

Me too.  I glad you included a link to the WIP as I really enjoyed it.  Fantastic end result - Andy 

• Thanks 1

Very, very nice! I really wish Tamiya would have continued with more motorcycle kits with this level of detail AND detail-up sets for them. Of course the upgrade sets for this bike do add significantly to the cost but THIS kit is worth it. Too bad Tamiya really dropped the ball on the profile of the tires-too pointy. Otherwise a stunning model.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see that exquisite piece of exotica here. Great job for your first bike build. 👍

I'm still building up my confidence before tackling mine. 

The sound in the flesh of one of these is just heaven. 

If you haven't seen it, here's a recently-retired racer giving an original bike some welly at the TT - before it goes pop. 

• Thanks 1

That is a real beauty John, your finish looks absolutely spot on for a race bike of that era - really excellent modelling all round!

I'd also love to see you build one with the engine on display that would be brilliant!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Fantastic John!!!

This little Honda looks awsone. 

I think I should consider to build a bike too.

It's good to see that you decided to take the original rims.  Changing to thinner metal spokes makes me frightening 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

This bike has been on my wish-list for a very long time!

But ...  the stash is already too big! I need to finish the ones I have already started first!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alan R said:

This bike has been on my wish-list for a very long time!

But ...  the stash is already too big! I need to finish the ones I have already started first!

Cheers,

Alan.

What's this "stash is too big"? There's always room for one more kit ;) 

Get your finger out and finish a kit so you can buy this one, you won't regret it (not a guarantee).

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

What's this "stash is too big"? There's always room for one more kit ;) 

Get your finger out and finish a kit so you can buy this one, you won't regret it (not a guarantee).

That's the spirit John...you tell em mate 😉👍

• Haha 3

John is right, you can never have too many kits in the stash! In fact I just ordered a new cabinet for the office today, for my so called “advanced warehouse capacity”. It was getting to suspicious to have all of the kits at home 😁 

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

John is right, you can never have too many kits in the stash! In fact I just ordered a new cabinet for the office today, for my so called “advanced warehouse capacity”. It was getting to suspicious to have all of the kits at home 😁 

Damn right,  my daily biz to live with lean warehousing and keep the company producing...for the Hobby I don't follow this idea 🤫 bcs it supposed to be fun 

Marco F 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...