1/35 Panzergruppe Afrika Command - Rommel's Kfz. 21, and Sd.Kfz. 251 and an Sd.Kfz. 232

Hi everyone,

This is diorama #3 related to Nachrichten Fern Aufklarung Kompanie 621 (NFAK 621) as you can see from the references below of the Sd.Kfz 251 likely attached to HQ of 90. leichte Afrika Division which inspired the diorama. The Kfz. 21 is a further conversion of a Plus Model Horch conversion to represent one of the vehicles used by Rommel and Bayerlein which is now owned in Germany. The Sd.kfz. 232 shown in the rear of the first reference photo is likely from Kampfgruppe Kiehl which was attached to Rommel. Other two armoured vehicles are modified AFV Club and the figures are modified and unmodified Dragon and ICM (Dragon's Bayerlein figure is an exact copy of the pose for him in Rommel's Kfz. 21 and the diorama). North African dioramas can obviously be challenging in terms of the scene going beyond just a palm tree and sand, so I decided to try some things to recreate a dried-up riverbed in Libya using crackle and still water products from AK. The tree is supposed to be an acacia. Anyway, hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed creating all the components.

References

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here it is for comment...

Thanks for looking,

Jeremy

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Detailed Sd.Kfz. 251 interior before adding the top half... one figure later swapped out for the standing officer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by nimrod484
Update
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

A very busy scene excellently crafted. Tells it's story convincingly.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, yeah, you are right about it being busy and I hadnt thought about that aspect before...

WOW!!! That really is amazingly impressive!! The models and scenery are incredibly well done and the figures really bring it to like. You have captured the moment in time beautifully! Very well done. :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Holy hell this is good! I love the cracked dry ground effects. The vehicles are superbly weathered/dusty. But most of all I love your figure painting style, it’s very distinctive, obviously in a good way. I love to know how you modify them (the map added to the hands on the guy the ground besides the horch and half track.

On 23/05/2022 at 22:03, Muchmirth said:

Holy hell this is good! I love the cracked dry ground effects. The vehicles are superbly weathered/dusty. But most of all I love your figure painting style, it’s very distinctive, obviously in a good way. I love to know how you modify them (the map added to the hands on the guy the ground besides the horch and half track.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated as always. At the moment, my basic modifications range from switching legs, hands, arms, arms, boots and heads to sculpting new lower legs with putty for Afrika Korps figure conversions. The arms for holding the map came from another figure and I repositioned or replaced the hands if I remember correctly. So not a big mod. Mr. Black Publications and AK Interactive have great reference books on modifying and sculpting figures which I recommend for ideas and inspiration. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely fantastic modelling. Love everything. Really well done.

You must have so much patience, if i manage one vehicle and a couple of figures without losing interest i think i have done well.

George

14 hours ago, nimrod484 said:

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated as always. At the moment, my basic modifications range from switching legs, hands, arms, arms, boots and heads to sculpting new lower legs with putty for Afrika Korps figure conversions. The arms for holding the map came from another figure and I repositioned or replaced the hands if I remember correctly. So not a big mod. Mr. Black Publications and AK Interactive have great reference books on modifying and sculpting figures which I recommend for ideas and inspiration. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the ref material suggestion…. I want to give this a go but might be a while yet! Still have basics to get right… plus I’m a little chicken about it!! Haha

21 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Absolutely fantastic modelling. Love everything. Really well done.

You must have so much patience, if i manage one vehicle and a couple of figures without losing interest i think i have done well.

George

Thanks, George! Yes, patience and perseverance... especially with the fiddly stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2022 at 04:58, Bertie Psmith said:

Very well done. Everything is fantastic but the little detail that caught my eye tonight (I shall return) was the cracked groung with the greasy layer of mud underneath. It's so real for that king of climate! 

Thank you. The cracked ground is a good product with interesting effects.

On 11/06/2022 at 21:26, Ozzy said:

Very nice 

Thanks Ozzy

On 13/06/2022 at 22:33, Homer said:

Fantastic piece of work looks splendid thankyou for sharing it with us .Well done. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent work.

Representation of thr dry land is great, vehicles seem sandy and the figures do have a "tired" look I think, guess because of yhe heat I guess.

Welcome to Africa!

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

• 2 months later...