BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ457, HMS Hermes Air Group, "Operation Corporate" + COMPLETED+

Evening all.  I would like to add the second 1/48 Kinetic FRS.1 to this GB, this time XZ457.

_DtYFoJC8lTJjgoclunnC-ojkXkiong27MH8ckcq

The only extras I will be adding (thus far) are the spare seatbelts from the Kits World 3D printed "Tornado" MB Mk10 seatbelt set..

r-fwzY8u7IL1EDtFGFkiL7-HDfLQCfeT5Ps1B8P6

And some reference material....

Bim1U51IkY5wBhU_IDx_tdiNCWxnUouh9vpvZrKp

I can see the fun and games the @DaveJL is having with this build - sometimes it is better to go second...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 6

On 5/20/2022 at 11:24 PM, Icarus said:

I can see the fun and games the @DaveJL is having with this build - sometimes it is better to go second...

I'm unwisely considering building the Airfix 1/72 FRS.1, so tagging along on other FRS.1 builds in the hope that I might increase my (0%) Sea Harrier knowledge.

Your reference material looks good, is it available anywhere?

I did find this previous thread useful.

Best wishes for the build!

I have been abroad on business these two weeks (lockdown seems like a weird delusion now) so I will only get a chance to start this tomorrow.  this will need to be a pretty efficient build - OOB apart from the seatbelts.

That reference material is from my own stash of magazine articles.  Incredibly helpful for some of the colour scheme details - let me know if you wanted me to scan and and share.

Icarus

Cockpit done.  

6OVzAS1IY86CBvAmoEvjk6BtVKXMlNnJuAtaxKhN

yyjOXB2QZHslmo6MjjoMWSAY5mbqPE1YHILyUQRJ

The flash causes a bit a speckling in the photos, but looks fine in daylight.

I used Airscale instrument decals for the I/P, and Kits World 3D decals for the seat belts.  Otherwise, OOB.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

Looks stunning Icarus! Well done.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, Icarus said:

Incredibly helpful for some of the colour scheme details - let me know if you wanted me to scan and and share.

Many thanks for offering to share, but I know so little about Sea Harriers I wouldn't know what to ask for! I may be back when work on my own SHAR begins.

Cheers,

Thank you Johnson.  Let me know if you needed anything.

In the meantime, starting to get a head of steam on this build.  Fuselage halves together now.

0fFJ0VGrEzMKSCVle7swVnM4siNKHrsw8rkWy_Hv

E3tp1Ty5mEGZnn7lCrQptuRvRK609TFRCjJonc6h

A few of those seams will need sanding/micromesh, then panel line re-scribing, but nothing too challenging.

Nice kit, and great engraved detail.  Just needs care and some dry fitting to check tolerances.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

Steady progress with this - just about to add the flaps and tailplanes, but wanted to add a quick layer of Halfords primer to check the seams so far.  All looks fine following sanding and polishing with micromesh...

iTE0fbQ3MrjWePXowk9n06_Kdg2bBScUAcDJJ4Pb

The upper nose cone seam looks a bit prominent, but remember there is a nose probe to add there.

Again, lovely engraved detail in the plastic - well done Kinetic.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So, having read the recent magazine articles from Jay Blakemore about colour modulation, black-basing and marbling, I thought I would give it a try on this SHAR.  As these were painted fresh on the boat down to the Falklands, I need to be careful not to overdo it, but if all else fails I can revert to by usual method of an overall coating, then post-shading.

Anyway, initial black base and marbling last night:

TmcXgHqYEFQbQptzH132Mi9di5I-z3mS4lJ8jbLP

_dubW48I0F8RXAlhjs9WS_-oW3QaXXVSvxbO6pfw

And this morning, after the initial layer of EDSG:

S1wiOvFVyjHCMKU1_aibg2YZ5OU-_Y5BC2Pm3sqj

5UBr2KNR98TUs8TKyubKVrKCYNJSSW0OyosMIE98

The Xtracolor glossiness means the flash rather overemphasises the contrasts, but even so I think this is a bit stark.  I will add another thin layer of EDSG then see where we are.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

A few more layers, and I'm happy with this.  Looks far less dynamic in natural light - the flash does rather accentuate the contrasts.

4R9AP4wNFfpqG4mOMRfcVlEilUajYDVBth7fEO63

8hApQUPrZMIE9cr9iwmYvi2XDLUlLj9JcjPrh6dK

thanks for looking,

Icarus 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have been away on business for the last couple of weeks, but back in the UK this weekend, so cracking on with this.  Decals on, and starting to add details before final weathering.

iVo8h6vXRmeypq5T2mx4CBfNuKgi0gz-x68Cl6cZ

beiTn118dA1nYZcO5ylW0wLOK2yrehXag2eRMrJF

Decals are of the highest quality - well done Kinetic.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

G'day Icarus,

I hope that I am wrong but it looks like you have used the wrong wing.

From the pics it seems you have used the (later) FA.2 main wing found on the "B" sprue instead of the earlier wing (Part I2). The FRS.1 wing has two dog-tooth notches in the leading edge as well as two corresponding wing fences which are absent on the latter FA.2 wing?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

Thank you Pappy.  You are quite correct - I thought there was something a bit awry there.

Well, I'm afraid there is nothing I can do about it now.  It is being made as a gift for my Dad, who won't know the difference!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

3 hours ago, Icarus said:

Thank you Pappy.  You are quite correct - I thought there was something a bit awry there.

Well, I'm afraid there is nothing I can do about it now.  It is being made as a gift for my Dad, who won't know the difference!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Too bad, but nobody else noticed it either. I think you are right, your dad won't notice it unless you tell him. You could cut out the notch and file back to shape but you would also be missing an additional vortex generator per wing and the wing fences but at this sage being so close to the end I would advise against it as the difference will likely go unnoticed as you say.

It is  funny, both yourself and DaveJL made the same error, same kit, same Group Build. I was following along with Dave's build so was able to alert him before he attached his wing assembly to the fuselage but sadly I was too late for your build. I don't think the instructions are to blame as they clearly identify the correct part both of you seemed to have adequate reference material on hand.

I think the issue is that upper wing parts for both variants (FRS.1 and FA.2) are included in the box which a first glace appear to be the same. It would be easy to select the wrong part if you did not look at the sprue number. I typically go through the box when multiple options are offered, or if there are parts 'Not for use" and I will remove these parts and set them aside. I try and keep them on their sprue if possible and place then in a separate bag (or re-use the resealable bags from the kit) and keep this bag within the kit box just in case I need something that I overleooked but otherwise, these are separate form the other sprues to prevent the chance of using the wrong part.

It also cuts down the part count and makes me think I have made greater progress than I actually have!

cheers,

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Icarus changed the title to BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ457, HMS Hermes Air Group, "Operation Corporate" + COMPLETED+