Valentine - unknown track guard furniture

AMC1965

Hi there, I hope all are ok. Quick question, can anyone identify the curved fixings on the rear starboard track guard of the Valentine.  Photos either show it covered with a tarp or without anything attached at all. I just can't work out what it is for, they are like the horns of a bull with a strap between them. I did think towrope bracket but the length of rope you would cater for would be negligible. Unfortunately I can't seem to attach a photo on here for some reason. Many thanks in advance.

Are you trying to link an image from the internet or hard drive?  If it's the latter, that can't be done and you have to first upload the image to a photo hosting site, and then link it from there.  Plenty free providers out there to chose from.

A quick image google does not give any detail you have described.  In the mean time, can you further describe the Valentine mark, year, location, unit?

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack, many thanks for that. I have now eventually come across a photo of a line of Valentine and they have a hank of rope wrapped round the horns so I am assuming that is the purpose of them. Seems rather over engineered for a rope holder. See 11th photo down of Polish tanks via the link below.

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/desert-sweetheart

Cheers, Andy

Based on your description I think its the two support brackets which held a cable reel for a field telephone line, when required.

y4m9d7S7G58tlrMaYDGOpSK4hMG5J-YzPWo7gKUo

Here's a similar looking system on my Archer, though it's front starboard in this case.

Hi Das Abteilung, yes, thats the photo I tried to add the link to. I will use this reference for the kit I am completing and wrap a rope around the part. Many thanks.

Have seen similar detail on the Light Tank VI, but midway left side fender.   Usually some sort of rope or chain coiled around the 'horns', a museum example looks to have a cable.  Have also seen a  round jack placed there, and even a spare wheel:

9601b41c-5ea4-4302-9eaf-b0b2594ec768.jpg

regards,

Jack

The Universal Carrier has the same fittings on the glacis.  I couldn't find a stowage diagram for the Valentine or MkVI showing that area.  But on a Universal Carrier stowage diagram it is described as a "Rope, Towing, Steel, Light".  The one on the Valentine looks to be larger diameter cable, so maybe "medium" or "heavy".

Many thanks Jack and Das Abteiling, I think I will go with the rope wrapped round though just for interest I may see if one of the road wheels actually fit into the space. I am using PE so it may be a better representation than the plastic part provided by the kit. Many thanks again.