R25 class Räumboot - building finally

12 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

plan you will find in the collection at the Dreadnought Project:

Thanks Francis, that drawing is of one of the French minesweepers taken over and completed by the Kriegsmarine, RA1 - 4 and RA 6 - 8.  Much more substantial steel vessels, but interesting and it's a great drawing.

Cheers

Steve

OK, got to stop drawing before my eyes go funny, but I'm really enjoying it...:S

Here is where I have got to, pretty happy with the lines and the outline of the wheelhouse and engine room roof, props sorts and prop-shaft alignment OK, three rudders looking OK...  Lots of assumptions and compromises, but it's certainly close and I could probably build the whole thing from this sketch, but I will continue to prepare a two sheet set, GA and lines plus details...

draft lines

Key sketch (its a bit larger so don't try direct size comparison, only shape) for comparison

early2

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Steve, I would advise you to join the German Historisches Marine Archiv Forum. This page has lots of pics of R-212 (scroll down):

https://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/sonstiges/berichte/raub_raeumboot.php

Another interesting thread with great photos of the 11th R-Boat Flotilla (but you'll have to join the forum to see them) :

https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,33756.msg382398.html#msg382398

I particularly like the pics of over land transport on Culemeyer trailers through France. I wonder where you found this pic you posted on the previous page :

Gf5c4Ir.jpg

It probably shows a boat being transported to the Black Sea. These pics from my own collection show R-Boote travelling through France to the Med :

cjtU5St.jpg

Hk4G8dp.jpg

BxRl9q6.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Arjan,

I found that forum and joined, a lot of the pictures I have were sourced from viewing the 7 pages of Räumboote mentions in threads there....

I have that first picture but those last three picture of land transportation are new to me so many thanks for that.  What a great 1:72nd scale model diorama that would make :hmmm:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Arjan,

Many thanks, I've downloaded those and this one has a detail I'd not seen anywhere else, see my ellipse below:

5  räumboot - Copy

A major bugbear of mine is people building ship models without the holes needed for cooling water.  None of the drawings I have show this detail, but there it is clear as day, excellent 👍 

All these little things no one notices or cares about are what this hobby is about to me....

Cheers

Steve

40 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Here are some pics from a Dutch photo archive

Fantastic, thanks again Arjan.  Some great shots and interesting details there!  Check out what looks like a smoke machine on the bow of a few of those boats, I'd not seen that before.  Plus that first image has a profusion of danbuoy like objects I mentioned before in this thread

As I'm working my way round the drawing, I've realised that I don't have any drawings of Kriegsmarine depth charges in any of my own reference material.  Three are mounted on each side of the foredeck ahead of the bridge on the 110t class.  Do you happen to have any information on these and the racks used by any chance?  :please:

I know the size so can probably make the rest up but nothing beats an actual drawing

Cheers

Steve

32 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Lewis guns on top of the bridge

Well, they certainly have that appearance, perhaps the German's had an equivalent pillar-mounted LMG, something more to investigate

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't help you Steve, I only have top view drawings of the stern rack used on S-Boote. Nor have I found clear photos of the racks used on the fore deck of R-Boote. This is the only pic I have managed to find, don't know if this type of rack was used on R-Boote :

WfiJM4V.png

Arjan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

This is the only pic I have managed to find

Thanks, that's better than everything else I have. 

R41 from War Thunder (I hate to trust such a source but other details on the model do align with sources I can trust...) has these chutes in close-up, as ever, we make do with what we can find and compare,

dc shute

Should be enough at this scale

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arjan said:

Interesting, I can make finer but the mechanism helps. Thx

Wasn't able to get in the workshop today to finish the Oerlikon mount, but I did get some drawing work in.

This is my attempt at the Kriegsmarine DC and chute assembly as fitted to the R-boote, as example of the detail I'm going to on the whole drawing set.  It is based on various drawings and pictures so like most of this vessel, it contains a degree of conjecture but I'm confident of the size

My aim for the drawing set is for it to be in sufficient detail that it needs no further references to model.. The beauty of drawing everything in this way is that my etching artwork will be really fast as I will already have all the heavy lifting done and in CAD.  Similarly, the 3D printing design work can be simply scaled off, saving loads of time

The drawings will take some time to complete, but if there is interest, I easily produce copies in 1:72nd scale in addition to the right scale (1:48th of course   )

dc chute drawing

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

In the past I've often considered kit bashing the 1/72 Airfix E-Boote into a 110T class R (the dimensions of both in 1/72 are quite close! 6mm in length and 3mm in beam). So this thread is very interesting and I'm absolutely gob-smacked about what you can do with brass.

Tom

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

kit bashing the 1/72 Airfix E-Boote into a 110T class R

That sounds like a feasible plan Tom, the lines clearly come from the same design office, having drawn the E-boote myself I can see the family resemblance.  I'm puzzled there is no R-boote models available (well above 1/700 scale which is just a waterline block with some other blocks on it).

Brass is easy, you should see what a mess I make in plastic...

Cheers

Steve

On 5/30/2022 at 7:28 AM, Bonhoff said:

52091766314_00a2663bed_b.jpg

Is it my imagination, or are those Lewis guns on top of the bridge?

IanJ

On 5/30/2022 at 8:01 AM, Steve D said:

Well, they certainly have that appearance, perhaps the German's had an equivalent pillar-mounted LMG, something more to investigate

Cheers

Steve

Though looking at this wiki page the Netherlands had an indigenous version and it also say’s the German army did use them. So they possibly did use a variant or captured weapons. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_gun

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I copy of German Warships 1815-1945 Vol 2 by Erich Gröner arrived yesterday,  This contains small (I mean tiny) line drawings of every German vessel type including the R25 class.  This clarified that in the R25 class, there were 7 sub-types :suicide:

It turns out, the one I'm drawing is the 1940 subtype, R151-158, with three rudders and various other very minor details.  Using that tiny drawing, I was able to tidy up the positioning of various details (deck hatches, bow gun etc) and I'm now very happy with the position of all major elements.  So much lined up perfectly that this cannot be random, I'm sure I'm homing in on a pretty accurate drawing.

These vessels were designed to carry 10 mines when not sweeping.  Taking the drawing of the EMC mine I used for the S-boot, I was able to draw the mine rails and with a 3 degree inward taper towards the bow, they fit perfectly with the sweep winch, stern roller assembly and machinery access hatches.  That again gives me confidence that the extent of the steel rear deck I've assumed is also good.  Most of the deck is planked, but the stern section behind the 2cm gun is steel

This exercise is like doing a jigsaw with lots of missing pieces, trying to make stuff align with photographs and logical equipment positioning.  I feel I'm on the home straight now

Below is a sneak peek of where my GA has got to, still very much work in progress, but hopefully it provides some idea of the challenge. 

sneek

There will be 4 sheets in total, GA, Lines, Frame cutting sheet, and equipment detail.  I'd underestimated how much work this actually is, I salute the late John Lambert, he was a star 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 24/05/2022 at 09:11, Steve D said:

+++

BTW those pointy hat things on the engine room roof are (I believe) small explosive buoys that were laid to protect minefields from sweeping, as shown on this drawing, far left labelled Abb 27

+++

Sorry for being late.

I agree, there is a good chance we see a "Sprengboje D".

Introduction https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprengboje

it is there to destroy enemy Räumgeschirr

Räumgeschirr? https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Räumgeschirr

More on the "D" http://michaelhiske.de/Wehrmacht/Marine/DMRVNr_13/Kapitel_C/DEU/C01.htm

C and D http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/OrdnancePamphlets/OP1673A/Chapter10/Chapter10_02.htm

before use https://www.flickr.com/photos/dirk_bruin_vlieland/2075920383

Sprengboje - Anti minesweep device

In case you find one on the beach: Don't mess with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1