1/35 Chieftain Mk.10 - Meng or Takom?

Peter Browne

• Peter Browne changed the title to 1/35 Chieftain Mk.10 - Meng or Takom?

Well, for one thing the Meng decals aren't particularly good, looks like poor registration and possibly poor carrier film judging by comments on some builds.  There also appear to be no AM decals.  That's possibly enough to go with Takom...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Julien said:

The Meng kit looks the better in the box, I did get a replacement barrel from Accurate Amour tho. 

Thanks Julien.  I also have the Accurate Armour barrel on order.  Have you built the kit? 

I decided to go with the Takom kit.  Reasons are that the Meng decals are fuzzy, there are some fitment issues I have read elsewhere. Overly thick exhaust elbows (can be replaced with AM).  Some mentions of over engineering and poorly designed sprue gates leading to more clean-up.  Most kits have issues of some sort though.

A plus for Meng is the detail may be a bit better from some accounts, but I haven't seen anything which shows that comparison.  Also the working tracks, but once in place there wouldn't be much difference, unless you wanted your tank on uneven ground...

Also, most builds I have seen on the Takom kit seem to go together easily.  Like this one:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/09/ptii-clayton-builds-takoms-135.html

and

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/284239/

Besides I got a discount!  $10 and free shipping (AU$71 with GST), but neither kit is cheap...

Peter

I'd always wanted an accurate Chieftain (i.e. the kit builds into what the box says) in BB Camo, so when Takom's Mk10 popped up on HLJ, I grabbed it. Still in progress, however I'm enjoying it. Easy build. I have seen there are some corrections available out there...only thing I ended up getting was an AA barrel because the puppy decided to chew the barrel end & munted the MRS. And Takom couldn't help me with that sprue.

• Thanks 1

@2DeeBee0  Thanks. I ended up buying the Takom. I may get the Accurate Armour Barrel and probably the MasterClub tracks (mtl35079) which when anodised would look correct.  The kits tracks do look good though.  I will be attempting the BB camo as well.

Peter 

I did a build of the Takom kit a little while back. I wouldn't bother with the AA barrel, the Takom one isn't too bad and an AA one I had for another build wasn't great and never got used.

The kit tracks are pretty good as well. I have linked my WIP which outlines a couple of shortcomings of the kit and may be of help to you.  

and below is the finished result.

It's a great kit as I recall.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flat Chat said:

BTW, were the replacement engine grilles these?

Yes they were Peter, not perfect but a big improvement on the kit.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A word to the wise, all the Berlin Mk10s were painted identically and the Takom instructions are wrong. The build you linked has the same photos I used a guide for mine. For instance, the engine decks were brown, not NATO green.

Bill

• Thanks 1