How are Print Scale decals?

Procopius

I vaguely recall, back in the distant past of 2014 or so, that Print Scale decals had a reputation for poor quality. Is my mind deceiving me? Has anyone used them with or without success?

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Has anyone used them with or without success?

I was reasonably happy with the decals I used for an F-51D, 'Noherohere', on sheet 72-261.

My hesitation to wholeheartedly endorse them stems from how I found that each decal tended to stay right where it contacted the kit (they are extremely thin - perhaps a function of this?). Moving them into the right place was challenging at times, requiring lots of water or MicroSet to persuade them to relocate. I also eschewed the national insignia markings due to the off-register red bars and creamy white colour... Nevertheless, despite my very manual handling of them, they didn't tear and settled down well with MicroSol.

I'd call my use of them successful! Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

I used some that I'd had for a few years on a Matchbox Hellcat I built last year in the F6F GB. The national markings were the wrong style so I used Microscale ones for them but otherwise I was happy with the way the Printscale ones performed, they looked good with the Microscale ones.

DSCF3255

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to check things first before buying them.  I remember reading on a review a number of years ago that the font used for the serials on a Vampire were incorrect.  A look at the drawing showed that to be the case.  I have also noticed that up until about 6 - 12 months before the war started that they always used the wrong style numbers and letters for modern U.S. Navy subjects.  Instead of being the correct 60° letters and numbers, they were the AF style 45° numbers and letters.  Do your research first if possible before buying, and that goes with just about any manufacturer.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

My hesitation to wholeheartedly endorse them stems from how I found that each decal tended to stay right where it contacted the kit (they are extremely thin - perhaps a function of this?). Moving them into the right place was challenging at times, requiring lots of water or MicroSet to persuade them to relocate. I also eschewed the national insignia markings due to the off-register red bars and creamy white colour... Nevertheless, despite my very manual handling of them, they didn't tear and settled down well with MicroSol.

I had the same issue, to the point where I folded one decal when trying to move it and couldn't unfold it. If you know of the issue it can be overcome and they are thin and settle into panel lines well so results are very good. I have bought more sheets of theirs since that experience but not yet used them - I expect good results when I do.

I have 2 of their sheets, one was well out of scale for several items. They grab instantly, and will curl up without hesitation. Dampen them and let them soak on the backing sheet out of the water, use decal solution on the model to help them slide, and use a wet flat brush to apply them. Try to position them exactly first time.

Use any spares on the sheet for practice first.

If you have another option for decals, go to them before Print Scale.

• Like 1

Only used them once, a few years ago now.  They are thin but reasonably tough.  Confirm that they are difficult to move once on the model.  If you can, check the transfers for accuracy before you buy: at least some are based on the artwork of a very prolific but not especially accurate artist, so may be inaccurate in size, colour, style, stroke thickness,...   That's not to condemn them all but let the buyer beware.  And they may have improved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used them, found them maybe a bit thin at times and a bit quick off the paper but no two makes of decals are the same and you learn to adapt. I found that accurate placement on the model (as near as possible to the intended replacement and if you have to adjust it then use plenty of water or decalset. I keep a piece of kitchen paper handy for sucking/wicking off excess water once in place but only by merely touching the water and not pressing on the decal, because you could inadvertently move it again. Suck/wick off excess water and using a damp cotton bud gently roll it from the centre of the decal to squeeze out any water/liquid from under it. Keep two or three cotton buds handy. Wicking away the excess water stops the decal moving about , you can use a cotton bud to wick off the water if you prefer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mixed, Sir.

Used them for a Morane 406, and in consequence gave theirs a pass and used XtraDecal for a peacetime Blenheim build. The big ID number under the Morane's wings was insanely tricky, and I figured the Blenheim's underwing serials would be similar trouble.

The problem was that the numbers were 'naked', there was no surrounding film. Given how thin they are, and how prone they are to folding over, the experience was not pleasant. If there had not been some duplication in the various subjects' underwing numbers on the sheet, I wouldn't have been able to complete the run.

For national markings, unit emblems, that sort of thing, they're good decals, but big alpha-numerics, and little serial runs and such minutia, not so much.

• Thanks 1

I'd have to say I'm not impressed: their F-86 sheets have buzz numbers in a 'sort of OK' font, which isn't quite right. I've spotted other font issues with their sheets and also US national insignia with incorrect proportions.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I used some that I'd had for a few years on a Matchbox Hellcat I built last year in the F6F GB. The national markings were the wrong style so I used Microscale ones for them but otherwise I was happy with the way the Printscale ones performed, they looked good with the Microscale ones.

DSCF3255

Steve.

Nice model.

Alain

• Thanks 1

3 sheets I can remember;

1. for 1/72 Finnish Hurricanes - both roundels and letters too large for 1/72 and too small for 1/48

2. for 1/72 Finnish Fiat G.50s - same, roundels & letters too big for 1/72, roundels & letters too small for 1/48

3. for 1/72 Curtiss P.36, - US roundels too small and numbers/letters too big, Not useable, I ended up using decals from my spares

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I used a set of Printscale decals for my 72nd scale Bf109F and generally they worked fine but do need a bit of fiddling with water and decal solution to move them into the correct position and then use the tip of a paper towel to gently soak up the excess fluid from around the edges. Once they had taken I then used a damp piece of tissue paper/kitchen towel to gently press them down into the panel lines and recesses followed by more decal solution.

My only criticism was the stencils which appeared to be slightly over scale compared with the others I had but this at least made them easier to see.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

This 1/48 Liberator was a Print-Scale* set. It was pretty old when I used it but it worked perfectly.

I think they're very similar to SuperScale/Microscale in quality and respond very well to MicroSet and Sol.

*EDIT: Punchline... please disregard😟 this was Scale-Master, not Print-Scale :doh: :doh: sorry for being stupid/memory-challenged 🫤

Edited by Alan P
Alan is thick
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Alan P said:

This 1/48 Liberator was a Print-Scale set. It was pretty old when I used it but it worked perfectly.

I think they're very similar to SuperScale/Microscale in quality and respond very well to MicroSet and Sol.

The age of the sheet "may" have had something to do with it.  I haven't used any of the Printscale sheets that I have yet, but will eventually.  SuperScale/Microscale decals are another one that has had accuracy problems.

Later,

Dave