Vangelis , the electronic composer dead.

Spookytooth

Darn it. Loved his stuff. Albedo 0.39 was my first introduction to his music back in about '75 though I remember Aphrodite's Child as well.

But he leaves us his genius and a wonderful catalogue.

• Like 6

Sad news indeed.

Blade Runner is my all-time favourite film and the Blade Runner soundtrack has been in my collection ever since it came out. I have it on my iPod and it gets played a lot, in fact it last played two nights ago. Apart from Chariots of Fire I must plead ignorance of his other works but I hope to put this right.

Dave

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

To The Unknown Man triggers a Pavlovian response in me and I think of RAF Buccaneers.

I still want a modern Martel fit for the new 1:72 kit to do an Open Gate 78 bird.

RIP, Vangelis.

Yesss! I totally get that response with Buccaneers! I think there's a clip on YouTube maybe from the BBC documentary about Buccaneer squadrons.

The first time I sat in a Lightning cockpit at a Wattisham Air Show 1980 it might have been, someone across the hangar was playing Pulstar. Being 10 years old & that experience has never left me. I'm certain it was from hearing that, that I had to find out what it was. 

• Like 2

Sad news. I only ever had one album of his, Heaven and Hell. I went to one of his concerts at the Albert Hall around 1974 ish. I recall seeing one fan walking down the street heading for the venue wearing a home made cape with the legend on the back "Vangelis Bites Yer Legs" I never cottoned on to the meaning of this since. I still have the ticket from that memorable night.

I would imagine that "Vangelis Bites Yer Legs" is a play on the original phrase "Norman Bites Yer Legs" referring to Norman Hunter which first appeared on a Leeds United fan's banner at the 1968 League Cup Final between Leeds and Arsenal.

BTW, I purchased the soundtrack to 1492: Conquest of Paradise two days ago as a result of this thread and it is being played constantly.

Dave

• Like 4

Very sad, I remember an IPMS Nationals, about 1984 where they had films including the Buccaneer one and one about rallying that used 'Spiral'. The music from 'Bladerunner' just matches the film so well.

• Like 5