Bedford OLDB lorry

After finishing the 2 Matchbox cars and the Castrol Celica I thought I'd have a go at something different, but still on wheels ;) 

Bit off topic for me TBH, but I'm going to have a bash in the Big and British GB with this one

Never built a lorry before, so there may be questions along the way, looks like once the chassis is painted I can build it up using it as a base

Kit seems to be going together quite well with good locations and minimal flash up to yet, so any tips or hints from you truck guys out there welcomed

Ian :) 

20200818_143511_resized 20220519_114016

• Like 9

I must admit that although I wouldn't normally say that trucks are my thing, those Emhar Bedford lorry kits do look tempting.  I look forward to your progress.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I must admit that although I wouldn't normally say that trucks are my thing, those Emhar Bedford lorry kits do look tempting.  

TBH John

That's exactly what I thought. I saw the British Rail scheme on the box as well and seeing as I volunteer at a steam railway, it was a given that I was going to get one :) 

Although saying that, I prefer the overall red BRS option in the box and I have paint for that one :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 4

I have that kit and I think it is a beautiful model, is that the correct word for something inanimate?  I think I bought the wrong kit though, as I now want to convert it to the breakdown lorry version.  Unfortunately, I don't have any plans of the crane and so I shall follow your build Ian and complete mine as is from the box. 

Watching with interest.

Mike

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

I thought of buying an Emhar Bedford for a long time...now they get rare. 

Will follow your WIP with interest 

Marco F 

There not rare, you can pick them up from most hobby shops or online sites. Even hobbycraft stock all 4 variants. I'm going to get more at some point 😀

• Thanks 1

Nice to see one of these Emhar Bedfords being built. I'll be following closely. I don't suppose it would take much to get an Austin K4 out of this kit either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Even hobbycraft stock all 4 variants.

Your Hobbyvraft is better than ours then Ian, never seen anything that interesting there! 

Had this one and the tanker version when they were first released but realised I'd never build them so sold them on - so will enjoy watching your build instead. :)

Keith

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Your Hobbyvraft is better than ours then Ian, never seen anything that interesting there!

It's not too bad tbh 

I got the Bedford from mjr but I have seen all 4 in there the last time I popped in. Always have a good selection of cars as well, that's where I got the Castrol celica from for 20 quid 

I only usually get paints and glue etc if I get desperate as you can usually get stuff cheaper elsewhere. But if we're down there I always pop in and have a mooch around, you never know 😀

• Like 1

Good work so far and interesting project to follow 👍

I see a lot on here using these (Tamiya?) model/paint stands, are they good or rather would it be handy to get one for building /painting a 1/24 car kit?

Cheers,

Johnny b 

• Thanks 1

Can't speak for the Tamiya stand, but I made my own out of an MDF offcut, some old electrical wire, blutak and gaffer tape. Drill holes through the MDF, run the electrical wire through, tape the wire in place underneath and put blutak blobs on the end of the wire. The bluetak ends help stop the body slipping, and you can bend the wires as needed to suit the body you're spraying. Obviously not as good as the Tamiya stand, but near enough free :)

42004426625_d19e4217be_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Good work so far and interesting project to follow 👍

I see a lot on here using these (Tamiya?) model/paint stands, are they good or rather would it be handy to get one 

Thanks Johnny, I'm enjoying building  it. 

I was bought the stand as a present and I do find it really useful for painting larger things like car bodies etc and they are useful for decalling them as well. They're not too expensive either, but as Spiny has said, other options are available. I used to blu tac bodies to a small aersol can lid still on the can, but the stand is more adaptable 

Ian 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Spiny @Redstaff Thank you gents 🙏 

I have the fortune of visiting my old model shop in Dubai in a weeks time, they used to have one like the one you got Ian. If not overly expensive, I’ll get myself one of those. If not, or maybe in any case, I’ll try a DIY version as per Spiny’s instructions (I like your spray booth too btw:) 

Thanks again both and now back to the Bedford … 

• Like 2

That's really coming together nicely all of a sudden.

For some reason I have it in my head that these aren't particularly big kits, but your picture of it there on the stand reminds me that by car standards they're still a good size.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's really coming together nicely all of a sudden.

For some reason I have it in my head that these aren't particularly big kits, but your picture of it there on the stand reminds me that by car standards they're still a good size.

Cheers Spiny

As lorries go they aren't big compared to modern day monsters, but are still a fair bit bigger than a car. I'd think they are just a bit bigger than a lwb transit pick up truck size. I'll post a pic along guide a car next time for a bit of a comparison 

Ian 😀

• Like 2

Suddenly I get the impression you should have done it in Toyota Team colours 😄

Nice job on the paint - you seem to have achieved the painting holy grail here of getting it painted quickly while also painting to a high standard. Well done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Suddenly I get the impression you should have done it in Toyota Team colours 😄

Nice job on the paint - you seem to have achieved the painting holy grail here of getting it painted quickly while also painting to a high standard. Well done.

Castrol colours on it mmm 😁 now that's a thought 🤣

As for the paint, thanks, but most of the credit has to go to Tamiyas lacquer range of paints, they dry quickly and hard to this kind of finish without any clear coat. Seems to click with my airbrushing technique as well, so more finding a good product than skill 😀

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

so more finding a good product than skill

Sorry disagree - I've got those same paints and don't ever get that nice a finish out of the airbrush, therefore you must have the skill to do it! :nodding:

That paintjob looks great!

Keith

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry disagree - I've got those same paints and don't ever get that nice a finish out of the airbrush, therefore you must have the skill to do it! :nodding:

That paintjob looks great!

Keith

Thanks, but I'm no expert with an airbrush, it's just that this paint and self levelling thinners just suits my style I suppose, I guess I got lucky with the right combination of pressure and thinners and carried on with it. I've had less success with other paints, trust me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

Nice choice of subject...and smooth progress mate :)

Ron

Cheers Ron

It's a brilliant kit that goes together so well, really enjoying it 😀

Ian