Razor Saw Profil Set (H1020 & Spare Blades)

Mike

Razor Saw Profil Set (H1020 & Spare Blades)

CMK by Special Hobby

boxtop.jpg

Modellers have a penchant for acquiring tools to add to their arsenal, and this modeller picked up a CMK razor saw many, many years back, which was the first iteration with an olde worlde wooden handle and double-sided razor blade-style blades.  Time marches on, and the tool became more streamlined with a longer plastic handle and a more modern-looking machined shaft with twin screws and profiled mounting plate that has countersunk holes for the screws.

The Profil set (H1020) arrives in a resealable clear foil package, with a paper backing that includes information about their other modelling products such as sanding sticks, scale resin bolts and their own brand of pigments.  Inside the package is the handle, which has two threaded holes on the shaft, and is tapered toward the tip.  Also in the pack is the mounting plate, which also has two corresponding holes and the aforementioned countersinking, plus the two screws that have a straight slot, which is my only minor niggle.  I prefer cross-headed PH or PZ screws, as my flat-bladed screwdriver is a little prone to slipping out of the slot.  That’s my take on it however, and you may have either a better screwdriver (mine is a little small), or more skill with it.

tool1.jpg

There are two blades included in the pack, one rectangular with diagonal slots in the centre, the other is an equilateral triangle, and both of them have two different pitched saw-tooth edges for using in different circumstances.  If you’re familiar with the older blades, they are equivalent to fine and medium that should be useful in most circumstances.

multi-shift1.jpg

triangular1.jpg

In use they’re excellent, and less brittle than the older version, which should see me going through fewer of them going forward, and that’s always a good thing.  Speaking of which, you’re bound to break a blade eventually, and they’re available separately as replacements for a couple of quid (GBPs) each.  The rectangular blade is called ‘Multi-Shift’ because the blade can be fitted at any point along the groove's length, allowing a deeper cut of almost 15mm with either side, depending on which end of the slot you choose.  If you’ve got a reliable way of measuring it so that you can ensure the blade is exactly square in the holder, you can also use the position of the blade to stop you from cutting too deeply if the need arises.  The triangular blade has two circular holes down its centreline, and although you are only shown with it pointy-end forward, you can also place it wide end first if it helps accomplish difficult tasks.

Conclusion

An excellent tool that should come in handy if you’re having to remove resin pour stubs, sections of kits such as flying surfaces, and even to remove the occasional broad sprue gate on delicate edges, which I did only yesterday, as by happy coincidence I happened to have a model in hand that required it.  There are very few modellers out there that won’t get some use out of this handy tool.

Very highly recommended.

Razor Saw Profil Set (H1020)

bin.jpg

Multi-Shift Blade x 1 (H1019)

multi-shift2.jpg

bin.jpg

Triangle Blade x 1 (H1018)

triangular2.jpg

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 4