Hasegawa 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Koh Toryu *Finished*

I've completed four builds for this Group Build and have definitely fulfilled my contractual obligations, so I thought I'd risk something a bit more complex: the Hasegawa 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Koh Toryu.

First to unburden myself with a couple of confessions. First, I have this kit because I really wanted to build the Isuzu TX fuel bowser that is rarer than hen's teeth and getting it in this dual-kit set was the only way I was able to do it. Don't judge. Second... I have, unfortunately, what they refer to as 'form' with regards to the Ki-45. It's a lovely looking aircraft and I really wanted to build one, but so far I have failed with both the 1/72 Hasegawa version and the Zoukei Mura 1/32 kit. So this could either be third time lucky or otherwise I should just take a hint.

Anyway here's the box:

DSCN0302.jpg

... and here's what's in it, apart from the aforementioned fuel truck:

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

I don't know if you can see it from this photo, but the carrier film for the kit's decals has taken on a brownish-yellow tinge. It's most apparent here between the thin red stripes and in fact looks worse in real life than it does here:

DSCN0313.jpg

So I shelled out on a couple of extras:

DSCN0311.jpg

The Rising Decals transfers look really nice:

DSCN0316.jpg

It only includes markings for one Koh variant, but it's an interesting scheme for a very early model from the Dokuritsu Hiko 84th Chutai who carried out combat trials with the Ki-45 in China in May-June 1942:

DSCN0317.jpg

I'll have to approximate that mottle as best as I can; I haven't been able to find any photo's online of the actual unit's aircraft.

I've made a start and swallowed the first frog:

DSCN0332.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Wait, are you building an entire airplane just so you can build some highly-flammable truck?

Pree-cisely :D 

Or to be exact, "are you going to attempt building an entire airplane just so you can build some highly-flammable truck with a clear conscience?" :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

I like the Ki-45 myself Stew, and built the 1/72 one Revell Japan released back in the 1970's. It was the version with the optional upwards oblique firing 20mm cannon and/or ventral  cannon 37mm cannon which I guess makes it a KAIc Hei or perhaps a KAId Tei.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

8 hours ago, Roberto said:

Beautiful aircraft, I'm following!

Thanks Roberto, hopefully I can make a reasonable-looking model out of it :D 

I got the parts for the forward cockpit floor area de-sprued and cleaned up:

DSCN0335.jpg

There are quite a few, plus more for the rear cockpit and the sidewalls. I plan to get as much assembly done as possible prior to painting the interior so I can do it all in one fell swoop, but some parts will have to be left unglued for ease of later detail painting and/or applying instrument-dial transfers (of which there are also quite a few).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

I did all the pre-painting assembly work that I could, and it was actually rather a lot:

DSCN0345.jpg

Some cockpit parts such as the pilot and gunner's seats, pilot's side consoles and joystick were left off for later detail painting, but a lot of the interior has been assembled so I won't have the hassle of sticking painted parts to painted parts. The engine parts fit into the cowlings via the back, so the cowlings can be assembled and their interiors sprayed. The undercarriage housings are only clicked in place on the wings for spraying and will be properly attached later. 

Incidentally the instructions advise that you should remove the moulded-on wingtip and tail-tip lights if you wish to use the supplied clear parts (and of course you probably will wish to use them as they will look better than a painted light) - remove them before you join the wing-halves and you will have a much easier job of it:

DSCN0349.jpg

For the interior Hasegawa recommend a mix of two Mr.Color paints to represent the #7 Ohryoku nana go shoku (sort of an olive/khaki drab colour) which was the officially prescribed* colour for Army aircraft interiors from mid-1943, so it may well be correct for the markings provided for the kit, but the aircraft that I will be modelling was operational in mid-1942 so would pre-date the introduction of this colour. From February 1936 until mid-1943 the official** colour for interiors was #3 Hairanshoku  (Ash-Indigo colour). It can be seen on a surviving Ki-46 artifact on the Aviation of Japan blog here. Elsewhere on his blog Nick has mentioned RAL7016 Anthracitgrau as a good match for this colour which is handy for me as while Colourcoats does not have #3 Hairanshoku in the range it does have RAL7016 in the German armour range :) Here are the  two colours:

DSCN0351.jpg

The RAL7016 looks pretty black, but compared to the blue-black cowling colour it is lighter and bluer:

DSCN0353.jpg

For the exterior colours, I'll be using #1 Hairyokushoku (Ash-green) and #21 Midori Iro (Leaf green) for the mottle:

DSCN0355.jpg

Early Ki-45's were delivered in overall #1, later they were factory-painted in the 'reticulated' green over grey scheme and even overall #7 (both the OD and Dark Green variants) and also apparently overall dark brown in some cases. I'm not sure what the reason for these variations was, but it is possible to see pictures of Ki-45's where some are painted one way and some another in the same line-up of aircraft. The aircraft I will be representing would have been delivered in overall grey and camouflaged at unit level with the green (or possibly brown as noted in the Rising Decals instructions) mottling.

TL;DR - I've got paint and I'm about ready to use it :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* There is evidence of variations in production aircraft to the 'official' painting specifications both before and after the requirement to use #7 for Army aircraft interiors

** Disclaimer as above :D 

• Like 6

Thanks Pat :) 

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Out of curiosity is that the same refuelling truck that Science Treasury made years ago in 1/72  but in 1/48 ?

No, the Isuzu bowser is a (compararively) new-tooling, I think the 1/72 kit of that and the starter truck date back to the 70's (ah, 1974 according to Scalemates) and the 1/48 dates from 2008. There's also a standard truck version in 1/48 but no starter truck (and no standard truck in 1/72 as far as I am aware).

I got the fuselage internals sprayed:

DSCN0357.jpg

I also sprayed the wheelbays and cowling interiors while I was there, but I'll deal with those as I get to them. Next will be detail-painting and applying instrument decals in the cockpit... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

It would be great if this one was available in 1/48 as well

It would, but I think all the Hasegawa 1/48 ground vehicles were released around 2008 and as far as I know there's been nothing since... it's hard to tell with Hasegawa but after such a long gap I'm inclined to think that it's probably no longer one of their priorities :) 

I'm reasonably well along with the interior detail painting, but I sent off for a set of Airscale's Japanese instrument transfers rather than try to use the kit-supplied versions - especially as the kit instructions advise that you remove all the lovely moulded details on the panels and apply the rather disappointing transfers to the flattened slab of plastic. I do like the Airscale transfers a lot, I've used them in 1/32 but never in 1/48 but they are Guaranteed To Be Lovely*

So while I was waiting for the transfer set to arrive, I found work for idle hands - the engines. The engine cylinders were sprayed with Alclad Steel and the annular(?) radiators with Alclad Engine Manifold:

DSCN0358.jpg

The push-rods were painted in black with silver tips, and the radiators dry-brushed with Citadel Copper and the silver mounting clamps(?) painted:

DSCN0363.jpg

The reduction gear covers were painted a neutral grey and given a Nuln Oil wash:

DSCN0367.jpg

The poly-caps were fitted and the engine parts assembled:

DSCN0368.jpg

,,, and the engines fitted into the cowlings:

DSCN0374.jpg

At this point it might be questionable if all that work was really worth it (spoiler alert: no it wasn't) but it kept me occupied for a little while, and as 'all that work' was really only a couple of hour's work I'm still glad I did it :D 

Finally, I assembled the props, these have since been sprayed with the N0 'Tea Colour':

DSCN0376.jpg

I'm not 100% sure the props and spinners should be brown for early- to mid-1942 but the Rising Decals illustration shows it so and I don't have any contradictory evidence unless you count a vague feeling as evidence, so I went with the instructions.

That's where I'm up to anyway, hopefully I'll get some more done after work :) 

Cheers,

Stew

* They do not come with an actual printed guarantee to be lovely, but they are :D 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm not100% sure the props and spinners should be brown for early- to mid-1942 but the Rising Decals illustration shows it so and I don't have any contradictory evidence unless you count a vague feeling as evidence, so I went with the instructions.

Good question Stew!

The series of articles I have mentioned that were in Scale Aircraft Modelling International 20 years ago say that the JNAF did not generally switch to tea colour props until 1944, but the JAAF started using it on the rear of the prop blades quite early, replacing the black "anti glare" finish, and that they started painting the front faces in it as well during 1942 so it may well be right. The Ki-84 of course was an exception to that as the props were apparently a dark greenish grey for whatever reason.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pete, it's good to know that the brown props are viable :) 

The Airscale instrument dial transfers arrived on Tuesday and they are beautiful :wub:  I applied them over the moulded detail on the instrument panel and with a drop of Ultimate Decal Setting Solution they just plastered themselves onto it. I used the Zoukei Mura Concept Notes book of the Ki-45 as a reference and added the instrument transfers accordingly though I confess I deviated from Airscale's list of what the decals actually represented - or whether they were IJA or IJN instruments - and used those that most resembled the pictures in the ZM book. With most of the detail painting now done I'm almost ready to install the interior parts:

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg

Apart from the instrument transfers and a couple of sets of Eduard IJA etched seatbelts this is what you get in the box. The ejector-pin marks you can see are plentiful, but will be covered by shelves or side consoles, or completely hidden in some other way. There were 5 or 6 small 'positive' ejector-pin marks on the sidewall inserts for the gunner's position and I did take the time to remove those.

I don't think I'll get a lot done today, it's my 'long' day of the working week, but hopefully tomorrow, if not the weekend, I'll make some progress :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Thank you gents :cheers:

So, farewell lovely interior details, I shall not see you again. Hasegawa do get some negative mentions for the interiors of some of their 1/72 kits, some of which are, in fairness, a bit basic. I've been very impressed with the detail in this kit and if this is the standard for their 1/48 kits, I can see the attraction:

DSCN0388.jpg

Even better (at the risk of jinxing mysefl) test-fitting indicates that it all fits inside the fuselage halves :D 

Before joining the two halves, I drilled out the hole for the upper-fuselage anti-collision warning light. That's not me showboating, the instructions note that you should do it at this stage if you want to use the clear part provided for this; you could probably get almost as good an effect by painting the moulded circle silver and dabbing a blob of clear red on it, but you know, since Hasegawa made the effort I felt I ought to as well:

DSCN0390.jpg

I backed the hole with some self-adhesive aluminium tape, which should provide a nice shiny backing for the light as well as preventing the clear part dropping into the fuselage cavity once it is installed :D 

DSCN0391.jpg

... and that's where we are at the moment. Hopefully I'll get the fuselage halves together today, if not, the weekend beckons seductively... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Welcome along again Stew!! :thumbsup:

Haha, you wouldn't be the first to buy a model just for the extra that can inside........ I just bought one yesterday for the spare canopy!

A ZM 1/32nd Toryu!!!!!!  :yikes: 😍  I am sooo jealous, have been trying to justify buying one of those for ages...just keep getting distracted with other models...one day!

Gee it's a nice looking model, and I see you've made super nice progress with her as well, that IP looks amazing!

Good luck with this build, looking forward to see how she builds up. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents :cheers: 

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

A ZM 1/32nd Toryu

Indeed Rich, but I failed at it, and it currently sits, around 95% complete, on top of it's box, half-primed and going nowhere, mutely reproaching me every time I go into the modelling room, so in more than one way it could be argued that I would have been better off not buying it in the first place :D 

Anyway let's hope I'm not just reinforcing that mistake :D As I hoped I did get the fuselage halves together, a little manipulation and persuasion was required but with a series of little clicks, it all fell in place:  

DSCN0394.jpg

I had a little seamwork to do along the rear spine, mostly directly aft of the gunner's position, and the rear underside but easily enough dealt with with a little Mr,Surfacer and a quick work-over with the Infini 1000, then 2500 sanding sponge-stick things, with a final polish with the 4000-grit polisher stick. I hope that will be the last I see of the seams but we'll see when the paint goes on. I did remember to fit the gunner's parachute shelf with the spare ammo drum for the 20mm and the radio set underneath before I closed the fuselage, but I forgot to photograph it, you can just about see it in situ here:

DSCN0396a.jpg

Also I used the kit's transfers for the props; it would have been easy enough to paint the props yellow and mask off the tip-stripes before applying the brown, but cutting out six identical 1mm x 2mm rectangles for the prop-balance(?) markings near the hub just seemed too much like hard work, and with a couple of applications of Ultimate Decal Setting stuff and a coat of Xtracolor satin varnish they turned out adequately:

DSCN0398.jpg

In between all that I've been getting the undercarriage bits together so should make some progress today.

First however I must gird my loins and suck in my stomach for a trip with the dog to The Tinsmith on the Old Hawkhill for a massive Full Scottish Breakfast (for me, the dog only gets to watch and wait for whatever morsels my magnanimity allows). There are a lot of nice places to eat in Dundee but The Tinsmith is the only dog-friendly one I know of that also does an enormous fry-up with all the trimmings so it has become one of our Saturday traditions to head off there when they open... agh, I've just realised that's nearly six hours away and I'm starving already.

So, anyway, back later if I haven't drowned in my own drool by then :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Hi Stew,

I have often wondered about those little stripes you see on some kits of Japanese planes but none of my references mention them. Prop balance markings would make sense I guess.

Pete

On 5/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, PeterB said:

Prop balance markings would make sense I guess.

I'm reasonably sure that's what I read somewhere, but I have a rather unreliable memory for that sort of thing, hence the bracketed question mark in my post :D 

I got some small and not so small jobs done over the weekend; first the supercharger intakes:

DSCN0401.jpg

and the exhaust pipes:

DSCN0403.jpg

The landing lights got a stamped-out disc of Aluminium foil and a blob of Micro Kristal Kleer to make sure they didn't go anywhere:

DSCN0409.jpg

This was more successful than it appears in the photo, but was marred by the realisation that I only need one of the landing lights for this variant of the Ki-45, and the realisation that I could have got almost as shiny an effect by spraying Alclad Aluminium straight onto the bare plastic, as evidenced when I did this on the landing gear:

DSCN0405.jpg

Very shiny, actually too shiny for what would have been painted aluminium rather than bare metal, but interesting. I'll leave it as it is, because I'm lazy and I don't care enough to take any remedial action even though it would be comparatively straightforward to give the undercarriage a matt varnish coat to take the shine off it.

The engine nacelles were fitted to the wings, and the landing gear bay blocked off with some packing sponge (Eduard, I believe, from one of their resin sets) with a bit of Blu-tack to plug the outlet for whatever that outlet is for:

DSCN0411.jpg

... and finally the nose section was fitted, this did not fit perfectly and required a bit of Citadel Green Stuff applied to fill some little gaps:

DSCN0413.jpg

So while there's still a fair bit to be done, a lot of the fiddly sub-assemblies are complete or in progress and in between working on those I can get on with the bigger jobs, I think fitting the tailplanes is next :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Nice progress Stew. Love those internals, as usual! :) 

Scottish breakfast? Do you get those little potato pancake things? Yum.

• Thanks 1