R.I.P Tony AJ aviation (Aviation Hobby shop)

kev67

Sad news, that Tony who owned the AJ Aviation passed away, some might remember the shop as the Aviation Hobby shop in West Drayton, I used to frequent the shop when I was a youngster over 40 years ago, remembering the stacks of models piled high, I believe the shop will close for good in 2 months time 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

That’s sad, I only found the shop a couple of years pre-pandemic when it had moved into the tall building by the canal - and then back to its earlier location on the road.  They always were friendly and had an excellent selection of interesting kits.

Best wishes to the family.

So sad to hear this. I’ve known Tony and Jan for what must be the thick end of 50 years, and was in TAHS pretty much every week until I moved to the Northeast 3 years ago

RIP Tony, you were a cantankerous old sod, but I’ll miss you

Mark

Sad news. I first visited the Aviation Hobby Shop over 40 years ago. Not only did they sell kits but were also publishers of lots of mags and books aimed at the "spotter" community (which included me back then).

• Like 2

Oh, that's sad news, my condolences.

I was never at the shop(s), but did order a fair few kits from them and also often bought stuff at the Hendon model shows (RAF museum). Prime Hasegawa dealer back in the day, they had pretty much the whole line.

Jeffrey

I have very fond memories of driving Luton van’s up to the Mildenhall Air Fetes and Greenham Commons and all sorts of shows for years when I did the air show circuit for Tony. Happy, happy days

SD

I used to enjoy my visits to West Drayton, a well stocked shop and often a good chat with Tony Eastwood. His love was airliners, especially if they had propellors. If as Kev says the shop will close in a couple of months then we loose one of the best model shops I have known.

I first met Tony and Jan at IPMS nationals way back in the 80's when the AHS were a sponsor along with Midland Counties books. They were a lovely couple who always had some interesting Hasegawa with them (pre internet), Tony was a true believer and a gent,

RIP tony

Very sad news.  Long ago, when mail order was an expensive luxury for inpecunious schoolkids and students, TAHS got nearly all my mail order purchases because they offered free postage.  And gave you IPMS discount at the Nats with never a quibble.  The shop (4 Horton Parade) was much smaller than I expected from their magazine presence but a real Aladdin's cave: tremendous stock and all sorts of OOP items (eg Paragon) to be found if you rummaged deep enough.

A good and fair-minded servant of our hobby, right up there with Dave Hannant and Mike Silk.  RIP.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

TAHS got quite a lot of my money when they were selling bagged novo kits without decals & sometimes instructions. It was early days for me using a credit card but all transactions went perfectly, they were always good to deal with. I haven't used them in over thirty years now but to hear this sad news is a small link with a happy past gone. RIP Tony & thanks.

Steve.

• Like 2

Very sad news. I've visited the UK a couple of times, and a trip out to see Tony and Jan was a must every time. As Seahawk said, the shop (at least in the two iterations I visited) was a real Aladdin's cave, but a bit of conscientious ferreting always unearthed some gem or other. I certainly never left empty-handed!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Ptmvarsityfan said:

Shocked, I only spoke with him a few weeks ago to order some decals. A sad loss to the modelling trade. He was a major figure in civil aviation modelling and history. Condolences to Jan.

You probably spoke to Charlie who works in the shop, as Tony has not been there for a while because of his health

So sorry to hear this news, my condolences to his family.

I was always like a kid in a candy shop whenever I visited TAHS in Horton Road. I’m sure that’s what got me going on airliners. Almost anytime we went down the M4 I tried to wangle a trip off the motorway to drop in for a look round!.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Rest in peace Tony, TAHS was an all time great in aviation circles and a credit to Tony and Jan, later Philip and Clare. My first visit was back in ‘79, what a shop !

Best wishes and sympathy to Jan and family.

Nige.

Some of our club members attended the funeral, and the shop will be closing as Jan is moving away from West Drayton. Jan wishes it to be known that from Friday 1st July everything in the shop is to be sold off with a 50% discount including all from the 'stock room/lock up'.  Postage obviously applies if you order by phone.

Sad news indeed. Condolences.
I have used them through mail before the internet really took off in the late nineties -and it was a sure trip out west on our honeymoon trip to London in '90. A lovely scruffy hobbyshop with a LOT of stuff of all kinds. Loved the detail with the small and low 'saloondoor' at that time with a sign that said something like 'Staff only - executive suite' - where the area behind was anything but suite like! 😉

I revisited I think it was back en 2009 on a new address, but still in West Drayton. TAHS was probably the only reason to go to West Drayton! I'm shocked that TAHS is not on Tripadvisor top 10 list of things to see and do in West Drayton! :-0

Best regards

Flemming

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Flemming said:

Sad news indeed. Condolences.
I have used them through mail before the internet really took off in the late nineties -and it was a sure trip out west on our honeymoon trip to London in '90. A lovely scruffy hobbyshop with a LOT of stuff of all kinds. Loved the detail with the small and low 'saloondoor' at that time with a sign that said something like 'Staff only - executive suite' - where the area behind was anything but suite like! 😉

I revisited I think it was back en 2009 on a new address, but still in West Drayton. TAHS was probably the only reason to go to West Drayton! I'm shocked that TAHS is not on Tripadvisor top 10 list of things to see and do in West Drayton! :-0

Best regards

Flemming

They actually moved back to the original shop.

I remmber that this was THE place to get latest special edition Hasegawa/Fujimi Kits. Many a Superhornet was purchased.

Always popped in the shop if i was in that neck of the woods to have a rummge in the 'spares' box and to see whats lurking on the shelves.

Sad news, but fond memories that THIS was a PROPER model shop.

• Like 2