African Mig-29

Tomjw

Hi All,

This might be a really stupid question, but I'm planning on building a Sudanese Mig-29UB and would like to know if those aircraft have Russian language stencils? Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks,

Tom

I would not be surprised to find they have stencils in English language. Exported MiGs often have stencils in the language requested by the customer, although there are exceptions. English language stencils seem to have been quite common on MiGs in Middle East and African service while stencils in French language are also used, for example on the Algerian MiG-29s

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I would not be surprised to find they have stencils in English language. Exported MiGs often have stencils in the language requested by the customer, although there are exceptions. English language stencils seem to have been quite common on MiGs in Middle East and African service while stencils in French language are also used, for example on the Algerian MiG-29s

10 hours ago, magman2 said:

English stencils but don’t have many one the aircraft 

Su-25 note the blue stencils 

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses and guidance.

English it is. Now to search for something that looks the part.

Cheers,

Tom

5 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Sadly, my eyes can't make out the language of the stencil on this Sudanese MiG-29. Can anybody out there make it out?

34534404355_e18043ea1a_o.jpg

Hi Blimpyboy. It's 604. New glasses for you, I think 🤓😂

Sorry, in all seriousness, I can't make the stencil out either.

Cheers,

Tom

• Haha 1

Another picture of a Sudanese Su-25 which shows English stencils: https://fullfatthings-keyaero.b-cdn.net/sites/keyaero/files/comment_forum/2015/06/08/New Picture.jpg

Usage of Cyrillic script would make no sense on the MiGs when other machines clearly use English as this would be standardized across all aircraft. Furthermore, Cyrillic script would make training unnecessarily complicated, especially as different language stencils can be requested and English and French are regularly used in these countries.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

For me they are cyrillic.There is the V (B),C (S),the cyrillic P and the Sh.

Saluti

Giampiero

Thanks Giampiero. That adds an interesting twist into things. 

7 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Another picture of a Sudanese Su-25 which shows English stencils: https://fullfatthings-keyaero.b-cdn.net/sites/keyaero/files/comment_forum/2015/06/08/New Picture.jpg

Usage of Cyrillic script would make no sense on the MiGs when other machines clearly use English as this would be standardized across all aircraft. Furthermore, Cyrillic script would make training unnecessarily complicated, especially as different language stencils can be requested and English and French are regularly used in these countries.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus. That's a good photo English it is.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi

As a Russian-speaking person in the photo, I see the inscription НЕ СТАНОВИТЬСЯ (DO NOT WALK).

spacer.png

Here in the picture I circled how these letters look (another plane).

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I also could not find clear photos of these inscriptions on the Sudan MiG-29.

There are no such inscriptions on the upper air intakes of Russian Air Force aircraft. They say that they were made only for some export aircraft. But I heard this only verbally, I have no confirmation.

I may be wrong, because it's strange if there are inscriptions in Russian on a plane painted for another country. Moreover, the inscriptions DANGER on Russian-made Sudanese helicopters are written in English.

But my eyes tell me НЕ СТАНОВИТЬСЯ there.

Perhaps the eyes are old and it's time to change them. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Hi

As a Russian-speaking person in the photo, I see the inscription НЕ СТАНОВИТЬСЯ (DO NOT WALK).

spacer.png

Unfortunately this is a Screenshot from a Computer game (Digital Combat Simulator) and as such not representative of the real item: https://images.app.goo.gl/gZxhxTBYx2fGTakUA

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Unfortunately this is a Screenshot from a Computer game (Digital Combat Simulator) and as such not representative of the real item: https://images.app.goo.gl/gZxhxTBYx2fGTakUA

Cheers

Markus

I'm too trusting. :)

So my thoughts are groundless. Excuse me.

Dmitriy