TAMIYA 1/20 F189 Late version

Hello!

I'm working on a 1/20 scale F1 vehicle for the first time.

This is the most beautiful F1 vehicle I personally think.
When I was young, I saw this car for the first time in the Tamiya catalog 
I remember watching for a long time with the F40, NSX. 
NSX is the only real thing I've ever seen in my life. Haha;;

I thought it would be easier to work with fewer parts and simpler than the F1 kits released these days. But it wasn't as easy as I thought.

52083968514_36256e4f79_c.jpg

As shown in the picture, the top and bottom cowls are detachable, so they can be opened and displayed even after completion, but they are just placed on top.

When I assembled it, it didn't fit perfectly, so I tried to put it together several times.

In the case of fine steps, I tried to match them as much as possible while grinding.
Additionally, I applied it to fit well using a 2mm circular magnet.
I think it's my first time to repeat the fit so many times while making Tamya products.;;

52083968509_a6b24725c2_c.jpg

The body colors are moderately blended with finisher's mica red and pure red.

When painting the red color, I made a slight gap and painted it all at once, just in case the tone changed.

52083726246_35543072dd_c.jpg

52082692422_83e7245347_c.jpg

The line is very pretty and the red color goes really well with it. I chose the Nigel Mansell car.

52083746968_9fe7956aa8_c.jpg

52083726261_5b91402644_c.jpg

I put on a clear coat once. 

I think it will be the hardest part of this kit to match the top cowl and the front part of the top cowl.

I thought a lot about what to do because I thought there would be a connection line that's not in the real car

If I go through construction to solve this part, I think I could ruin the left and right balance of the front arm, so I'm just going to make it as small as possible.

• Like 11

Very nice :) 

To be honest, I built one of these kits a couple of years ago and the fit of the top cowl to the body wasn't the best, I used little bits of bluetac to hold down the parts so I could still remove the top if needed. I don't think I have ever seen one of these built where the body fit is brilliant, but if you manage to do it a lot of people will be happy to find out how :) 

I've also got the early one with the roll bar as well, so that may be the same

Good luck and I'm following along :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Looks like a good beginning to this, the red paint is looking very smooth. I think that this kit is pretty much reknowned for that line around the  waistline - the one I made 30 years had exactly that issue even though I had the sides and the top reasonably well aligned so as Redstaff said a lot of people will be interested to see how you sorted it if you do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Very nice :) 

To be honest, I built one of these kits a couple of years ago and the fit of the top cowl to the body wasn't the best, I used little bits of bluetac to hold down the parts so I could still remove the top if needed. I don't think I have ever seen one of these built where the body fit is brilliant, but if you manage to do it a lot of people will be happy to find out how :) 

I've also got the early one with the roll bar as well, so that may be the same

Good luck and I'm following along :) 

Ian :) 

18 hours ago, Spiny said:

Looks like a good beginning to this, the red paint is looking very smooth. I think that this kit is pretty much reknowned for that line around the  waistline - the one I made 30 years had exactly that issue even though I had the sides and the top reasonably well aligned so as Redstaff said a lot of people will be interested to see how you sorted it if you do.

52086842444_72958a57d2_b.jpg

As shown in this picture, I am making it by applying neodymium magnets, two on one side, so that it can be detached.

The mount holding the magnet is made of plastic plates. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2022 at 00:32, slippers said:

It's impressive that you're brave enough to glue all of those painted parts together!

Looks mint. 👍

On 15/07/2022 at 01:17, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good. Paint job is first class.

On 17/07/2022 at 22:23, SprueMan said:

That is really well done. Very clean and detailed build and paintwork!

Thank you all. 
I will come back soon after finishing the assembly work. 🙂