+FINISHED+ Bedford OLDB dropside lorry

Redstaff

I'm joining in with this one if you'll have me

It should be a fairly easy build and hopefully I can get it done by the deadline :) 

I'll probably go with the all over BRS red scheme as I have the paint for it, but not the blood and custard for the BR one as on the box

It was new and unstarted and I've just glued the engine and chassis together last night ready for painting

More pics later hopefully :)

Ian 

20200818_143511_resized

• Like 3

As promised, a progress report :)

This is as far as I have got, bit of prepping in the tank seams and block, then primer and paint. Once that is done it looks like I can just paint parts and build up as I go along quite easily using the chassis as a base. Little bits of flash, but the fit of the parts is really quite good :) 

I'm tempted to build the other 3 in the series at some point as well :) 

20220519_114016

• Like 4

Managed to get all the bits of the chassis that need to be SGB attached and all the bits to be added after detail painting primed this afternoon, then the SGB on this evening, trying to get every bit covered was quite challenging while trying to hold it and turn it

Zero primer and SGB used

Hopefully detail and add the bits over the weekend and maybe even on it's wheels :) 

20220520_220306

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

What's SGB? I must have missed something...

Sorry @JeroenS, I thought it was a common term as I've seen it on other sites, it stands for  Semi Gloss Black 

Ian 😄

• Like 2

Sorry for all the confusion regarding SGB I thought it was common terminology 

I usually use it as I'm too idle to keep writing it in full 🤣

• Haha 1

We're probably all in agreement with you, on having to repeat long phrases.  When I write anything which might be less well known on other sites, I write the the full phrase out for the first time and add the initials in brackets.  After that, I can simply keep using the initials.   As and example, I would write, the aerial tuning unit (ATU) can be fitted to the front wing or on a cage mounting.  The ATU needs to be connect to the radio via a coaxial cable etc., and more than one ATU could be found on a radio vehicle.

I still don't know what RLM is!  :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1

This reminds me of a truck my Uncle Jim had - same nose but a Maroon coloured tipper with perhaps a shorter wheelbase in the 1960's. He was what might be called an "Independent Haulier" and was involved in the rebuilding of the runway at Yeadon when it became "Leeds-Bradford Airport" and we always used to joke that he was responsible for the apparent "hump" in the runway.

I know what you mean about abbreviations, I sometime use MSG and XDSG for Medium and Extra Dark Sea Grey.

Pete

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PeterB said:

This reminds me of a truck my Uncle Jim had - same nose but a Maroon coloured tipper with perhaps a shorter wheelbase in the 1960's.

Hi Pete

Emhar also do a short wheelbase tipper and breakdown truck in the same range along with a long wheelbase tanker

It would be cool to make a copy of your uncles lorry :) 

Ian 

Frame extensions and wheels now painted and added, starting to come along nicely.

The wheels are Tamiya LP Italian red, seems a decent match for the BRS scheme I'm going for, (British Road Services befoe I confuse anyone) ;) 

I've also added a set of leads to the engine for a bit of detailing.

20220523_003024

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

That is looking very good indeed Ian.  Any chance of a close in view of where you have added the leads?

cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike

I'll try and take a pic later 

Ian 

• Like 1

Hi Mike @bootneck

This is what I did with the leads, it's probably not 100% accurate, but it was close enough for me to be happy

I've used Tamiya 0.65mm black cable, just needs a little touching up with black to cover the superglue that has dried a white colour

The one to the coil, I couldn't get behind where I wanted it, so it went underneath ;) 

Ian

20220523_181928

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking at that pic has reminded me that I need to sort something out for the rocker cover breather cap that disapeared across the room and got eaten by the carpet monster while I was cutting it off the sprue 🤣

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian.

British Road Services - that brings back memories. When I first went to Uni my parents packed up a ruddy big suitcase and sent it by BRS to Liverpool whilst I went by bus. The only problem was that I had to go to their depot and collect it once it arrived - nearly killed me. A couple of years later they apparently became the National Freight Corporation and have since been sort of merged/split out of existence it seems.

Pete

• Like 2

Great kit. I remember Ted Taylor building a few of these before he passed away. Probably his last models.

Thanks for the explanation of SGB as I too am new to that one!

• Thanks 1

Some more sub assemblies built and primed ready for some painting over the weekend hopefully :) 

Then it'll be my attempt at the wooden floor 

Starting to come together nicely now :) 

20220526_221505

• Like 2

Trial fit of all the main parts just in case any fettling was needed before painting the red, all seems ok, so paint to be applied tonight :) 

20220530_055243

• Like 4

Got some red applied last night and started to fit the bits together :) 

Hopefully going to have a bash at the real wood decking with the veneer I have got hold of 

20220530_231242

• Like 4

Got out of work a couple of hours early and managed to get the decals on this afternoon. I was going to do the Derby group one as it is closest to me, but one of the decals decided it was going to float off the backing and curl up into a ball that I couldn't unravel, so plan B and not leaving them in the water too long was the way forward  

Mirror, lights and wipers to fit probably over the weekend and I'm done  :) 

Then I'll take some decent pics and add to the gallery 

20220601_170408

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Wasn't Bedford tied to GM or something like that? I know Opel was.

I think in the UK Bedford was tied in with Vauxhall, which was tied in with Opel, so the GM link is there in one way or another, think that may have been after the era of these lorries though, but I'm not 100% sure. If my memory seves me right, Bedford became the commercial arm of Vauxhall / GM 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

I think in the UK Bedford was tied in with Vauxhall, which was tied in with Opel, so the GM link is there in one way or another, think that may have been after the era of these lorries though, but I'm not 100% sure. If my memory seves me right, Bedford became the commercial arm of Vauxhall / GM 

Ian :) 

I just remember reading something about Opel Blitz trucks had GM engines built in Germany. But I figured GM had some connection.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:34 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

These look great. I haven't seen this kit up close till now. Wasn't Bedford tied to GM or something like that? I know Opel was.

Wiki tells me that that the Bedford brand was actually created by GM in Britain in the 1930s.  The original models apparently used several Chevrolet components including engines.  I've learnt something new today!

• Like 2