Platinum Jubilee groupbuild Chat

I don't know how I missed this GB, and while unfortunately I won't be able to participate I think it's a great idea and will watch everybody's builds with great interest.

I had the good fortune to meet Her Maj once and while if I'm honest I'm no great monarchist I think she is a splendid woman. The sight of her tapping out "We Will Rock You" on the royal china with a teaspoon yesterday evening was gold.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a wee bit busy the last few days

I'll do my 'rounds' later this evening and see hows youse are all getting on with your builds

Be warned; I'm coming round for inspection, wearing the white gloves, checking for dust on your modelling desk. All paints in numerical order, lined up, labels facing outwards, brushes washed out and standing to attention in your brush jar, all bristles combed neatly

I think I need to clean up my own desk before I come round on my inspection

my%20desk,%20at%2011.11,%2016-6-22,-L.jp

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Be warned; I'm coming round for inspection, wearing the white gloves, checking for dust on your modelling desk. All paints in numerical order, lined up, labels facing outwards, brushes washed out and standing to attention in your brush jar, all bristles combed neatly

Looks like I'll be on seven day restrictions.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope this is ok to post ? While researching for information on my CF.100 build over in Canada I came across this photo. Its the Queen and Prince Philip  reviewing an Royal Canadian Air force base in 1957. 

RGD3dWr.jpg

This may inspire another build here as I think this qualifies. Either the Cf.100 or the Cadillac she is in. 

Dennis

@Enzo Matrix if this photo is against the rules please delete I’m not trying to get the Forum in trouble. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I have my doubts about the authenticity of that photo

I know that model of Cadillac and if that is HM in the back seat then she is about 7ft tall, whereas she is 5ft 3

It looks like HM and DoE are pasted in images

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Aaarghh - a huge hole has just been identified in the contents of my stash!

Nothing that I can associate as in service in 1952.

Edited later:

But her wartime service ambulance looked like this one  -  phew.

Airfix-Rescue-Set.jpg

Scrutiny of this kit has just revealed that it's significantly incomplete. I won't be able to rejoin with Princess Elizabeth's ambulance.

Box of bits will be gifted to an IPMS colleague at next meeting. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

All quiet on the western front?

The other day I picked up another coach on a BiN on ebay;

Gold%20State%20Coach,%2001-L.jpg

Not only is it what it is but the original moulding dates from 1953 according to Scalemates

The box looks a bit crushed but its still sealed in is original cellophane

Supposed to be 1/48

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, Black Knight said:

All quiet on the western front?

The other day I picked up another coach on a BiN on ebay;

Gold%20State%20Coach,%2001-L.jpg

Not only is it what it is but the original moulding dates from 1953 according to Scalemates

The box looks a bit crushed but its still sealed in is original cellophane

Supposed to be 1/48

Hi BK

Looks a lot better than the tiny one I was bought for the Coronation - silver coloured metal as I recall. By all accounts it is not a very comfortable ride and is ruddy heavy - no doubt about HRH riding it though!

I was not thinking of entering this but under the circumstances I may think of something that qualifies - don't suppose anybody knows the serial/census number of the Austin K2 she is stood by in Enzo's photo? Failing that it may be a Firefly/Sea Fury from 1952.

Pete

Thanks BK,

Of course, whilst both the Airfix and Gekko have the option of that particular vehicle they do not agree on the colour and I have not been able to find a copy of the Airfix instructions to check the markings but some are partly visible on the pics on their website! Certainly the SCC15 OD finish on the Airfix kit looks more like the photo than the brown SCC2 suggested by Gekko (unlike the green box top pic), whilst the Gekko "driver learning vehicle" markings are totally different to those on the Airfix kit - ruddy typical! However, a pic just shown on the BBC tribute to the Queen seems to show that Gekko are correct about the markings but probably wrong about the colour.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

@PeterB Join the debate!

Looks like it has been covered pretty well to me. I would guess bulled up Khaki Green 3 with the various canvas panels being at least partly responsible for the apparent 2 tone effect. Whilst SCC2 is a definite possibility on some, the pictures in 1945 appear to show a green/brown colour and I would not have thought home based training vehicles would be repainted in SCC15 unless subject to major bodywork repairs. They would also be very unlikely to have a disruptive camo pattern such as black SCC14 or "very dark brown" SCC1A applied. As it was a training unit I would have thought it would be an old "second hand" vehicle rather than new but I am no expert on the K2/Y. The ancient Airfix 1/72 "Emergency Set" says "Dark Earth" so I guess they meant SCC2 which was described as looking like "a cup of coffee with milk".

Incidentally, my understanding is that the RAF did not own many if any of these during WWII but "borrowed them" from the Army in theatre, eg in Italy. .

Pete

Edited by PeterB