Platinum Jubilee groupbuild Chat

42 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

HM & the Duke at Trooping the Colour

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCiLNKmv5IoVjKMeedgRx

The model kit will need a wee bit of alteration to match

A good choice there, but don't let @perdu know that you might be planning that one!  :jealous:

I believe he has a thing for horses and carts :giggle:

Mike  

• Confused 1

On 18/05/2022 at 20:08, vppelt68 said:

If a non-Commonwealthian is allowed to pay his respect to Her Majesty, wouldn't it be just appropriate to do that with a Colonial wingy thingy? If that's ok, I'm in with this:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/1598

V-P

Quoting myself, sorry, but just to remind you what I was talking about and now planning... I have dug out the information in some good photos that show all the details to do a "correct" Rose of York - the nose script and flower art of course remain a challenge. Modellingwise, I just happen to have a Revell 1:72 scale B-17G that I have only started to stagger her waist window, but I haven't even finished that job yet, so way below 0,25% in my opinion! This summer will be extra busy, though, and I haven't made up my mind yet about this one. V-P

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I just happen to have a Revell 1:72 scale B-17G that I have only started to stagger her waist window, but I haven't even finished that job yet, so way below 0,25% in my opinion! This summer will be extra busy, though, and I haven't made up my mind yet about this one. V-P

Hi V-P

Haven't you got a B-17 to finish in the Matchbox GB first ? :wink:

• Haha 3

Subject picked, was planning on doing what could be a tricky conversion of an airfix mkV spitfire to clipped wings soon, but discovered researching this the BBMF V I did a couple of years back which was meant to be for the 2013 season was actually repainted out that scheme prior to the Jubilee so that needs to be rectified at some point so why not kill two birds with one stone, had also hope their XVI would be eligible as I want to add it the 2013 lot but it was still being restored at the time of the Jubilee. Could do the XIX as it also wore that scheme in 2013 but airfix kits sold out, and could do the mkIX if it wasn't silver and I had bad experiences with the AZ kit I have. 

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2012/airshows/windsor/8.jpg 

• Like 2

On 22/05/2022 at 23:06, Black Knight said:

I've just remembered; the very original issue of the Airfix Beagle Basset 206 came with decals for the Queen's Flight. Later issues don't have those decals

But I have a set of them  :wicked:

The decals are in poor condition and will need some work or copying & printing to be useable but the bigger problem, not insurmountable, is that the very old kit the decals are with is missing its windscreen. If I can mould up a copy all is good, or I may have to buy a replacement from Airfix

I found the decals and put them under my UV lamp for a couple of days. They look much better now. Other than the roundels, I think with some LDF applied these might just be useable

Queen%27s%20Flight%20Basset%20decals%2C%

I received my book about the Queen's Flight. Generally its quite good but covers all the Royal Family and the photos are B&W and not too many showing much of any aircraft, so not too much help for this. I think I'll buy that other book. You can never have too many good books!

I might bring the Royal Barouche forward to first build

• Like 3

When I went looking in my stock for my Airfix D,H, Heron I couldn't find it and I thought I'd given it away [I do that sometimes] so I bought another one from an ebay seller a few days ago. It arrived this morning. In the mean time my original kit showed itself, in a box it should not have been in  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

.........my original kit showed itself, in a box it should not have been in  :rolleyes:

Perhaps it was hiding from you :giggle:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When I went looking in my stock for my Airfix D,H, Heron I couldn't find it and I thought I'd given it away [I do that sometimes] so I bought another one from an ebay seller a few days ago. It arrived this morning. In the mean time my original kit showed itself, in a box it should not have been in  :rolleyes:

spacer.png

• Haha 6

On 20/05/2022 at 20:26, JOCKNEY said:

Alternatively 

MGB QE2 1973

So if I can't find a model of a Corgi, I'll build an MGB instead. :wink:

Judging by what we can see of the roof line above the windscreen frame I think this is a DHC MGB [Chrome bumpers] 

The Airfix 1/32 kit would suit

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, Black Knight said:

A couple of boxings of the Heron came with Queen's Flight markings.  You never know what you might find in the box. 

J

• Like 1

Strictly my Beagle Basset 206 is disqualified from this GB

It was bought only for Prince Charles to learn in and get his multi-engine qualification. It was with the Queen's Flight from June 1969 to September 1971, After that it went to 32 squadron

As I have the decals for it I think I'll still build a Basset and use them, but out-side the GB

That first book I bought does have a list of the aircraft used by the Queen's [ & King's] Flight,  dates acquired, & disposed,  serial numbers, who mainly used it and where the aircraft went on to

It also has a description of the internal seating of the main Herons, but no colours mentioned

• Like 2

A Platinum Jubbly only comes around once in . . . . er. . . . 70 years

Make the most of it, buy it  buy it buy it buy it  buy it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BUY IT !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A Platinum Jubbly only comes around once in . . . . er. . . . 70 years

Make the most of it, buy it  buy it buy it buy it  buy it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BUY IT !

Given that Chas is already past retirement age, and the subsequent back-log, I don't suppose there will ever be another one!

I think there should be proverb about not needing to knock loudly on an open door! Fortunately the door of Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds was wide open; build thread along soon.

• Like 2

Hi Enzo,

I wonder if I could participate in this Group Build, please?

With Pat @JOCKNEY's permission, I would like to submit the MG TC, as owned by Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten RN while courting HRH Princess Elizabeth.

Matchbox PK-306 is slated to be the victim, should this be acceptable :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

By all means.  Just open a build thread and get cracking!  :thumbsup:

Brilliant, Enzo, thanks! As soon as the kit arrives, I'll get going :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1