Platinum Jubilee groupbuild Chat

73-E3960-A-36-E9-4118-A0-BC-51-C0-C77025went on the interweb looking for that scheme and found this. One of the Tornados is definitely ending up in this scheme.

B6-B81-B1-E-3194-438-A-B25-D-281916-F93-Found it. Now I like that.

Edited by Marklo

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

73-E3960-A-36-E9-4118-A0-BC-51-C0-C77025went on the interweb looking for that scheme and found this. One of the Tornados is definitely ending up in this scheme.

Is Her Majesty in that photograph?  If not then I'm afraid it's not eligible.   The 25 Year Tornado definitely is though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is Her Majesty in that photograph?  If not then I'm afraid it's not eligible.   The 25 Year Tornado definitely is though.

I don’t think so, but I just have to build it :) 

For this GB I think I’ll build the Revell 1:72 tornado in the 25 year scheme.

• Like 2

Well Ive been doing some digging so far for the Sabre F.4 that I want to do. I believe it to be either 3 Squadron or more likely 66 Squadron as the timing for conversion on type seems to be right. I also found this photo. Of XB582 which I believe was taken the same day in July 1953 at R.A.F. Odiham. In the background are what appear to be a Washington (B-29) wing and Vampire. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/e18-canadair-sabre-cl-13-mk-xb582-161077070

so now I have a close up of my subject just meed to sort decals out and Ive place a wanted add for them in the wants section. 

• Like 1

I may potentially go with a Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury. There are several examples from 1952 on Fundekals sheet on the subject. 

0si6FI3.jpg

Edited by Threadbear
adding image
  • Like 3

I, too, have been looking for something to do.

There are lots and lots of subjects that can be done but what inspires me?

A search showed up that the Queen's Flight used the D.H, Heron

Image2Queens%20Jubilee%20GB.%20D.H.%20He

and I have this Airfix kit;

D.H.%20Heron%20II%2C%2001s-M.jpg

There are - were - a set of decals available for this but its out of stock at the moment, so it may have to be decals from spares and careful painting

and the other day I bought through ebay an old book on the Queen's Flight [not received yet]

s-l200.jpg

It only goes to about 1986, but it only costs about £3.50 - £4.50 There is a later book which goes to 2017.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

There are - were - a set of decals available for this but its out of stock at the moment, so it may have to be decals from spares and careful painting

A sheet of white decal stripes should solve all your problems. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

I've checked, I have several sheets of white lines

And sheets with RAF command titles

Looks like you're good to go.  And a very distinctive subject as well. :thumbsup:

I have decals for a Queen's Flight Chipmunk, but I very much doubt that Her Majesty ever flew in it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I, too, have been looking for something to do.

There are lots and lots of subjects that can be done but what inspires me?

A search showed up that the Queen's Flight used the D.H, Heron

Image2Queens%20Jubilee%20GB.%20D.H.%20He

and I have this Airfix kit;

D.H.%20Heron%20II%2C%2001s-M.jpg

and the other day I bought through ebay an old book on the Queen's Flight [not received yet]

s-l200.jpg

It only goes to about 1986, but it only costs about £3.50 - £4.50 There is a later book which goes to 2017.

Ooooh Those are one of my favorite airliners from the era. 

• Like 1

I've just remembered; the very original issue of the Airfix Beagle Basset 206 came with decals for the Queen's Flight. Later issues don't have those decals

But I have a set of them  :wicked:

The decals are in poor condition and will need some work or copying & printing to be useable but the bigger problem, not insurmountable, is that the very old kit the decals are with is missing its windscreen. If I can mould up a copy all is good, or I may have to buy a replacement from Airfix

• Like 1

I've been racking my brains and Google and it looks extremely likely that Buccaneer XV361 from 208 Squadron took place in a 16 aircraft flypast for the Queen's Birthday in 1993. It flew from RAF Manston for this flypast. 

This is the only possible contender I have in the stash. 

There is no photograph with the Queen looking at the aircraft, but I think it's a pretty safe bet she saw it? :whistle:

If anyone can shed any further light on the matter it would be appreciated! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

There is no photograph with the Queen looking at the aircraft, but I think it's a pretty safe bet she saw it? :whistle:

If it took part in a Royal flypast, review or parade, then it's eligible!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It looks like the flypast on 2 June will be using the town where I live as a marker, so I'll probably get to see them but they will be at about 17000 feet.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy that telephoto lens or telescope ? 

• Haha 1

I was struggling to think of anything suitable for this GB but then I thought that Her Majesty must have seen the Red Arrows a few times over the years. Then I found a thread on the Silver Jubilee review at Finningley and discovered that I've got quite a few options so I might go for a Lightning or Jaguar.  🙂

Edited by TimJ
  • Like 3

I have given my subject a lot of thought.  The Queen has reigned for seventy years so my subject needs to take that in to account.   The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight took part in every Jubilee flypast: 1977, 2002, 2012 and will also do so on 2 June this year.   Two aircraft have been consistent in attending every flypast; Lancaster PA474 and Hurricane LF363.

My subject will be Hurricane LF363...   but I will build three models representing the marking schemes carried in 1977, 2002/2012 and this year.   LF363 is a Mk IIC but has spent most of its life masquerading as a Mk I with the cannons removed.  It has mostly worn Battle of Britain camouflage (which it never wore in service) but with different codes at each jubilee.  There is a possibilty that A and B schemes were worn at differnt points in time.

• Like 4

I've just scored an unusual one on ebay this evening;

s-l1600.jpg

There are photos of HM in a barouche but so far the ones I've found are not clear*. Better photos of HM in a carriage are of her in her landau

Its quite surprising how many people don't know the difference between a barouche and a landau    :fraidnot:

* still looking

yaay! got a decent one, HM & the Duke at Trooping the Colour

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCiLNKmv5IoVjKMeedgRx

The model kit will need a wee bit of alteration to match

• Like 4