Platinum Jubilee groupbuild Chat

Hi all,

It has been suggested that we hold a special groupbuild to celebrate the platinum jubilee of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. 

For a forum entitled Britmodeller, I feel this is entirely appropriate, so we have added it to the calendar.  It will run from Friday 2 June (Jubilee Day) to Sunday 25 September.

So...   what will be eligible for this groupbuild?

There will be two categories. The first refers to the coronation year of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.   Any military equipment in service with British and Commonwealth forces in 1952 is eligible.  Any civilian equipment in general use at that time is also eligible.  One restriction is that the markings must show that item in 1952.  So, for example, a Canberra B2 in 101 Sqn markings would be eligible, whereas a Canberra B(I)8 would not.

The second category is for anything directly associated with Her Majesty.  It doesn't matter what the date is, if Her Majesty flew on it, travelled in it, sailed on it, even looked at it...   then it's in!  However, once again there is a restriction.  You subject must be proven to be associated with Her Majesty, either by documentation or a linked photo.

In this category the most obvious subject would be an Austin Tilly. There are famous photographs showing Princess Elizabeth changing the wheel of one of these. That specific Tilly would be perfectly eligible.  Also in those photographs is an Austin K2.  The forthcoming Airfix kit even has a marking option for that one.

Anything operated by the RAF Queen's Flight is in.  HMY Britannia.  How many naval vessels has the Queen been on board?  Well, they are all in - and not just British and Commonwealth ones.  Wanna build a car?  The Queen has often been picured in Range Rovers.  Provided you can find a valid registration plate (shouldn't be difficult) then it's in.  If you can find a picture of the Queen stood nezt to a Canberra B(I)8, then the previous restriction is overcome.

This category has a huge scope.  Earlier today I found a picture of the Queen stood next to the Tiger tank at Bovington tank museum.

Whatever your favourite subject, I'm sure you can find a picture of the Queen stood next to it!

Thanks go to @Black Knight for the idea.  He will be co-hosting it with yours truly.

So...   what subjects can you come up with?

How about this one?  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/defmodel-df20002-corgi-thor--1154873

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

If a non-Commonwealthian is allowed to pay his respect to Her Majesty, wouldn't it be just appropriate to do that with a Colonial wingy thingy? If that's ok, I'm in with this:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/1598

That is exactly in the spirit of the GB!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The Coronation Flypast in 1953 featured 144 RAF Meteors and 24 RCAF Sabres.

In 1954 the Coronation Flypast had 640 aircraft.  There must be some suitable subjects there.  

Tjhis link provides some codes and serials of aircraft at the Royal Review in 1953.  Anyone fancy a Shackleton?  https://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/nos10.html

How about the Royal Navy Phantoms with the 1977 silver jubilee nose flashes for example and any thing for that years Jubilee connections?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul J said:

How about the Royal Navy Phantoms with the 1977 silver jubilee nose flashes for example and any thing for that years Jubilee connections?

I hadn't considered that sort of thing.  They seem reasonable. And it's likely that anything with Jubilee special markings would have taken part in a flypast for Her Majesty at some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

If a non-Commonwealthian is allowed to pay his respect to Her Majesty, wouldn't it be just appropriate to do that with a Colonial wingy thingy? If that's ok, I'm in with this:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/1598

V-P

V-P found this one.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcoming/Photos/igphoto/2000554602/

• Like 3

Airfix did a Club kit of a Meteor F.8 and decals for two of the squadrons which did the Coronation Review in 1952

19 squadron; These same decals are on an Xtradecal sheet 'History of 19 Squadron' 

Meteor%20F.8%2001%2C%2009s-M.jpg

92 squadron

Meteor%20F.8%2002%2C%2007s-M.jpg

• Like 3

Ok so I found this, any help in Identifying the type of Sabre in the second photo ? 

https://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/nos10.html

The Queen is reviewing aircraft on 15 July 1953 at RAF Odiham. In the second photo from top there are four visible F-86 Sabres shown in the review line. Just as her motorcade passes in front of them. Now if I can determine the type of Sabre, the listing says Sabre F.1. However Im thinking F.4 myself as the one listing for Sabre F.1 says it was an F-86A and there was only 1 designated as such ? Also if I have one in the stash that works. I have a few that may but need to know for sure ? It will just be if I can find roundels and flashes that will work on said kits. If I have the right kit, and can fond decals count me in if I can figure all of this out ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

The example given; XB582 is a Canadaire Sabre F4, 

Ex RCAF 19489, d/d 04/05/1953, to USAF 08/11/1957, to YAF 06-045, to 11-047

afair Xtradecal does a sheet of RAF Sabres. It has squadron markings but you need to get roundels and letters/numbers off other sheets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have the kit Second hand but need to look if it came with decals or not ? I will know more tonight. 

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The example given; XB582 is a Canadaire Sabre F4, 

Ex RCAF 19489, d/d 04/05/1953, to USAF 08/11/1957, to YAF 06-045, to 11-047

afair Xtradecal does a sheet of RAF Sabres. It has squadron markings but you need to get roundels and letters/numbers off other sheets

Ok so the kit I have came with no decals, I can scrounge most if not all from spares. Of course it would be helpful if I had a few answers though ? What are the sizes of the roundels, flash, and did they at this point wear the wide band around the fuselage shown in Airfix instructions ? If so was it white, sky, or Oak as Airfix call for in their color callout’s here. k5Ki7J5.jpg

Now according to the photo there Doesn't seem to be a band and definitely no sharks-teeth. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

did they at this point wear the wide band around the fuselage shown in Airfix instructions ? If so was it white, sky, or Oak as Airfix call for in their color callout’s here.

The fuselage band would have been an exercise-specific marking.  The sharkmouth was only applied to 112 Sqn aircraft.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have the kit Second hand but need to look if it came with decals or not ? I will know more tonight. 

ModelDecal sheet on Hannants with loads of squadron specific markings

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD097

I'll need to check but afair roundels and underwing letters are 16 or 18 inch

• Thanks 1

I believe Prince Philip drove an MGTC when he was courting her majesty so that's an option.

Alternatively 

MGB QE2 1973

So if I can't find a model of a Corgi, I'll build an MGB instead. :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Oddly enough I was under the impression that the Queen did not have to have a number plate on "Royal" cars - but I am probably wrong - maybe she is exempt road fund tax!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

I’m struggling a little here, although I’m Irish I’d live to participate however the only things in the stash that might have been in service in 1952 are a 1/48 spitfire mk XIV and a 1/144 tempest mk V.

So any suggestions on whether these two would fit the bill and on appropriate colour schemes ?

Aaarghh - a huge hole has just been identified in the contents of my stash!

Nothing that I can associate as in service in 1952.

Edited later:

But her wartime service ambulance looked like this one  -  phew.

Airfix-Rescue-Set.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Aaarghh - a huge hole has just been identified in the contents of my stash!

Me too, I have plenty of earlier stuff and later stuff but between the spitfire mk XIV and a couple of tornados nothing.