Alpha models 1/24 Resin kits

Andy J

26 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I think what you mean is, if you let the inevitable consequences of a late night and possibly taking some, err... "lubrication" take their course, you will fail dismally to make the entirely rational decision that not only do you not need one of these things, but that you have nowhere to put it built or unbuilt, and it can only add to the towering pile of things that you will not build before you die that you already have.... 😜

...and on that cheery note...

Goodnight all....

best,

M.

In those circumstances, why stop at one?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

I shall do a little shopping tomorrow

I personally think the government should impose a windfall tax on hobby companies. They'd make more money at this moment compared to taxing the utility ones...

Nick

39 minutes ago, Fnick said:

I personally think the government should impose a windfall tax on hobby companies. They'd make more money at this moment compared to taxing the utility ones...

Nick

For goodness sake Nick, careful what you wish for errrrr...joke about....!! 🤣

K

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Also interested to get feedback on why would one be motivated to by an Alpha models kit.

Yes its beautiful, but its a kerb side with a iron board bottom and at a huge price tag.

Would love to build one for the experience but is it worth it for a kerb side?

3 hours ago, dcsmax said:

Also interested to get feedback on why would one be motivated to by an Alpha models kit.

Subject matter? They make a whole lot of interesting car kits that I doubt we'll ever see from 'mainstream' manufacturers.

but its a kerb side with a iron board bottom

Which personally are the type of kits I prefer to build! Hate messing with building up fiddly suspension and brake parts - and detailing engines doesn't much interest me either!!

a huge price tag.

And that's the only thing that stops me building them! :)

Keith

• Like 2

Alpha kits are well worth the money (and certainly not a HUGE price tag). Yes they are more expensive than plastic, but they are also way more satisfying to build. Subject matter is a big draw, but even if they brought out a kit that had been done by a plastic manufacturer, I'd always go for the Alpha item.

As with many more esoteric kits, it's not until you buy and build one that you realise how much better than the mainstream they are.

On 29/04/2023 at 08:29, keefr22 said:

That depends on your disposable income - they're way out of my reach!

Keith

Agreed: no offense intended. Just that the statement "huge price tag" seemed a bit OTT. They are more expensive than plastic, but not 'hugely' more expensive. Some of the limited-edition Japanese resin kits (TC Berg, Wave, Club, Modeler's etc) are maybe twice the price of an Alpha kit. The Tamiya McLaren Senna kit is circa £45 RRP in the UK while the Alpha McLaren P1 GTR is circa £145.

If it's a case of buying three plastic kits or one Alpha, some us would rather spend the money on the Alpha. Is the increased fidelity and detail worth paying three times as much? For me it's a yes, but it's a personal decision. Either is the right way to go if it floats your boat :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

no offense intended.

None taken! :)

And tbf, before medical retirement when my income was a lot healthier I'd often buy and build white metal or resin kits and really enjoyed them. But I have far more plastic kits than I'll ever get round to building so they'll see me out! 

Keith

• Like 2

I really enjoy sitting in on the discourse between you all, you’re so respectful to each other, this whole forum is a welcome bit of decency that isn’t readily available in the US. Thank you. Also l, I too wanted to know about alpha models!

• Like 4