U-510 Late War Type IX C Monsun U-Boat

"The Monsun U-boats were perhaps the most special "wolfpack" in the war as they operated very far from Germany and its occupied countries, namely in the Indian Ocean out of japanese provided bases in Indonesia. They operated out of Penang, Jakarta and Sabang in 1943-1945 and scored some hits against allied shipping. In the beginning the Monsun operations were almost like the "Happy Days" or better as most shipping in the Indian Ocean was conducted like in peacetime, however in 1943 this started to change and eventually these waters became just as dangerous as the North Atlantic."

--U-boat.net

I've made a bit more progress, concentrating on the upper railing. The kit offerings are definitely too thick for scale, but I believe they are salvageable with some judicious filing, which I've commenced here on the right:

SR9z9ta.jpg

I've also taken the first steps towards making U-510 different than the kit by scratchbuilding the ladder which extended on the port side of the fairwater/tower, which can be seen from this photograph from VinBizz4786’s excellent build:

qOUsNx1.jpg

W4nMXov.jpg

0c1LeOc.jpg

And an overhead photo:

YU7qFHt.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 6

Hi Great work with the model. Im wondering about the Rivet detail on the hull...as most boats were welded plate construction, so were there lots of rivets showing? As far as colour is concerned, there was experiments with a Black bitumastic covering of the hull that was meant to counter Asdic pings....but i know there was problems with adhesion on some boats that caused more eddy sound than a plain hull.

Edited by maybach_man

Thank you! Yes the Revell kits have a reputation for over-pronounced rivets, and a gentle sanding can tame them nicely. The Accurate Model Parts website (https://amp.rokket.biz/books.shtml) have some excellent reference articles about paint and finish, and Dougie Martindale suggests that only some of the Type VII boats had the rubberized coating. U-510 left the docks for her Indian Ocean mission just a few weeks prior to U-505, so I’m choosing to paint her in a similar fashion. Note also the fairwater/tower had much of its surface made from galvanized steel, and paint tended to preverentially peel from these surfaces.

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Winston Churchill once wrote that, "the only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril".

It has been a few weeks, but I have been plugging away, albeit slowly since I am glad to write that I have a new job keeping me busy. I've added the jackstaff and the  2 cm Flak C30 twin guns. The latter has been by far the trickiest part of the entire build so far, with a myriad of pieces that could hold a rave on the head of a pin!

HxahiYD.jpg

kFovRCE.jpg

xfVlGHI.jpg

Almost done with the upper wintergarten, and then I'll focus on the lower level. Until next time,

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 8

• 1 year later...