Airacobra (one previous owner !)

Kit - Eduard 'Profipack' original issue.

Paint - All acrylics.

Decals - Kit & Aeromaster 

Extras - none.

Bell P-39Q-20  Airacobra

GC 1/5 'Champagne' 

Southern France

September 1944

ndIePYC.jpg

0zMRVay.jpg

P8KuvLn.jpg

GxKVD36.jpg

JcMOjxx.jpg

aSzKjwp.jpg

0Z9u73D.jpg

XByuoIQ.jpg

koHWkJl.jpg

G10gsr4.jpg

MMOiM3s.jpg

jshxdTO.jpg

HFOAFFz.jpg

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I genuinely forgot that I had this kit until it 'appeared' during a stash tidying session... happy, happy modeller !

Everything you see here comes from the Profipack box with the exception of a couple of decals. The build was so straightforward - not one to rush, you need to really think it through and read-ahead - but virtually problem free until you get to the wings which are realistically thick on the leading edge but unrealistically thick on the trailing edge. It's a known issue with the kit and easily solved with the robust application of 'some modelling skills'.

After the usual primer-coat, I decided to try to achieve a heat-faded / bleached effect for the paint using the usual pre & post shading techniques and lightening the OD & NG tones (both Tamiya). I read that many of the French P-39Q's were taken from stockpiles that had been in North Africa for a few months in open storage so this is what I've tried to replicate. Weathering & leaks etc are mainly achieved with W & N oils and some MIG washes, the exhaust plume is Tamiya 'Buff', 'Red Brown' and dry-brushed oil-paint and I'm really pleased with how it came out.. Eduard would have you build the French 'option' as a late P-39Q-25 with a four-blade prop but by changing to a three-blade Q-20 and altering the side number I've employed a little artistic license (also explains the painted-over Stars'n Bars). It may upset a purist or two, but I can live with that.

Please feel free to ask any questions, make any comments or criticisms. All the best from an Autumnal NZ.

Ian.

• Like 33

Thanks folks... very much appreciated. Already started on the next build with two more 'lying-in-wait' after that one.

All the best.

Ian.