DBR9 Wheels - with a bit of a how to CAD

albertross

HI All,

Was doing a bit of research on the aforementioned DBR9 and stumbled across this excellent build article.

Having read @JuanjoDominguez build he mentioned about the wheels not being 'the best' so i did a little research as I thought these would be excellent candidates for 3D printing.

Thus the worm hole opened...

I hope Juanjo doesn't mind me reusing his image for illustration purposes. The image shows a front and rear. You can see the the work he has done to remove mould misalignment.

52079993302_7d1a7a95fa_z.jpg

In looking for images i came across the Rofgo website. Just google Rofgo Collection, they have some excellent images of 007 & 009 including detail shots of the wheels.

The below are snippets just a few of those images. Rofgo is mostly a collection of Gulf liveried racing cars

Front Left 009

DBR9-009 FL

Rear Right 009

009-RR

It immediately jumped out at me that the whilst the wheels in the kit are fairly similar the spoke pattern is actually a little different. The front has 2 corner rads on one cut out, whilst the rear has a single rad.

Further research was required. 

From the images and an on line article from Racecar Engineering  wheel size was determined as DIA 18"  front and rear, width is 12,5" front and 13" rear. Tyre sizes were 31/71-18 rear and 30/65-18 on the front.

A quick trawl of Michelin technical catalogue gave up the necessary information for the 31/71-18

52081543470_64612c62ca_z.jpg

As we can see the tyre code relates to the sizing. So 31 is a reference to the tread width 31 - 310mm  and the 71 a reference to the OD  - 710mm & 18 for 18 " wheel simple stuff.

The info for the front tyre showed this carried through.

This still didn't get me anywhere near the actual tyre profile the images showed it was quite detailed.

So off to GRABCAD I went. (A very useful resource of free 3D models but you do have to register) where I found a model of a tyre. I can provide a link if required...

52081074793_8b294d6da3_w.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a smaller wheel of similar design that I pillaged for the rim detail.

Next Post I'll outline how I schemed the parts up, but below is a quick spoiler.....

Spoiler

52081076471_d1ee44f274_z.jpg

All the Best 

David

• Like 1

So the first thing i do is upload an image into autocad - you can use fusion to do the same.

I then set about scaling the image to a 1: 1 representation. On this project for me this made sense as I have designed disc bells and centre locks so I was able to roughly gauge along with the rim and tyre OD to make a educated guess.

I achieve this by drawing a number of circles to generate a nominal centre position, even the best photos are not likely to be completely square on, taking some measurements and then calculate the scaling factor for the photo.

Once scaled I add a few lines to take some measurements - once again this really only gives you a staring point.

52082622240_9beb87ef12_z.jpg

So u can see I have sketched on a few lines ,taken some angle and intersect measurements - the extended lines for the spokes...

Once we have these nominal dims we can start working up our sketches in 3D. I will now revert to the rear wheel as I an unfortunate crash meant I lost some dev work.

Here is the sketch I created, a lot of this is trial and error, but this wheel went a lot quicker than the front. It took about three iterations to get to this point. 

52082650775_d3627e4421_z.jpg52081129777_003d102712_z.jpg

The process was to generate a simple 2D file from the 3d model then overlay the designed part over our original layout.

The orange line (just visible) shows us how close we are...(or not). On this iteration I was happy with the result.

52082163661_ceaa22186c_z.jpg

We are now able to create the final wheel.

KR 

David

• Like 1

So as promised...

Using another model of an OZ Ultraleggera rim from GRAB cad i Created a profile  to revolve..

52083224338_7a9bdf6cdd_z.jpg

I only used the outside profile, the spoke profile is created by my MK1 eyeball and  reference to the images on ROFGO. 

I then did a complete revolve to create this solid. For reference the dotted line is one of the datum planes

52083748255_ccb026bdec_z.jpg

Recreating my sketch  from before using the datum plane, you'll notice some difference in the dims if u look closely - this is the final iteration. 

52083272778_70671eb2aa_z.jpg

Then doing an extrude too (the highlighted) face i cut away the spokes

52083493959_f4d1e75071_z.jpg

The random 320 circle on the sketch allows me to generate a second extrusion to clear away the rest of the material. After cleaning up added the fillets to the ribs using a variable ratio fillet as well as the through holes.

Our final profile looks like this

52082220322_cae1ef0b76_z.jpg

I then dumped into fusion to complete a render.

52079987896_04e8d67e1d_z.jpg

I did do a quick test print, but if anyone is interested I will show how I created the complete assembly...

An image of the front wheel with a rear tyre... don't ask compared to the Airfix...

Spoiler

52082257847_7c1138c5b6_z.jpgPhoto taken in dodgy light with iphone 5s will try and get some better images.. spokes approx. 0.3mm

• Like 4

Hi Sabrejet,

I have no clue. Would it be possible to post an image please.

The article in Racecar Engineering stated the wheels were designed specially for the car - unlikely two sets of tooling were generated for a run of 17 chassis. 

The tool may have been moved if it was Aston owned. Will do a bit more digging.

KR

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finishing the Airfix 1/32 mini and the wheels are similar to the DBR9 (which I’ll probably start sometime this year). Nice kits overall but the wheels are a major letdown and a pain to make look decent.

Nice to see 3D printing opening up a new world of possibilities for accuracy and quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

David,

Apologies for the delay: I hope these help!

Img_6643

IMG_6644

IMG_6645

IMG_6646

IMG_6647

IMG_6648

IMG_6649

Img_6650

Img_6651

IMG_6652

IMG_6654

IMG_6656

IMG_6657

Img_6658

Absolutely incredible , thank you so much.

Can I ask how and why you have a wheel?

All the Best

David

My son bought them for a father's day present a few years ago. They were advertised as being AMR-One but the advertiser said they were more likely to be DBR9 items. And yes I had two - I sold one and kept the best version. I have to admit I haven't done any research past that.

1 hour ago, BluesModeller said:

Just finishing the Airfix 1/32 mini and the wheels are similar to the DBR9 (which I’ll probably start sometime this year). Nice kits overall but the wheels are a major letdown and a pain to make look decent.

Nice to see 3D printing opening up a new world of possibilities for accuracy and quality.

There is some great work being done on this site. @Fritag hawks are really showing what can be achieved.

Been distracted by a push bike rebuild and summer league hockey - so not much done .

Love that flame finish on your guitar btw.

All the best

David

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

My son bought them for a father's day present a few years ago. They were advertised as being AMR-One but the advertiser said they were more likely to be DBR9 items. And yes I had two - I sold one and kept the best version. I have to admit I haven't done any research past that.

Super cool whatever they are from, and the info about profile and the valve is all super useful.

Thanks again

On 5/18/2022 at 11:44 PM, albertross said:

but if anyone is interested I will show how I created the complete assembly...

I am David.

Not in your league - but trying hard and enjoying the learning.