Question's about Dutch Hurricanes and decal's.

Does anyone know if this is accurate I just found these decals in a pile of decals I inherited last year. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363509409948?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=363509409948&targetid=1263104806246&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=9021610&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1263104806246&abcId=9300678&merchantid=6359234&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3LHZ8MLn9wIVhxfUAR0B8Ae8EAQYByABEgLL-_D_BwE

The decal set has markings for a Hurricane Tropical IIb in Dutch markings used in the SWP Theatre. I was always under the impression the Dutch only received Mk.I’s and those were fabric winged and only in Europe ? I was also under the impression no hurricanes served in the theatre except for a single Mk.I trop that was tested in Australia ? 

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The decal set has markings for a Hurricane Tropical IIb in Dutch markings used in the SWP Theatre.

No photos  with the marking, but they had Hurricanes,  in Java, the markings are best guess.

I was always under the impression the Dutch only received Mk.I’s and those were fabric winged and only in Europe ?

You are thinking of Belgium.   

I was also under the impression no hurricanes served in the theatre except for a single Mk.I trop that was tested in Australia ? 

It's not the SWPA

Kitsworld are not noted for their research.

HTH

• Thanks 1

The Hurricane was used extensively in the Far East from the MK1 through to the Mk.IV as you probably know, although I'm not sure if this the same as your reference to the SWP  theatre? The Aussie Hurricane you refer to is/was V7476,  a tropicalised Mk., 1 according to the Francis K Mason book on the subject.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You're correct of course somehow I was remembering Belgium.

Well my Dutch mate said a Dutch joke is to refer to the Belgians as "the spare Dutch"...  

though Charles de Gaulle said that "Belgium is a country invented by the British to annoy the French"

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Charles-de-Gaulle-think-that-Belgium-is-a-country-invented-by-the-British-to-annoy-the-French

Apologies to any of a Belgian members,  no insult intended. 

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So is that considered South east Asia if not South west Pacific ? I guess my definition of the theatre is different than the official boundary. 

I don't know what the definition was,  maybe it it was east or west of Australia.   Map of the area in 1939

765px-Pacific_Area_-_The_Imperial_Powers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Well my Dutch mate said a Dutch joke is to refer to the Belgians as "the spare Dutch"...  

though Charles de Gaulle said that "Belgium is a country invented by the British to annoy the French"

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Charles-de-Gaulle-think-that-Belgium-is-a-country-invented-by-the-British-to-annoy-the-French

Apologies to any of a Belgian members,  no insult intended. 

I don't know what the definition was,  maybe it it was east or west of Australia.   Map of the area in 1939

765px-Pacific_Area_-_The_Imperial_Powers

Right or wrong my definition and somewhat along the lines of what I was taught. It always was the Western Pacific Theatre was north of the equator, West of Hawaii. SWPA was south of the Equator north of Australia including all the islands if NEI. Then Australia was either its own theatre or a sub-part of SWP. SEAC covered India, Burma, the former French Indochina and the Eastern half of the Indian ocean. The Western portion would fall to the SWA/Mid-east/East African zone. Im probably way off but thats how I understood it. 

• Like 1

Sounds more than sensible to me in terms of a definition but in terms of where Hurricanes operated they were in the areas I've mentioned so not sure how this aligns with them being used by the Dutch. The Dutch did operate some P40's at the time in joint ops with the RAF in/around Sumatra and this combined force was based for a period at Palembang airstrip before it had to be evacuated.

HTH.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

The Ml-KNIL received twelve Mk. IIB's (one was a former Mk. IIA converted to a IIB).  The serials were Z5609, Z5612, Z 5619, Z5622, Z5683, BE225, BE293, BE333, BE363, BG677, BG743, DG614.  Dark Earth/Dark Green but the undersurfaces described as gray.  The aircraft were assigned to 2-Vl.G.IV.  Although several flights were made, the only positive action involved strafing invasion barges - otherwise, the Hurricanes were too heavily outnumbered, and the crews (both air and ground) too hastily trained.  Markings involved overpainting the RAF markings with green paint and painting orange triangles on the fuselage sides and under the wings (no upper wing markings).  by the end of February, the orange triangle was abandoned and replaced with the red-white-blue Netherlands flag; the fuselage flag was apparently placed further to the rear nearer to the RAF serial.  All the above from Dr. Peter Boer's great book, Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies Army Air Corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

The Ml-KNIL received twelve Mk. IIB's (one was a former Mk. IIA converted to a IIB).  The serials were Z5609, Z5612, Z 5619, Z5622, Z5683, BE225, BE293, BE333, BE363, BG677, BG743, DG614.  Dark Earth/Dark Green but the undersurfaces described as gray.  The aircraft were assigned to 2-Vl.G.IV.  Although several flights were made, the only positive action involved strafing invasion barges - otherwise, the Hurricanes were too heavily outnumbered, and the crews (both air and ground) too hastily trained.  Markings involved overpainting the RAF markings with green paint and painting orange triangles on the fuselage sides and under the wings (no upper wing markings).  by the end of February, the orange triangle was abandoned and replaced with the red-white-blue Netherlands flag; the fuselage flag was apparently placed further to the rear nearer to the RAF serial.  All the above from Dr. Peter Boer's great book, Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies Army Air Corps.

Thank you that helps a bit, Im learning a bit here that I never knew before. Now I just need to pick up two IIb’s. I have these and an RAF desert air force set of decals Id live to do. 

https://thejavagoldblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/dutch-hurricanes-too-few-too-late/

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=640:hawker-hurricane-ii-uk&catid=89&lang=en&Itemid=551&showall=1&limitstart=

To quote Peter Boer,
Hurricanes shipped from Takoradi on Athene, operation Churn, aircraft loaded at Takoradi, Gold Coast (western Africa) from early 01.42 and sailed 05.01.42. All ac Mark IIBs administratively reallocated from Middle East to India on 8 January 1942, all shipped with outer wings off, batteries and some smaller items in boxes and drained of all fluids. Apart from the first four reassembled by RAF personnel at Kemajoran, Java, all reassembled by the ML/KNIL in the outskirts of Batavia and at Kemajoran airfield, Java.

Z5609 exp to Takoradi 23.10.41, India 08.01.42, arr. Tjililitan 15.02.42, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL (in exchange for BE332)
Z5612 exp to Takoradi 04.11.41, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL
Z5619 exp to Takoradi 28.10.41, India 08.01.42, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
Z5622 exp to Takoradi 28.10.41, India 08.01.42, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
Z5683 exp to Takoradi 18.11.41, India 08.01.42, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL (in exchange for Z5616).
BE225 exp to Takoradi 18.11.41, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
BE293 exp to Takoradi 17.11.41, arr. Tjililitan 14.02.42, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL
BE333 exp to Takoradi 04.11.41, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
BE363 exp to Takoradi 28.10.41, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
BG677 exp to Takoradi 04.11.41, 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
BG743 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.
DG614 (ex Mark IA P3068 modified to IIA. subsequently modified to IIB) 15.02.42 to ML/KNIL.

Athene carried a total of 39 Hurricanes.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1417315 Chapter 24, pages 472 and 473 for map and description of South West Pacific Area in 1942.

• Thanks 2