Boeing Vertol BV234 Chinook G-BISP

13 minutes ago, perdu said:

I have been keeping pace with certain vinyl cutter equipment on the eBay platform

This discouraging news is removing Cricut from my possible possibilities

The machine itself is pretty good actually. It's just the software which I find annoying. It is at its best when you have as little as possible to do with it. It is perfectly happy importing SVG files though so you can happily carry on using Inkscape as the source of your graphics. For really tiny markings cut from vinyl, the Cricut Maker probably isn't best - but it can cut hard materials. I cut 1/72 scale USAF stars and bars from Oramask for my recent HC-130P which were roughly 1/2 inch wide - and that was about the limits of the Cricut Maker. If it's really small stuff you want to cut then I believe the Portraits are probably better suited.

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

. If it's really small stuff you want to cut then I believe the Portraits are probably better suited.

Thanks Jamie, noted.

I received a lovely gift in the post from @perdu of three micrometers. I'm a 41 year old whippersnapper so was never taught Imperial measurements in school, however, I have built many flying models from balsa and ply from sets of plans drawn by people of previous generations, so as luck would have it I'm quite happy using both Metric and Imperial. Woohoo.

The 300mm rods arrived, and they're not 3mm diameter as sold. They're actually not even 1/8th inch as equivalenced on the listings.

Image32.jpg[/img]

Some work on the belt sander and lots of measuring has the bearings slipping on. This is very time consuming though so it's not finished yet. I'll finish reducing these rods down soon though :)

Image33.jpg[/img]

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. I need to get back on this and hope to return this weekend. I've been preoccupied with work again sadly. I'm now a leading industry expert* in electrification of offshore oil and gas facilities and did my second conference talk today which needs a fair bit of prep in the evenings.

*tongue firmly in cheek - just trying to not look like a fool!

• Like 2

As an "industry expert" from a very different industry may I counsel you with regards to the rod in use here Jamie?

I hope you said OK...

When the rod is cut, invariably slightly off-centre, take the rod end to a sanding wheel or the like and gently rotate the cut end said rod at 45º to give a relief onto the thing before you feed it into the bearing.

That will allow easy feeding into the bearing hub and if you need to fit and locate a drop of Loctite bearing fix will hold the rod to the bearing exactly where you want it.

Loctite is a chemically engineered cyanoacrylate which comes in various grades depending on the application and can be invaluable when you need to say "there and no-where else" to a fitment.

13 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

electrification of offshore oil and gas facilities

This sounds an awesome task, wow.

Blimey why am I doing this when you already know?  Sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 2:29 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

... knowing that pen marks seem to vanish instantly that a cutting tool is brought on-scene

Thanks for yet another Jamie truism! I l nearly cried with relief when I read that - it's so reassuring to know that I'm not the only one to experience this...

Very interesting stuff.

I have always wanted to do a Huey dropping troops in 'Nam but doing it in 72nd scale is probably too much for me.  I am off to read about the Huey and Jolly Green.

• 4 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, hendie said:

Or... could you just use thick clear polystyrene sheet to begin with, mask the windows, and forget all about the laminating?    I always find that it's next to impossible to get a nice flat surface when laminating large areas.

Having experimented a bit, I need to concede to @hendie's advice here and this is the thing I've tried which has worked the best. I'm now using 2mm clear plastic which has been partially cut to outline the windows.

Image34.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...