Battle of Britain Dornier Do 17Z

I have never built a Do 17.  As a callow youth I built the Airfix Do 217, but never a Do 17.  So let's put that right.

This will be a straightforward build of the new tool Airfix kit using decals from Xtradecal.

spacer.png

I think the Eduard mask set is essential...

spacer.png

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Which scheme are you going for?

F1+ET of 9./KG76.  Basically because it has a yellow ID letter and fuselage band to add a bit of colour.  :)   I did fancy building one with formation markings but I'm not convinced by the pink markings on the Xtradecal sheet.  

• Like 1

A decent call there. I've also just clocked the code on the desert option, somewhat of a different meaning these days :whistle:

James

• Haha 2

The first thing that struck me on opening the box is that the Do17 is not a big aircraft.  i was always under the impression that it was a medium bomber, similar in size to the Heinkel HE111 and Vickers Wellington.    Not so.  It is barely bigger than a Beaufighter! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Speaking of the Wellington, this kit reminds me of the Airfix Wellington I built in the Bombers GB.  The interior is just as intricate and complete as the previous kit.  If someone had told me, thirty years ago, that Airfix would be producing kits of thos finesse and complexity then I would have laughed at them. 

However, just a word of caution.  The fuselage halves at the nose are quite flimsy and look a little warped. This will require care in assembly. 

• Like 7

Hi Enzo,

Like you I was dubious about the pink formation marks - I know Xtradecal do say that they may be wrong, but I have to ask why in that case they did not provide alternative white ones? As to size, it struck me too - in fact in many respects it is about the same as a Blenheim, and in the Do-17E it had fairly similar payload and speed but maybe longer range. By the time it got to the Z model the payload had of course doubled.

Pete

• Like 2

This kit doesn't believe in bringing the modeller in gently.  Oh no!  Straight in at the deep end!  :lol: 

I was rigfht about the fuselage halves being tricky. They are definitely warped.  However...   the engineering of the kit effectively cancels out any warpage. The two wing spars hold the centre fuselage quite rigid and there are three parts which form the rear of the cockpit.  It is easy to position them and they force the fuselage halves to sit in the correct orientation.  Just don't build the fuselage all in one go.  Assemble the rear half first and work forwards.

The weapons bay areas were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-504 RLM 02.  The cockpit areas were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-133 RLM 66.   Convenional wisdom says that cockpits of this era should be RLM 02 but that doesn't seem to apply to the Do 17Z.

spacer.png

The cockpit area in cruel close up!  The seat harnesses are from Eduard.

spacer.png

Work forwards carefully and eventually - with a little care - everything falls into place. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looking good Enzo. I believe this kit is being reissued later this year, shame it's too late for this GB

Maybe we'll have the Luftwaffe Twins GB in 2023 :wicked:

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, vppelt68 said:

Maybe we'll have the Luftwaffe Twins GB in 2023 :wicked:

Sounds good to me. As a matter of interest would the He-177 Greif be classed as a twin?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Next step is to build the wing.  The top surface goes on first and to my surprise fits perfectly!  :wow: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wing lowersurfaces just serve to add more structural integrity leading to a quite robust model.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Then comes the scary bit!  Fitting the transparencies!

I have added the guns at this point but fully expect to lose the barrels during the rest of the build.

spacer.png 

Once fitted, the transparencies need to be masked.  I strongly recommend using the Eduard masking set.  Masking from scratch is the road to madness!  The Eduard set greatly eases the process which took me about two hours in total, but even so you can see where I have added Tamiya tape to make up for where the mask does not quite reach the top of the side windows.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have also masked off the bomb bay and flap interiors.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The splinter scheme was the masked.

spacer.png

And the RLM71 areas sprayed with Lifecolor UA-501.  This is a very low contrast scheme and I have had problems with it before, having to use a lighter green for the RLM 71 in order to ensure the pattern shows up.  However, I think the Lifecolor pair work well.

spacer.png

The lowersurfaces were masked and sprayed with Lifecolor UA-503, which you can't see here...   :wall:  The fins were added and the model was then sprayed with clear lacquer ready for the decals.

spacer.png

Decals applied.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

And we're finished!  :yahoo:  I have thoroughly enjoyed building this one.  It is very detailed but the fuselage halves are quite flimsy.  However, a modicum of care and attention when assembling should avoid any problems.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8