Hawk Classics Beach Bunny as Surfer Girl

don f

Finally, I've had the time and motivation to get back to model building. Whilst waiting for paint to cure on a couple of projects, I decided to dig out my Hawk Classics Beach Bunny. Another fun build as a companion to my previous Silly Surfer.

20220515-220810.jpg

Keeping with the surfer theme, the Beach Bunny is being built as less Beach Bunny and more a Surfer Girl. I had originally considered modifying the head by removing the hair and sculpting a wind blown hairdo. Too avoid all the required work, I settled for repositioning the right arm and abandoning all the kit extras. Here's the preliminary pose. The right hand has been cut apart and made into a shaka.  The right arm was lengthened a little.

20220517-120826.jpg

More to follow as the model progresses.

Don

P. S. - Here's the inspiration.

20220515-154213.jpg

• Like 3

First primer coat.

20220520-104722.jpg

Sanded and putty applied. The seam joining left arm and board will be a little difficult. The arm segments are different diameters. I'll likely remove the gap after the base, figure and board are painted.

20220525-114457.jpg

20220525-114548.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The base, board and figure were sanded.  A small piece of Apoxie Sculpt was rolled out into a thin sheet.  This sheet was applied over the bikini top to form the upper part of the rash guard.

Rash-Guard-Bikini-Top-Covered.jpg

The fit of the surf board in the base was not good.  To fix this, Bare Metal Foil was applied to the bottom of the surf board.  The figure and board were mounted temporarily to the base.  A mix of CA and free flow dental repair resin was applied around the opening.

Base-Board-Fill-1.jpg

Base-Board-Fill-2.jpg

After curing, the board was removed, the foil acting as a release agent, and the area sanded.  Now, the opening exactly matches the board profile.  Quick and easy.

Base-Board-Fit-Sanded.jpg

Base-Board-Fit.jpg

The figure and and base  were primed.

Sanded-and-Rash-Guard-Primed.jpg

The primer coat revealed a number of areas that required more attention.  These were filled and sanded.  Additional Apoxie Sculpt was used to add details to the hair and to install the right arm.  The dark lines are gloss paint stripes applied to help visualize the layout and color separations of the white and black rash guard.  The slightly raised lines of cured paint also provide faint ridges that will represent the seams of the garment.

Shaka-Installed-Filled-Sanded-Front.jpg

Shaka-Installed-FIlled-and-Sanded-Back.j

The final primer coat.  After this cures for a few days, let the painting begin.

Final-primer-coat-1.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

An update showing a big mistake that I made.  Hot pink nail polish was readily available for use on the figure. So, I gave it a try. The nail polished thinned with lacquer thinner and MIBK sprayed ok.  Unfortunately, the nail polish had poor adhesion and low hiding power. Rework to remove the polish was started.

Hot-pink-nail-polish-mistake.jpg

At least I finished the base and board.

Hot-pink-nail-polish-board-base.jpg

Reprimed. After the primer cures for a few days. The more rework will start.

Don

Hot-pink-reprime.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Ratch said:

Why are you using nail varnish?

I have seen a few model car builders use nail polish as a finish coat with outstanding results. I tried it and failed.  I'll mix my own hot pink.

Don

• Like 1