English Electric Lightning colour

Hello, I believe 2 RSAF machines were camouflaged in the 70's for trials but the weight of the paint supposedly affected the performance so they were eventually put back to NMF, I've seen the pictures and the scheme looks pretty cool . I remember one had a light blueish ( Duck egg blue?) Undersides and the other wrap around camo. 

Cheers Glenn

Edited by GlennP2

46 minutes ago, GlennP2 said:

Hello, I believe 2 RSAF machines were camouflaged in the 70's for trials but the weight of the paint supposedly affected the performance so they were eventually put back to NMF, I've seen the pictures and the scheme looks pretty cool . I remember one had a light blueish ( Duck egg blue?) Undersides and the other wrap around camo. 

Cheers Glenn

Since this is your first post, let me first say welcome to the forum ! I'm sure you'll enjoy this place

regarding the excessive weight reason, I have heard this explanation before but I've always found this hard to believe. Paint once cured is not that heavy and an aircraft with the kind of power of the Lightning would have had no problem carrying around the 20-30 kg of paint needed for an aircraft of that size.

Drag may be a more serious concern but we have to assume that paint was applied in a very "unprofessional" way to have a serious effect on drag. Afterall the RAF flew camouflaged Lightnings for many years and they never complained about any reduction in performance

In any case both schemes would make for very interesting modeling subjects !