Egg-15J

Col.

The need for a mojo-restoring fun project has been answered by me picking up this kit from my local model shop

2022-05-09_05-46-40

Not a huge amount of parts in the wee box but enough to have some fun with

2022-05-09_05-47-34

An initial fondling of the main parts left me with the impression this kit is designed to go together without glue if one wishes. Then, suddenly, this had happened :blush:

2022-05-14_07-58-55

As you can see my complete inability to simply build a kit out of the box has evidenced itself again and one of the intakes had its face removed to give more depth :rolleyes:

There's an instrument panel provided on the decal sheet but it's too tall for the cockpit so of course I had to cut the panel back and extend it to clear the pilot figure's facemask then make a combing and start creating a HUD along with a headbox for the seat

2022-05-16_07-43-09

All the cockpit area now needs a paint before the instrument panel decal and pilot figure can be fitted but so far the project has been quite relaxing :D 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

'Pit painted, HUD made and fitted, pilot installed

2022-05-18_05-20-52

I can now egg-xit that area and get the canopy on.

• Like 3

Plated over the undercarriage sockets as want to pose this one frying, oops, I mean flying 

2022-05-19_04-24-09

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It's eggxactly the the type of Mojo restoring build you need........ until you can't help yourself and you start modifying bits!!! 🤣

These are always fun to see in builds, so nice to have one here.

Would you like me to scan the digital scheme version I have, would look great on this!! :D

Well good luck with the build, hope the Mojo gets a good boost as I'd hate for you to get egg on your face!!! :rofl2:

....... you do know these egg jokes won't stop......

• Haha 1

Haha cheers @trickyrich it's good to see you back after laying low for a while.

Life is keeping me far too busy at the moment due to everyone running about like headless chickens at work but hopefully I can find some time to get this one rolling again and avoid being in a flap  having to scramble about as the deadline comes home to roost.

• Haha 1

Here you go gang, a wee bit more done

2022-05-31_07-50-17

A first lick of paint on the canopy frames and exhausts.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Paint progress. Alclad's Semi Matt Aluminium for the back end has been masked off and some Humbrol Hu128 on the upper surfaces to represent the darker of the two greys

2022-06-11_12-35-19

A wee polish up to remove some 'orange peel' and another masking session lies ahead next.

• Like 4

Most photos of JASDF F-15J and DJ show them carrying a couple of wing mounted fuel tanks. Sadly none are included in the kit so I had a hunt through the spares box

2022-06-13_07-49-37

Think these are from the old Revell 32nd scale Hawker Typhoon kit. A bit of butchery later got me to here

2022-06-15_06-57-02

Also trimmed off one missile from each set of twin rails and the fins from the remaining missiles to better represent the training rounds often carried.

Getting close to the painting stage again.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hope none of you are getting too eggsasperated at my slow progress but the final colours have at last been laid down

2022-06-27_10-14-24

As you perhaps don't need eggsplaned I've decided to go for a mock 'Aggressor' type scheme for this one. Yes, that's correct, it's an eggressor :D 

I have micromesh'd off the overspray after this photo was taken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tojo72 said:

Love those things,along with the Toon Tanks

This one is certainly proving to be good fun :) 

A little more progress to keep this one simmering along. In order for this one to be an eggressor it needs to be from the 'Cobra' squadron, appropriate given that snakes lay eggs, therefore I had to create the badge carried on both side of the twin fins

2022-07-02_08-56-02

Also had a play about with the kit missiles to fake up the acquisition training rounds commonly worn by the aggressor squadron.

• Like 3

Am I the first to say that your skill level is egg-cellent!  That's no yolk...🤣  How much did you shell out for this kit?  I know, I know...you seem like a real hard-boiled modeller...so sorry...I didn't mean to poach the thread...😉

• Haha 3