I'm a bit surprised to see that there is only one Skyhawk in this GB so far.  So let me throw my hat into the ring and add another one.

spacer.png

The kit provides an option for an Argentine naval Skyhawk but I shall be building this using the Xtradecal sheet 72154 to represent an aircraft of the Argentine air force.   C-212 was an A-4P (an ugraded A-4B) of Grupo 5 de Caza based at Rio Gallegos in May 1982.  On 25 May it took part in the attack on HMS Coventry.  The aircraft has a disruptive camouflage scheme with yellow tactical markings.  These markings were found to compromise the camouflage and were removed from the uppersurfaces later in the war. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have built a number of these kits in the past.  It goes together nicely.  However, the parts need care when removing from the sprues as some of the moulding gates are very thick indeed!

• Like 4

The cockpit features decals for the instrument panels and consoles.  Adequate in this scale,  The jet pipe provides a nice bit of depth while the intake trunking assembly prevents any chance of see-through.

spacer.png

Despite the diminutive size of the model, there is actually plenty of room for ballast.

spacer.png

And it builds up quickly.  Airfix have provided the dorsal fairing for the A-4P variant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

All masked up and primed with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

It seems that no one has accurate colour matches for Argentinian Skyhawks, so basically anything goes.  I used Xtracrylic XA1002 Dark Earth.

spacer.png

The distruptive pattern is masked using my usual technique of Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

I then got carried away in all the excitement and forgot to take pictures of the rest of the painting. :wall:  

The camouflage pattern was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-206 RAL6003 Olivgrun.   The underside (which you can't see in this shot!) is Lifecolor UA-061 Hellblau.   The tactical makings were sprayed from a rattle can with Fiat Golden Yellow.  Airbrake and slat interiors also came from a rattle can, this time Vauxhall Power Red.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...