Grumman Martlet IV

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's rather nice, and the fact it's brush painted is something I'd never have guessed. Very nice work.

Thanks Jamie, I love the painting part of the build, so many effects can be achieved, although I can never pre shade, only post shade, but it seems to work out.

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Colin -

Amazing model and the quality of your brush painting on this one is particulary fine to the point that it really looks as though an airbrush has been used ...........

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, very kind of you indeed.  I do love using a brush. I do sometimes wish I could use an airbrush, but I am too set in my ways now to change, plus I couldn't afford all the equipment too!!!

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

Nice job and that brush work is very effective. Particularly like the folded/unfolded presentation and the faded, chalky finish.

Thanks Maginot, the post shading does wonders along with the oil wash, I think the black backround has helped too, I am covering my home made photo booth in black card now.

1 hour ago, Johnny Tip said:

wonderful, well done chris. 

(I was sure you knew a Wildcat from a Martlet.) 

Thanks Johnny, yes of course fella 😄😉  

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Cracking li'l Martlet Chris! Very nice indeed!😀

Thanks Mark  bery kind fella,  very pleased with it.  Sorry for my late acknowledgement,  I hadn't realised ot has gone to two pages.

Thanks

Chris

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mark  bery kind fella,  very pleased with it.  Sorry for my late acknowledgement,  I hadn't realised ot has gone to two pages.

Thanks

Chris

It’s no problem😉, you have always given great feedback on my models and build’s, it’s good to return the compliment.😁

• Thanks 1

Superb rendering of iconic subject.

Do you mind me asking (as a brush painter) how you achieved the faded edges between the colours on the upper surfaces? 

All the best 

Peter 

• Thanks 1

Wonderful build!

Nice done!

Congretulation!

One suggestion: Build two models with folded wings! One folded and one unfolded.

Looks better. Saw this in some works in Japan. Like Intruder, two models, Corsair two models.

Always same squadron, different marking.

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Superb rendering of iconic subject.

Do you mind me asking (as a brush painter) how you achieved the faded edges between the colours on the upper surfaces? 

All the best 

Peter 

Hi Peter

Thanks very much, the way I do it is the paint your lighter colour first all over and then once complete ( I thin the enamels and usually takes 3 coats ).  Once this is dry , at least 24 hours,  I then get the contrasting colour and don't thin it, and get a small amount on an older small ish brush that is past its best, paint just inside of the line you want to take, don't go to far at once and then when it starts to dry off go back to where you started and lightly scrutiny  the brush side to side and small circular motions along the line and you will see the faded edge start to appear once you have completed the outlines of the pattern you can then fill in between the edges with the thinned paint.  It takes a bit of practice but you will be well chuffed with your results , practice on a paint mule first though.  Hope this helps .

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

Very nice 👍

Thanks Roberto

2 hours ago, dov said:

Wonderful build!

Nice done!

Congretulation!

One suggestion: Build two models with folded wings! One folded and one unfolded.

Looks better. Saw this in some works in Japan. Like Intruder, two models, Corsair two models.

Always same squadron, different marking.

Happy modelling

Thanks Dov, that's a good idea, although SWMBO might not be chuffed with me buying two of each model😄😉.

I do like it though and thanks for your kind comments. 

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Cracking build Chris:thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks guys

Chris

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Peter

Thanks very much, the way I do it is the paint your lighter colour first all over and then once complete ( I thin the enamels and usually takes 3 coats ).  Once this is dry , at least 24 hours,  I then get the contrasting colour and don't thin it, and get a small amount on an older small ish brush that is past its best, paint just inside of the line you want to take, don't go to far at once and then when it starts to dry off go back to where you started and lightly scrutiny  the brush side to side and small circular motions along the line and you will see the faded edge start to appear once you have completed the outlines of the pattern you can then fill in between the edges with the thinned paint.  It takes a bit of practice but you will be well chuffed with your results , practice on a paint mule first though.  Hope this helps .

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the tip.  I have an old half built Airfix Spitfire my youngest son abandoned that I'll try this out on.

All the best 

Peter 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

What an absolute beauty, Chris, she's a stunner! I can only echo what everyone else has already said: I'm in awe of the finish!

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark, really kind fella,  pleased with it it's a cracking kit. 

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 1:32 PM, Winenut said:

Brush painted?

you are kidding aren't you 🤣

Absolutely crackin' build and finish

Well done indeed

😄 Thanks Winenut  very pleased with how it turned out.

20 minutes ago, russ c said:

Really nice Martlet there, great job

Thanks Russ, pleased with it  it's a cracking kit.

Thanks guys

Chris

What a smashing little kit Chris. I've just finished reading Norman Hansons 'Carrier Pilot', which I couldn't put down. I know you're well up on your FAA gen so probably more than familiar with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a superb job with your brush painting. I would have been none the wiser it's that good. 

Spent many years toiling with layering up paint with the brush & trying my hardest not to get brush lines that I gave in & went with the airbrush. Neat looking kit as well, love our FAA aircraft.

Martin

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

What a smashing little kit Chris. I've just finished reading Norman Hansons 'Carrier Pilot', which I couldn't put down. I know you're well up on your FAA gen so probably more than familiar with it.

Thanks Mike, very kind and is a lovely kit.   I am not aware of the book  I have never been a great one to read a book, i mainly look at the pics, just too little time and too many kits 😉

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

That's a superb job with your brush painting. I would have been none the wiser it's that good. 

Spent many years toiling with layering up paint with the brush & trying my hardest not to get brush lines that I gave in & went with the airbrush. Neat looking kit as well, love our FAA aircraft.

Martin

Thanks Martin,  really kind.  I always shied away from certain types that I thought would be hassle, like all over silver aircraft and always did hard edge camo, but one day it all seemed to fall into place and realised I could fo soft edge camo, what a boon that was.

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Very nice indeed. The asymetric wing fold is a great idea for showing off the different operational  states of the aircraft.:like:

Pete

Thanks Pete, yes I saw it in  here and thought it was a good idea so gave it a go, got a Mk.V that I will fold the stb wing so they can sit closer together.

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 1

Smashing work on the Airfix Wildcat ..sorry Martlet.

Its quite a complex kit for the size but goes well together.

• Thanks 1