Grumman Martlet IV

Hi all

Been working on this little beauty from Airfix,  what a cracking little kit.  Built OOB apart from the seat harness.

Brush painted with Humbrol and Colourcoats enamels and weathered with oils and pastels.

A really enjoyable kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to those who offered support and encouragement during the build.

Chris

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Very nice! Great paintwork. I just love FAA Martlets.

On thing to note, if you build another, is that Airfix originally screwed up the nose and cowl when they were designing this kit. This is why there are extra unused parts in the Martlet issue. In point of fact, the unused parts are not correct for any variant of Wildcat/Martlet. The Cyclone engine in the Martlet IV is a 9-cylinder single row radial; a much shorter engine than the double row 14-cylinder Twin Wasp in the F4F-4. Grumman had move the firewall forward to keep the C.G. within limits with the Cyclone engine and this results in a longer fuselage but shorter cowl. Airfix originally did not catch this and their solution was the forward fuselage extension. This results in a panel line between the cowl and the wing leading edge that should not be there. This can be seen in the image below, which, I think, is from the same squadron as the aircraft you modelled.

Grumman_Martlet_Mk_IV_FN144_is_warmed_up

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Chris,

Lovely work on the 'surprise' Martlet! I still astonishes me the subtley of dinish you manage to achieve with a brush - superb!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

What a little beaut. Cracking model.

Thanks Gatesy64, very kind , pleased with how it turned out.

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Very nice paintwork.

Thanks Bertie, love the TSS scheme.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Very nice! Great paintwork. I just love FAA Martlets.

On thing to note, if you build another, is that Airfix originally screwed up the nose and cowl when they were designing this kit. This is why there are extra unused parts in the Martlet issue. In point of fact, the unused parts are not correct for any variant of Wildcat/Martlet. The Cyclone engine in the Martlet IV is a 9-cylinder single row radial; a much shorter engine than the double row 14-cylinder Twin Wasp in the F4F-4. Grumman had move the firewall forward to keep the C.G. within limits with the Cyclone engine and this results in a longer fuselage but shorter cowl. Airfix originally did not catch this and their solution was the forward fuselage extension. This results in a panel line between the cowl and the wing leading edge that should not be there. This can be seen in the image below, which, I think, is from the same squadron as the aircraft you modelled.

Grumman_Martlet_Mk_IV_FN144_is_warmed_up

Thanks VMA131Marine, that is really interesting, I thought the extension was odd but didn't realise why, odd thing is I had looked at that image several times and never noticed that, I liked the image as it gave a great image of the undercarriage.   I do have the F4F kit to do as a Mk.V. 

Thanks for the info and compliments too. 

50 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's another stunning build Chris, with yet more amazing paintwork!

Top job again!

Keith

Thanks Keith, you are very kind, the kit goes together very well and was a pleasure to build. Thanks for your support and encouragement during the build

27 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Lovely work on the 'surprise' Martlet! I still astonishes me the subtley of dinish you manage to achieve with a brush - superb!

Cheers,

Roger

Thamks Roger again you are very kind too, yes I just couldn't help myself  when it arrived I was fondling the plastic and just started it!!!  Thanks as always for your support too fella.

Thanks all

Chris

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Jon, pleased with the finish of the scheme.

Chris

Congratulations Chris !!

Obviously, you're right to be pleased with !!

Nothing suit as well as DSG, EDSG and sky !!

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Your Martlet turned out great Chris.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike, very kind of you.

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

excellent work! Always some extra appreciation for a fellow brush painter - I also like the one folded wing!

Thanks Jeff, always good to hear from fellow brush painter, very kind of you too. I never usually fold the wings but tried it on my Sea Venom and thought would do the one wing this time  will do the opposite wing on the Mk.V so they can stand together.

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Cris!

Wonderful great model! Your brush painting skills are better than my airbrush skills! 
Excellent work! 

Andy 

Thanks Andy,  very kind as always, I doubt that my brush work is better, your work is always stunning and your photos are amazing. 

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Congratulations Chris !!

Obviously, you're right to be pleased with !!

Nothing suit as well as DSG, EDSG and sky !!

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, really chuffed with it although I am wondering whether to correct the nose now.  TSS is certainly my favourite scheme.   Thanks fella.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can hardly believe this is brushpainted - my own failure in achieving such a result made me get my first airbrush (and don't get there all the time, even with an airbrush.

Great result! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I can hardly believe this is brushpainted - my own failure in achieving such a result made me get my first airbrush (and don't get there all the time, even with an airbrush.

Great result! 

Thanks Chief Cohiba, very kind,  I am unable to Airbrush myself and so am in awe of you guys that can, I have always worked in a space near to the kids bedrooms so not able to due to the fumes that would be generated.   I do like the painting process and find it therapeutic. 

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

It's been said before but she is a beauty.

A great finish and result Chris.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair very kind, pleased with the results just annoyed that I missed the extra panel line.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all

Been working on this little beauty from Airfix,  what a cracking little kit.  Built OOB apart from the seat harness.

Brush painted with Humbrol and Colourcoats enamels and weathered with oils and pastels.

A really enjoyable kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks to those who offered support and encouragement during the build.

Chris

Nice, I like it.

Alain

• Thanks 1

My first thought was 'that's nicely painted' and then i read your comment that it was brush painted! Great job, I wouldn't even know where to begin to get a result like that!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Nice, I like it.

Alain

Thanks Alain very kind. 

1 hour ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Always happy to salute a great brush painted finish.

I’m exceedingly jealous, but full of admiration!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am always in awe of the finishes that modellers can achieve with airbrushes.  Thanks for your kind comments 

1 hour ago, GRK said:

My first thought was 'that's nicely painted' and then i read your comment that it was brush painted! Great job, I wouldn't even know where to begin to get a result like that!

Thanks GRK, really kind of you.  It's actually not as difficult as you think,  I find it very therapeutic and one of the best bits of a build, sometimes it can be challenging, but once you get the hang of the fading it is all just lightly thinned paint and tsking your time.  It's actually quite relaxing.

Thanks guys

Chris

Colin -

Amazing model and the quality of your brush painting on this one is particulary fine to the point that it really looks as though an airbrush has been used ...........

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1