Humbrol 135 Satin Varnish

Ray S

Hello all, a little guidance is needed please.

I have used Humbrol enamel varnishes ever since about 1970 and rarely had any issues with them, except my inability to use them properly! However, over the last few years I have learnt my lesson and had some cracking results from all three types of varnish that Humbrol produce in the enamel versions.

My very old tin of Satin enamel began to go 'off', becoming very thick, but still produced an acceptable result after thinning with naphtha thinners. Then I went and treated myself to a new tin a couple of weeks ago. I prized the lid off, got out the stirring rod and proceeded to stir. Then I noticed something I had never seen with Humbrol varnish - the clear, treacle-coloured liquid went cloudy and grainy. Undeterred, I stirred and stirred (not until I was sick!) but the cloudiness did not clear. I was trying to complete a kit I had been working on for quite some time, and rather than trust this new Satin varnish on that, I tried it on a gash bit of an old kit. The varnish dried more matt that the Matt varnish ever had!

When stirred for about 10 minutes, I still had this:

DSCN8728

Has anyone else had this problem? I had forgotten that I had already bought a tin recently, so I looked at that one and it is the same! Does anyone know if the formula has changed? In my experience in the past, the Satin and Gloss enamel varnishes always had the look of Golden Treacle, but a bit thinner, even when stirred and this is so different.

Depending on the answers, I will contact Humbrol and ask their advice, but I wanted to do a bit of research first.

Their acrylic Satin seems okay, but it is not as hard-wearing as the enamel.

Thanks for reading this,

Ray

I have obtained set of Humbrol enamel varnishes and they look exactly like that...

It also dries to very yellow tint (think: vegetable oil color), so be aware of that too. My spectrophotometer says:

https://encycolorpedia.com/e7dec4.svg

Don't even ask about matt...

I gave up on Humbrol because of their quality (and availability) issues. Please remember Humbrol enamels need to be reformulated due to EU regulations.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ray,

I ditched Humbrol years ago, after some problems with both varnishes and paints. That's not to say the products are bad, but I've found alternatives that do the job much better. 

So, if you're in the mood to try something different, I can recommend Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylic varnishes. Satin and Matt. For gloss, I tend to use Tamiya or Mr Color.

• Thanks 1

@Casey and @IanC, Thanks both of you for the replies.

I have been using Humbrol paints ever since I can remember (1967 at least) and have got used to them over time. The Authentics were my favourites, but the stuff we get at the moment I can still work with using the naphtha thinner, although I have found their consistency rather 'erratic'. I brush-paint mainly (rattle-can where needed), and I have found that acrylics are more fragile on the model than the enamels, so, when I handle the model it gets marked much more easily.

I have tried the W&N Matt varnish, but did not realise they did a Satin one too, I will see if I can find some and give it a go, and try and be more careful when handling the model.

Thanks both again for your advice.

Ray