AMT 1/25 Corvair as Yenko Stinger

Been looking or one of these for a while, following an article by Jay Leno in a recent Octane and then watching the episode of his Garage featuring the beastie.

kit-o-parts.jpg

This boxing of the kit includes many, if not all, of the optional parts from the various versions offered over the years. There's no mention of Yenko or the Stinger in the instructions, but the essential parts for a Monza or Stinger seem to be present and correct.

mockup-with-sails-1.jpg

mockup-with-sails-rear.jpg

mockup-with-sails-left-profile.jpg

The sail panels that extend the C-pillars and engine cover with spoiler and vents are two key features of the original, and there are "tuned" engine parts and extras for the cabin. Some elements are used in the build option that's described as "Rally" in the instructions, but you really just need to work from references and enjoy discovering how many of the bits you need are already in the box...

nose-ready-for-filler.jpg

One key difference between the '69 body in the box and the earlier 66 body used as the basis of the Stingers is that the later model has a lot more chrome trim. Here I've carved off the front end adornment, preparing for the much simpler, flatter nose of the earlier car.

nose-first-milliput.jpg

Milliput two part epoxy putty to fill the gap, because it's strong and sands really well.

nose-second-milliput.jpg

After first sanding and a bit of additional putty.

corvair-in-rotisserie.jpg

Time to begin work on the chassis as well.

best,

M.

• Like 13

That seems a very comprehensive kit of parts to start with and the moulding looks very good to my eye. Nice choice M I shall follow along with great interest 👍 

It already looks better in plastic than that rather unflattering image on the front of the box, which makes the boot look longer than the bonnet. I'll be watching along with interest.

Thanks, all... I'm surprised how small it is. On a par with the Opel GT in my display case. Part of that is the 1/25 scale vs the usual 1/24, but when I compare it to 1/25 Camaros, Chevelles or Impalas looking for alternative wheels, it's STILL tiny...

best,

M.

• Like 3

Ooh nice, excellent find! I've been watching Matt's Off Road Recovery on Youtube (I have no idea how I came across it, but it was somewhere in the rabbit hole). They converted a '61 Corvair Wagon into a rock crawler / recovery vehicle.... it's awesome. Too bad there's no kit of the wagon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, von Race said:

Ah, cool! I always look on scalemates which doesn't seem to list this one. Nice. I'm guessing the $65 shipped doesn't apply to NL 🙂 

It was released as a Yenko Stinger in '68, so the parts should be there  🙂.   A chap down the road from my parents had two Corvairs in the '70s: a white ragtop and a maroon hardtop.  They seemed quite exotic at the time.  I don't think I've seen even one on the road over here since.

File1-vi.jpg

• Like 3

My dad had two Corvairs in the early 70s, one first-generation Monza convertible and one second-generation 2-door. More recently, I lived for a few years near one of the former Corvair factories, so lots of people brought them to car shows. What amazes me is how different the back end of the second-generation looks depending on the angle. Your side view above really drives that home, especially with the spoiler making that long back deck look even longer. I can't wait to see how your build turns out!

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Moving along....

Body primed with TS-101 Base White. Quite a few rounds of filling, priming,  and sanding to get to this point!

body-ts101.jpg

nose-done-1.jpg

body-engine-in-1.jpg

Happy with how the front end has come out...

engine-trial-2.jpg

engine-trial-1.jpg

Engine is under way, and is pretty well detailed. I think I need to figure out how to mount it higher in the engine bay -- not too much, but right now it looks like it's all hanging under the car. All the pictures I have of the real thing show the exhausts coming out through the rear valance either side of the moulded in grille, but as things are the headers will emerge from under the body...

best,

M.

• Like 9

A fair bit of masking to paint a few bits black! The engine is started, using Citadel Contrast Paint "Black Templar" over Tamiya Grey Primer. It's a bit hard to see here, but it does shadowing, washing and dry-brushing all in one. Lots more detail painting on the engine to be done, but it's a solid starting point.

black-bits-done.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 11

It's been a busy week, but managed to make some progress at least:

stripe-on-1.jpg

stripe-on-2.jpg

stripe-on-3.jpg

Stripe's probably a bit wide (though it varies depending on which car you're basing your build on) but the benefit of using tape sizes you have on hand for masking outweighs the value of strict scale accuracy, IMHO... and this is MY Stinger, not Jay's...

best,

M.

• Like 15

The stripes look great,  plus using the standard tape size means they have fitted in perfectly with the front number plate holder (at least I assume that's what the raised section on the front lower valance is) - Andy 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to a helpful reminder, I added the blue to the lower edge of the body. I'd spotted it in my reference, but forgot to mask for it!

lower-body-blue-1.jpg

lower-body-blue-2.jpg

lower-body-blue-3.jpg

Some progress with painting and detailing the engine:

engine-painted-1.jpg

engine-painted-3.jpg

The aluminium ferrules will become convincing "velocity stacks" I hope...

dash-base.jpg

Not a great picture, but it should be clear that I filled the central dial and replaced it with the four smaller gauges of the Yenko dash, and I've used liquid cement to texture the crackle-black areas around the gauges and glovebox.

Next steps with both the body and interior require breaking out the chrome...

best,

M.

• Like 14

It's coming along rather nicely. I think I would paint that fanbelt pulley a different colour to make it stand out a bit.

I remember seeing a red Corvair down in Devon/Cornwall about eight or nine years ago. The only one I ever saw here.

Wheeler Dealers did a Corvair. Here's a link to part of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YaNdaxlEk

Did you watch the Jay Leno Corvair Rampside? Odd, but nice.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Got the engine wiring squared away, and a few more details:

engine-wired-1.jpg

engine-wired-2.jpg

There's some more to do, but thank goodness I remembered that you're supposed to finish the engine AFTER the main assembly is in place!

chrome-on-1.jpg

chrome-on-2.jpg

Mostly chrome, though if you look carefully you can see that the headlights now have disc lenses punched from pill packaging for the dished effect...

tub.jpg

Tub detailing under way. Need to sort the pedals and shift lever!

engine-in-1.jpg

engine-in-2.jpg

Engine in. It will go in this built up, but requires some careful twisting and fettling to get all the bits together. I think opening a slot to the mounting point at the front of the bay would make things much easier! Time for a coil and some battery cables...

And here we are this evening:

progress-2-Jun-2.jpg

progress-2-Jun.jpg

...not sure how much will get done the next few days, despite the long weekend...we have family visitors on the way!

best,

M.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, detail by detail, but finally got to the point when it's worth mocking up again...

mocked-up-18-jun-1.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-2.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-3.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-4.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-5.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-6.jpg

Definitely need to fix the front track before the wheels go on firmly, and the rears are pretty wobbly as well. Some Yenko decals for the body as well before final clear and polish...

best,

M.

• Like 8