USS Philadelphia (CL-41) in 1945. Niko Model 1/700 - first resin kit

Hello all;

I finally decided to take the plunge, and venture in the brave world of resin kits. The main reason for this decision was, of course, the fact that many ships I'd like to build are only available as resin kits. The subject here is an example: I find the Brooklyn class ships particularly beautiful, and besides this is the only WW II-era cruiser that I've ever seen in person - albeit as a very young kid, with a different name, and in the service of a different navy.

Not finding an injection mould version of this class of ships, I got the 1/700 rendition by Niko model, a Polish company, with the intention of making it my first resin kit. So here is me asking for help: please send your tips for resin newbies, and if you know of a particularly good reference page for beginners, I would also appreciate. Starting with the best way to prepare the surfaces, and the safest way to remove that thin layer of flash between gun barrels, (see images below).

Anyway, as a first step in what hopefully will become a series, this is what I got in the mail:

spacer.png

f6d3b4_e3ba21fd58224ee59f4e9151e6054f1e~

Here are the resin parts. The arrow points to the thin layer of "flash" (does the term apply to resin?) that exists between most parts. Not a big problem where I pointed the arrows because the parts are large, but I worry about removing this between tiny parts, like the twin Bofors barrels.

spacer.png

and the metal parts. The photoetch seems good, and there is plenty of railing.

f6d3b4_babfbed182bd403a8f53834ca37d25b8~

There are only four pages of instructions:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Here are some pictures of the level of detail:

f6d3b4_62f9b248e610461db246a67c273b51dd~spacer.png

And here is my first question: the hull seems nicely molded (at least in comparison with some nightmare resin kits I've seen online), but there is still something to fix near the waterline (arrows below). Any special tips for sanding resin? Can I use the same sanding sticks I use for plastic, or do I need something stronger?

f6d3b4_1916d2f8f0f94a4cb220002842ba7246~

• Like 5

Marcello.
That does look a nice kit.

I’ve built a couple of resin ships, but never in 1/700, and have found them a joy to build.

Trim the flash with a sharp blade, I doubt I need to mention, take your time.

Give all the parts a gentle wash in warm soapy water and then a good rinse and leave to dry a day or so.
Be wary of water being trapped in small nocks and crannies. You might not see it, but the paint will find it.

What paint are you using, if acrylic, you’ll need a good primer base. If enamel, primer might not be so critical. Perhaps do a test on the flat underside of the hull and then do a tape test.

Mount the hull on a temporary base, that way you don’t have to handle it during assembly.

With regards glue......I use three.
5 minute Epoxy two part for larger pieces and perhaps the white metal. CA and an acrylic glue for PE etc. The problem with resin/white metal components, is the glue doesn’t melt the two pieces you are joining, like plastic, so the join is only as strong as the areas that touch.

With regards sanding. 
I use the same sticks or emery as I do with plastic. Wet&Dry is favourable with water as it keeps the dust down, which can be harmful to breathe.

I hope this is of use and would love to see this taking shape.

Jon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention. When attaching any small thin parts whether they be metal, PE or resin. If there is no hole for where they go, drill a VERY shallow one. It will give a much more stable fitting.

Jon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I forgot to mention. When attaching any small thin parts whether they be metal, PE or resin. If there is no hole for where they go, drill a VERY shallow one. It will give a much more stable fitting.

Jon

Thanks, Jon. This is precisely the type of guidance I need. I am a slow builder, so maybe it will take a while, but I hope to make this a good one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Thanks, Jon. This is precisely the type of guidance I need. I am a slow builder, so maybe it will take a while, but I hope to make this a good one.

Also, well worth a wander around this Maritime section, both WIP and RFI. There are some superb builders here.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/05/2022 at 01:53, Faraway said:

Also, well worth a wander around this Maritime section, both WIP and RFI. There are some superb builders here.

Jon

HI Jon, thanks for the advice given more than 1 year ago. Sorry I did not have the discipline to keep the "in progress" thread, but this one is now over the line and can be found in the "ready for inspection" forum.

• Like 2