1/72 Airfix Mustang IV (Freightdog Conversion) "RAF 19.Squadron"

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Airfix P-51D Mustang, converted to RAF standards, using Freightdog resin conversion (FDR72013).

Painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics, photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC4484.jpg

Markings from Xtradecals (X72131), representing an aircraft of RAF 19. Squadron, based in Peterhead, early 1945.

I added metal gear legs from Scale Aircraft Conversions for better stability.

The kit's antenna was covered in flesh, so I replaced it with a piece from my spares box.

a-DSC4486.jpg

a-DSC4487.jpg

a-DSC4488.jpg

a-DSC4490.jpg

a-DSC4491.jpg

Painting the yelow-black stripes on the nose was a challenge, because masking tape does not work well on small diameters.

I had to touch-up the lines by brush.

a-DSC4492.jpg

a-DSC4495.jpg

a-DSC4497.jpg

a-DSC4498.jpg

a-DSC4499.jpg

a-DSC4502.jpg

a-DSC4503.jpg

a-DSC4504.jpg

a-DSC4505.jpg

a-DSC4507.jpg

a-DSC4508.jpg

a-DSC4511.jpg

a-DSC4519.jpg

a-DSC4518.jpg

a-DSC4520.jpg

Thank you for your interest, best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 43

Very nicely done :goodjob:.  However, if I might venture a little feedback: the rear of the canopy dropped as it slid back, so it stayed in contact with the top of the rear fuselage.  There was a runner which fitted the slot aft of said canopy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrUIPs35YlsXmVV-v--OqK-vdRfi3ti_r1mzT_TqtqY8pDBYrN&s

Edited by MikeC

10 hours ago, MikeC said:

Very nicely done :goodjob:.  However, if I might venture a little feedback: the rear of the canopy dropped as it slid back, so it stayed in contact with the top of the rear fuselage.  There was a runner which fitted the slot aft of said canopy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrUIPs35YlsXmVV-v--OqK-vdRfi3ti_r1mzT_TqtqY8pDBYrN&s

Of course you are right, Mike.

Unfortunately this does not work on the Airifx model, as the hood was not designed to be displayed open.

It either lifts in front or at the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Of course you are right, Mike.

Unfortunately this does not work on the Airifx model, as the hood was not designed to be displayed open.

It either lifts in front or at the back.

Ah, I see. [Edit:] I've not built the 1/72 kit so I didn't realise this was the case.

Edited by MikeC

43 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Ah, I see. [Edit:] I've not built the 1/72 kit so I didn't realise this was the case.

I hope that Arma Hobby will adress this issue in their upcoming P-51D kit, providing two sliding hoods - one for the open, one for the closed position.

Just like they did on the P-51B/C.

• Like 1