Eduard Riders in the Sky 1945 Liberator GR Mk VI and GR Mk VIII Coastal Command

Alan W

I have started building this kit, purchased in 2019. It is the first aircraft kit I have attempted with photo etch details, and as such is rather daunting.

However, so far I have managed to piece together much of the cockpit detail. I do have a question though.

In the instructions for attaching the photo etch yokes, it says

ø - 0,5mm

1 - 0,8mm

I presume this means the diameter of the plastic sprue needs to be 1mm, but are they saying the length is 0.5mm, or 5mm? Why the two measurements? is it different for each side? Or an optional placement? Do they seriously expect me to cut something to 0.5mm!?

I've looked at SaminCam's WIP build for a similar kit (different nose) and I think maybe 5mm would look correct.

11 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Diameter - 0.5mm

Length - 0.8mm  (it's an L not a 1)

Dave,

Thanks, but how on earth do you cut something to a length of 0.8mm, let alone handle it!?

Alan

1 hour ago, Alan W said:

Dave,

Thanks, but how on earth do you cut something to a length of 0.8mm, let alone handle it!?

Alan

I would attach the PE the IP then drill a hole all the way through and then you can pull the rod through till you have the right amount sticking out then touch it with some glue, when dry cut of the excess at the back. You can do a similar thing with the trim wheel, PE3, just drill the hole a lot deep than you need then push the rod in till it's where you want it then touch with some glue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I would attach the PE the IP then drill a hole all the way through and then you can pull the rod through till you have the right amount sticking out then touch it with some glue, when dry cut of the excess at the back. You can do a similar thing with the trim wheel, PE3, just drill the hole a lot deep than you need then push the rod in till it's where you want it then touch with some glue.

Thanks Tbolt, that seems to have worked.

I've left the yokes out more than the 0.8mm the instructions suggest, otherwise I don't think the pilots arms would reach them! I'm also undoubtedly doing this wrong and the hard way, not in accordance with the instructions, but I need something more to hold onto with my clumsy hands!

Can't send a photo - Microsoft One Drive have locked me out and I don't have a mobile to receive a text message to unlock!

**** them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan W said:

Thanks Tbolt, that seems to have worked.

I've left the yokes out more than the 0.8mm the instructions suggest, otherwise I don't think the pilots arms would reach them! I'm also undoubtedly doing this wrong and the hard way, not in accordance with the instructions, but I need something more to hold onto with my clumsy hands!

Can't send a photo - Microsoft One Drive have locked me out and I don't have a mobile to receive a text message to unlock!

**** them!

Yes 0.8mm might be too short, I just go by photos rather than instruction figures for things like this.

15552005720_fdacd167f7_b.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Yes 0.8mm might be too short, I just go by photos rather than instruction figures for things like this.

The control yokes slide in and out so the length is variable - push in to dive, pull out to climb. As @Tbolt says, go for what looks right.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The control yokes slide in and out so the length is variable - push in to dive, pull out to climb. As @Tbolt says, go for what looks right.

Of course but this a picture of Witchcraft parked up so the yoke is in the neutral position and unless you are deflecting the elevator for some reason ( eg not parked up with crew in ) this would be correct.

• Like 1

0.5 mm in diameter in 1/72 translates to 36 mm in 1/1; the sliding portion of the yokes looks to me way beefier than that in the picture above. Same with the length, I see perhaps 150-200 mm there, that would be 2-3 mm more or less in 1/72.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for your comments, and tbolt for the piccie of the cockpit.

Fukuryu - that's about the length I've gone for.

Whether all this will be visible when I put the cockpit sides and top on is another matter.

Now if I can only get Flickr to work for me........!

• Like 1